Old 38th District

Which is better, Old or New Alignment  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better, Old or New Alignment

I was looking at some stats recently from district tournaments. From the Old 38th District Tournament of Augusta, Deming (now Robertson) Bracken, and Pendleton. How would this current district be in today's game?

It would be very competitive on paper: Keaton Belcher into his second year at Pendleton with a competitive group of kids who surprised a lot last year, Jason Hinson returning home to Bracken County with a group of talented kids who had a disastrous season last year and high hopes this year, and Brian Kirk returning to Augusta with a team who won All A last year.

All three coaches are at their alma mater, all three great coaches.

It seems like with the going of the old district and the old Bracken County gym the rivalries went away too. I remember before the PC vs. BC game at the Igloo last year where Bracken won by a last second shot. Before the game I was asking a fellow Polar Bear if they were ready for the big rivalry game tonight and the responded by saying, "How are us and Pendleton rivals?."

My parents graduates of Bracken(83) and Augusta(82) would tell me stories of basketball and baseball games between these schools and how much animosity one had for the other. Where did all the fun rivalries go? Also to the guys at PCRO who realized the same thing I did at trying to start up the rivalry again.

Did the KHSAA really do a favor by separating us? Do any other old districts in the 10th region feel the alignment would be different in their old district? Does anyone care to weigh in on this this? Remember, please be constructive:

Edited by BrooksvilleBear

I was looking at some stats recently from district tournaments. From the Old 38th District Tournament of Augusta, Deming (now Robertson) Bracken, and Pendleton. How would this current district be in today's game?

It would be very competitive on paper: Keaton Belcher into his second year at Pendleton with a competitive group of kids who surprised a lot last year, Jason Hinson returning home to Bracken County with a group of talented kids who had a disastrous season last year and high hopes this year, and Brian Kirk returning to Augusta with a team who won All A last year.

All three coaches are at their alma mater, all three great coaches.

It seems like with the going of the old district and the old Bracken County gym the rivalries went away too. I remember before the PC vs. BC game at the Igloo last year where Bracken won by a last second shot. Before the game I was asking a fellow Polar Bear if they were ready for the big rivalry game tonight and the responded by saying, "How are us and Pendleton rivals?."

My parents graduates of Bracken(83) and Augusta(82) would tell me stories of basketball and baseball games between these schools and how much animosity one had for the other. Where did all the fun rivalries go? Also to the guys at PCRO who realized the same thing I did at trying to start up the rivalry again.

Did the KHSAA really do a favor by separating us? Do any other old districts in the 10th region feel the alignment would be different in their old district? Does anyone care to weigh in on this this? Remember, please be constructive:

We gave it all we had. I'd say with basketball season looming, it'll fire back up again.

It was better back in them days for sure. I wouldnt consider Bracken and Pendleton rivals anymore. Just does not have the feel of a rivalry game sine they were put in different districts. But back in the day man it was brutal PC hated BC, and the feeling was mutual for the BC folks about PC.

Another good district was the Mason Fleming district. Several great games. Going back even even farther to when Maysville and Tollesboro were still in action. Man those were some good times.

Kids get along too much nowadays. Imagine what social media would've been like during this time. :sssh:

I agree with this 100%. Not that it's a bad thing more kids getting along. But I think it waters down old bitter rivalry games. I think the AAU circuit is the main contributor to this because all the kids are playing summer ball together and building friendships which is great but takes away from the high school game a little. Hard to get that killer mentality when your good friend from the summer team is "D"ing you up.

I agree with this 100%. Not that it's a bad thing more kids getting along. But I think it waters down old bitter rivalry games. I think the AAU circuit is the main contributor to this because all the kids are playing summer ball together and building friendships which is great but takes away from the high school game a little. Hard to get that killer mentality when your good friend from the summer team is "D"ing you up.

I agree...It was kind of tongue in cheek with the comment. I agree, I am glad kids get along much more. It does change up the rivalry games though.

It was better back in them days for sure. I wouldnt consider Bracken and Pendleton rivals anymore. Just does not have the feel of a rivalry game sine they were put in different districts. But back in the day man it was brutal PC hated BC, and the feeling was mutual for the BC folks about PC.

Another good district was the Mason Fleming district. Several great games. Going back even even farther to when Maysville and Tollesboro were still in action. Man those were some good times.

Really liked that '88 Maysville team( I think that's the year), Kirk, Black, Case, Moore, etc.