Random Math Thread : Puzzles , Jokes , Problems, Funny Anecdotes, Random Thoughts

Science Friction

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll leave you all with this one. Made this one up a few years ago.

Mismatched Joe is in a pitch dark room picking out socks from a dresser drawer. There is a total of six socks in the drawer. There are only blue and brown socks. He can't tell anything about the color by just the feel of the sock. He chooses two socks at random. If he has a 2/3 chance of picking out a pair of blue socks, what is the chance he chooses a pair of brown socks?

I'll leave you all with this one. Made this one up a few years ago. Mismatched Joe is in a pitch dark room picking out socks from a dresser drawer. There is a total of six socks in the drawer. There are only blue and brown socks. He can't tell anything about the color by just the feel of the sock. He chooses two socks at random. If he has a 2/3 chance of picking out a pair of blue socks' date=' what is the chance he chooses a pair of brown socks?[/quote']

1/6

And one more probability question... I've had people argue up and down about this one. John has three children. If you are told that at least one of the children is a boy' date=' what's the probability that John has three sons?[/quote']

BBB

BBG

BGG

Imagine that the distance from the earth to the sun (93 million miles, or about 8 light minutes) is compressed to the thickness of a typical sheet of paper. On this scale, the nearest star (Proxima Centauri @4.3 light years) is at a distance of 71 feet. The diameter of the Milky Way (100,000 light years) would require a 310 mile high stack of paper, while the distance to the Andromeda galaxy (at 2 million light years , one of the most distant objects visible to the naked eye) would require a stack of paper more than 6000 miles high! On this scale, the "edge" of the Universe, defined as the most distance known galaxy ever discovered(EGSY2008532660), some 13.25 billion light years away, is not reached until the stack of paper is almost 41.5 million miles high--nearly half of the way to the sun on the real scale of things! WOW! I LOVE SCIENCE!