Bobcat Stalks, Attacks Turkey Hunter

Watusi

This hunter is lucky he didn’t receive any injuries from this bobcat attack!

With two longbeards already tagged, Kevin Walter of Manassas, Va., was having a pretty good spring — but the most exciting moments of the season were yet to come. When the gobbler he was working this morning went tightlipped, Walter, a wildlife biologist at Fort Belvoir, set up in a new area on the side of a hill.

“After sitting for a few minutes I looked downhill and spotted a bobcat making its way toward me,” he said.

As the cat approached within 10 yards behind him, Walter took out his camera phone to record the seldom-seen animal.

“When it got directly behind me, I gave a few squirrel distress calls,” he said. “That stopped it in its tracks, and it peered around a tree to look at me.”

Walter thinks the shape and black color of the phone, and what may have looked like the eyes of a meal to the bobcat (the camera lens and flash windows on the back of the phone) triggered a predatory response. The cat began to stalk the fully-camouflaged hunter, who kept the camera rolling.

“It stopped about 4 yards away with its tail flittering about. Then, just like that, it jumped right at my phone, which was next to my face. I swatted it away, and it bounced off my arm and took off like a bat outta hell through the woods.”

Walter received no injuries. That’s one lucky hunter—and one bewildered bobcat.

I've never seen one either TR and there are lots of them around here.

That is really rare for a bobcat to come that close, obviously this guy was in full camo or it would have been a different story.

It just thought this was pretty cool.

Unless those counties are in a state other than KY then it comes in earlier than that. In KY it comes in statewide in late November and goes out in February.

Greenup county is in KY. Bobcat harvesting came up in discussion this year when a buddy of mine saw one in the field and didn't know if he could pop it or not. Good thing he didn't.

Greenup county is in KY. Bobcat harvesting came up in discussion this year when a buddy of mine saw one in the field and didn't know if he could pop it or not. Good thing he didn't.

I knew it came in during deer season but to be honest I thought it was a lot earlier than late Nov. I guess it's a good thing I've never seen one.