The art of scheduling refs

CENTERREF

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would speculate there are not enough refs due to a lack of new refs joining the NKY association and some of the existing refs have either quit or retired.

Boys HS play in the fall, girls HS play in the spring, like the majority of the country does. Makes a lot sense and resolves a lot of issues.

Softball already takes enough of a hit with Select soccer in the spring, this is a terrible idea.

You would think the pay difference would be easy to fix but the schools keep saying no to more money. What makes it even more upsetting is when refs in other parts of the state make substantially more. I bet most people don't know that the CR for varsity and the jv will make the same amount at the end of the night.

"Boys HS play in the fall, girls HS play in the spring, like the majority of the country does. Makes a lot sense and resolves a lot of issues.

Softball already takes enough of a hit with Select soccer in the spring, this is a terrible idea.

If girls decide to play soccer over softball there are reasons, they like soccer more, softball is boring, to name a few. Don't blame soccer. Was is a terrible idea is offering kids fewer options in hope they play some sport (softball) they might otherwise not play.

Is softball is a great sport to play kids will choose to play it over other sports, apparently this is not the case.

I would speculate there are not enough refs due to a lack of new refs joining the NKY association and some of the existing refs have either quit or retired.

Boys HS play in the fall, girls HS play in the spring, like the majority of the country does. Makes a lot sense and resolves a lot of issues.

Maybe 20 states play girls hs soccer in the spring. That's a thin majority.

Maybe 20 states play girls hs soccer in the spring. That's a thin majority.

Girls soccer being a spring sport is mostly in the states where Field Hockey has been the dominant fall sport for Girls and soccer is a fairly recent addition (in the last 15-20 years).

I sure hope not, I want to think the refs are doing their best each and every time out now due to self pride and trying to do their best for the players. If you pay the same refs more money and they start doing a better job because of it, the ref situation is in way worse shape then some on here state it is.

If the State pays your kids' school teachers more money will they do a better job? I want to believe my kids' teachers are doing the absolute best job they can right, no matter what the pay is.

Now if more money results in more experienced, more qualified refs signing up, then YES, we should expect improvement.

"Boys HS play in the fall, girls HS play in the spring, like the majority of the country does. Makes a lot sense and resolves a lot of issues.

If girls decide to play soccer over softball there are reasons, they like soccer more, softball is boring, to name a few. Don't blame soccer. Was is a terrible idea is offering kids fewer options in hope they play some sport (softball) they might otherwise not play.

Is softball is a great sport to play kids will choose to play it over other sports, apparently this is not the case.

....and some can say the same thing about soccer.

You also have HS coaches stressing the importance of playing select soccer to improve your chances of making/playing the following season, so this puts undo pressure on kids to choose. Also, HS softball is the ONLY HS sport that gets "hi-jacked" by the "Big 3" (basketball,volleyball, & soccer) with AAU, Club, & Select playing during their season.

In almost every occupation the pay scale is increased when you gain experience and a higher education. A school teacher with more experience and a master degree makes more than one with a bachelor degree. A teach with a PhD and more experience makes more than one with a master degree. The teachers are working for the same school system and teaching the same level students, so it is the level of education and experience that dictates the pay level.

This may be part one of a two part solution to help the referee problem.

If referees were paid more with a higher education (higher referee grade level) and more experience, it only make sense they will become better refs and this provides one incentive for them to get better. A grade 1 referee should make more then a grade 2, etc. And in at some point (professional leagues) maybe they do earn more.

With the current system a grade 8 ref with one week experience makes the same as the grade 5 ref with 10 years experience, completely senseless.

Part two is the difficult part. Will schools be willing to pay more for a higher grade level, more experienced referee?

This same solution should be used for club soccer, but again will the club be willing to pay more?

Does it equate to "you get what you pay for"?

I see another issue with this in that some schools will want "discount" referees that are cheaper and other will only want the best and it will then become a favoritism contest. "Why did we get so and so?" "We deserve what's his name" seems like the better pay option opens up some other problem.