March 24, 201610 yr Big 12 is deciding on expansion at the end of May/beginning of June. If they expand I expect UC to be one of the additions. If they get left out or if the Big 12 decides to stay at 10, UC is in trouble... Correct, and the definition of a true mid-major program. UC isn't UK, North Carolina, Duke, Michigan, Ohio State. UC is an inner-city school run into the ground by an incompetent president and board of trustees. Their athletic dept. is in financial hurt because of the Varsity Village debacle and Kelly's football practice facility. They are closer to being Detroit than Louisville.
March 24, 201610 yr I haven't said anything about Ray Harper so that would make it impossible to be wrong. You said quite a bit actually. See controversial topics.
March 24, 201610 yr They are closer to being Detroit than Louisville. Completely ridiculous and indefensible statement.
March 24, 201610 yr Correct, and the definition of a true mid-major program. UC isn't UK, North Carolina, Duke, Michigan, Ohio State. UC is an inner-city school run into the ground by an incompetent president and board of trustees. Their athletic dept. is in financial hurt because of the Varsity Village debacle and Kelly's football practice facility. They are closer to being Detroit than Louisville. Congratulations! You are the winner of my first thumbs down / dislike with this post.
March 24, 201610 yr Laughing at how gullible you all are. Cronin is in Cincy right now. The big announcement shortly. Keep an eye on the UC website. lol And I love how gullible some are that about the Big 12. BYU and Colorado State are the two they add, if they add. Most Big 12 schools want no expansion. Only Oklahoma and West Va. want expansion. The NCAA is allowing them to play a conference football championship with 10 members now. As @gametime said earlier, UC is in big trouble if the Big 12 says no thanks. They might be in the Conference USA with Western Ky. Cronin the Drama Queen and his gullible president Ono will have your big announcement shortly. You heard it here. Enjoy your bantering. Not gullible. I was wanting to see what you had to say today
March 24, 201610 yr UC AD told channel 19 they are still waiting for him to get back from Vegas. Edited March 24, 201610 yr by Clyde
March 24, 201610 yr UC AD td channel 19 they are still waiting for him to get back from Vegas. I thought he was in Cincy lol.
March 24, 201610 yr You said quite a bit actually. See controversial topics. Ok, where did I say anything about Ray Harper? Keep stirring.
March 24, 201610 yr UC AD told channel 19 they are still waiting for him to get back from Vegas. Nothing about the press conference though?
March 24, 201610 yr Completely ridiculous and indefensible statement. To be fair and honest, UC's athletic department budget and university profile much more resembles a MAC school than a Big 12 school. The issue is the Basketball Program is historically Top 20, so the expectations of the fan-base is they play with the big boys. Mick is a great guy off the court, and has done a great job at UC with what he has been supported with.
March 24, 201610 yr I'm sitting here at this press conference right now and I'm the only one here except for this guy :
March 24, 201610 yr That's at the crux of what I'm saying if UC doesn't have the money to upgrade facilities and Cronin can't win much more without those upgrades , why continue down the same path at a higher price. If upgrades aren't coming , try someone else to see if a new approach can help. I have no inside information, and I am not entirely sure whether or not I would take the same course of action, but I can see the thought process. As GT and others have alluded, everything rides on conference expansion and money. As a Louisville fan I hate that we're not in the same conference, and I hate it for all my UC fan friends. Both schools lost out on the Big 12 when WVU got nabbed, and U of L had better football facilities and happened to be having more success at the perfect time when the ACC was looking for a new member. So UC needs upgrades. Nippert is an absolute joy to watch a football game, but realistically the only way to make more money from football is from the renovations including suites. 5/3 on the other hand is a horrible place to watch a game unless you have great seats, but unfortunately basketball doesn't move the dial like football. So money is needed all around, and the school has to compete for donor money with Xavier, the Reds, and the Bengals. It makes sense to me that UC would spend any money they could grab to build up football in hopes that a new conference will give them more TV and bowl cash plus increased fan interest which could then flow to the basketball program. I would bet this decision to delay basketball support was made easier by the thought that Mick is tied to the area and would have outside incentives to not leave. Apparently Mick is either tired of this or is calling UC's bluff. Either way, put me in the camp of hoping he stays, the Big 12 comes calling, and the basketball programs gets to play a major conference schedule with a solid coach like they deserve.
March 24, 201610 yr To be fair and honest, UC's athletic department budget and university profile much more resembles a MAC school than a Big 12 school. The issue is the Basketball Program is historically Top 20, so the expectations of the fan-base is they play with the big boys. Mick is a great guy off the court, and has done a great job at UC with what he has been supported with. Their facilities, even though basketball is behind are no where near mid major.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.