March 24, 201610 yr I honestly don't get why UC would offer Cronin anything to stay. I know UC fans will jump on me but isn't it time to be the #1 program in your own city again ? If he does leave I think it could be a blessing in disguise. The problem with UC letting Cronin go is that UC is a mid-major school with average facilities, weak funding, and as big of a Bearcat fan I am I'll admit this: a small fan base. The best realistic hire they could make in Cronin's place would be Larry Davis. He did a nice job filling in when Cronin was out, but that would still be a minor step back.
March 24, 201610 yr I honestly don't get why UC would offer Cronin anything to stay. I know UC fans will jump on me but isn't it time to be the #1 program in your own city again ? If he does leave I think it could be a blessing in disguise. Xavier went all in on supporting basketball while UC went the other direction with football. There hasn't been one significant investment in the program in the decade that Mick has been head coach. Reality is it is a damn miracle he has taken them to six consecutive NCAA Tournament bids with what he has to work with. Ask X, avoiding a down year or two is difficult even when you invest all resources...
March 24, 201610 yr Xavier went all in on supporting basketball while UC went the other direction with football. There hasn't been one significant investment in the program in the decade that Mick has been head coach. Reality is it is a damn miracle he has taken them to six consecutive NCAA Tournament bids with what he has to work with. Ask X, avoiding a down year or two is difficult even when you invest all resources... I know you are a defender of Cronin and I mean no ill will. But eventually even though all that is true you need to move on as a program or be happy being #2. If this is the ceiling for UC basketball for the foreseeable future that's disappointing. It's the old chicken or the egg. You need a product to make boosters to be excited about donating money , but it's hard to do that without the boosters money. Maybe a fresh face will excite some money to be donated.
March 24, 201610 yr I hope Pitt goes after him. That's one less team Carolina would have to worry about.
March 24, 201610 yr I know you are a defender of Cronin and I mean no ill will. But eventually even though all that is true you need to move on as a program or be happy being #2. If this is the ceiling for UC basketball for the foreseeable future that's disappointing. It's the old chicken or the egg. You need a product to make boosters to be excited about donating money , but it's hard to do that without the boosters money. Maybe a fresh face will excite some money to be donated. Has nothing to do with defending Cronin, it is about the state of the program as a whole. UC has raised over a hundred million for facilities since Mick was hired, and all of it went to football. Because of that they are struggling to get the funding in place to renovate 5/3 Arena because the major donors are tapped out. Unless you have a T Boone Pickins type donor, it is hard to continue trying to tap the same well over and over again. This is about the administration at UC more than anything. Do they want to be a major player in basketball, and if so are they willing to do what it takes to get there. If it is the former, get this deal with Mick worked out and start actually moving forward instead of spinning their wheels and making hollow promises. If not, let Mick go, hire a young coach for half what Mick is making and hope he can continue doing more with a lot less like the guy before him. Decision time either way...
March 24, 201610 yr I know you are a defender of Cronin and I mean no ill will. But eventually even though all that is true you need to move on as a program or be happy being #2. If this is the ceiling for UC basketball for the foreseeable future that's disappointing. It's the old chicken or the egg. You need a product to make boosters to be excited about donating money , but it's hard to do that without the boosters money. Maybe a fresh face will excite some money to be donated. Not a UC fan but I understand Cronin's possition. Everything is dictated by football which has backed his program into a corner. They are is a terrible basketball conference with not many attractive teams to come and see, and their facilities are the pits. I know they are supposed to renivate the arena, but when will that happen. He's between a rock and a hard place.
March 24, 201610 yr Has nothing to do with defending Cronin, it is about the state of the program as a whole. UC has raised over a hundred million for facilities since Mick was hired, and all of it went to football. Because of that they are struggling to get the funding in place to renovate 5/3 Arena because the major donors are tapped out. Unless you have a T Boone Pickins type donor, it is hard to continue trying to tap the same well over and over again. This is about the administration at UC more than anything. Do they want to be a major player in basketball, and if so are they willing to do what it takes to get there. If it is the former, get this deal with Mick worked out and start actually moving forward instead of spinning their wheels and making hollow promises. If not, let Mick go, hire a young coach for half what Mick is making and hope he can continue doing more with a lot less like the guy before him. Decision time either way... This might be a little of topic but possibly related due to financial / fundraising issues, but it seems to me that with the exception of UConn that Cincinnati was likely the school that was most hurt during the last round of conference raiding. I'd imagine that a lot of the money spent on football was done so to try to make them attractive to the potential suitors that were going to raid the Big East. Being on the outside looking in as got to be tough as I'd imagine the revenue sharing for both bowls and NCAA tourney is much less in the American. That being said, I don't feel like the conference shakeup is complete, possibly just paused for a few years. I feel like ultimately we will see conferences getting to 16 members and possibly trying to separate from the mid majors. You have more inside information than most. Any thoughts from your perspective as to if / when the conference raiding will begin again?
March 24, 201610 yr Has nothing to do with defending Cronin, it is about the state of the program as a whole. UC has raised over a hundred million for facilities since Mick was hired, and all of it went to football. Because of that they are struggling to get the funding in place to renovate 5/3 Arena because the major donors are tapped out. Unless you have a T Boone Pickins type donor, it is hard to continue trying to tap the same well over and over again. This is about the administration at UC more than anything. Do they want to be a major player in basketball, and if so are they willing to do what it takes to get there. If it is the former, get this deal with Mick worked out and start actually moving forward instead of spinning their wheels and making hollow promises. If not, let Mick go, hire a young coach for half what Mick is making and hope he can continue doing more with a lot less like the guy before him. Decision time either way... That's at the crux of what I'm saying if UC doesn't have the money to upgrade facilities and Cronin can't win much more without those upgrades , why continue down the same path at a higher price. If upgrades aren't coming , try someone else to see if a new approach can help.
March 24, 201610 yr Which direction do you think is the most likely outcome? Good question. They have 24-48 hours to make that decision...
March 24, 201610 yr This might be a little of topic but possibly related due to financial / fundraising issues, but it seems to me that with the exception of UConn that Cincinnati was likely the school that was most hurt during the last round of conference raiding. I'd imagine that a lot of the money spent on football was done so to try to make them attractive to the potential suitors that were going to raid the Big East. Being on the outside looking in as got to be tough as I'd imagine the revenue sharing for both bowls and NCAA tourney is much less in the American. That being said, I don't feel like the conference shakeup is complete, possibly just paused for a few years. I feel like ultimately we will see conferences getting to 16 members and possibly trying to separate from the mid majors. You have more inside information than most. Any thoughts from your perspective as to if / when the conference raiding will begin again? Big 12 is deciding on expansion at the end of May/beginning of June. If they expand I expect UC to be one of the additions. If they get left out or if the Big 12 decides to stay at 10, UC is in trouble...
March 24, 201610 yr Not a UC fan but I understand Cronin's possition. Everything is dictated by football which has backed his program into a corner. They are is a terrible basketball conference with not many attractive teams to come and see, and their facilities are the pits. I know they are supposed to renivate the arena, but when will that happen. He's between a rock and a hard place. Funny how things change. Years ago if you wanted basketball season tickets you had to buy football tickets.
March 24, 201610 yr Mark Anderson @markanderson65 8m8 minutes ago Tina Kunzer-Murphy just texted to say talks still taking place with Mick Cronin. #UNLVmbb #RJnow
March 24, 201610 yr Big 12 is deciding on expansion at the end of May/beginning of June. If they expand I expect UC to be one of the additions. If they get left out or if the Big 12 decides to stay at 10, UC is in trouble... UC is not even close to being a mid-major school. In my opinion the Big 12 would be silly not to add them.
March 24, 201610 yr You see is not even close to being a mid-major school. In my opinion the Big 12 would be silly not to add them. If they expand, they have to add two. Who's the other school? Memphis?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.