The art of scheduling refs

CENTERREF

Do schools not always look to hire the best teachers? If not they should. Do parents not always look to send their children to the best schools? If not they should. Good teachers are recruited and retained by better pay.

If schools want to go cheap and get inexperience, low level referees then the coaches and parents need to speak up and demand better, same as they do for better teachers.

I agree it may need some work, but I have yet to read or hear of any solution to a growing problem. Doing nothing more then complaining about the problem will never fix it.

And I heard schools get to X out so many referees, maybe 6 each season. So there is already a format in place to say "we don't want what's his name".

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see another issue with this in that some schools will want "discount" referees that are cheaper and other will only want the best and it will then become a favoritism contest. "Why did we get so and so?" "We deserve what's his name" seems like the better pay option opens up some other problem.

No-one deserves "so and so" but he keeps getting assigned. Go figure.

Would love for someone to explain to me how this current system (see below) makes ANY sense.

With the current system a grade 8 ref with one week experience makes the same as the grade 5 ref with 10 years experience, completely senseless.

Depends where you live... In Seattle, San Fran and soon to be NYC it makes perfect sense.

Would love for someone to explain to me how this current system (see below) makes ANY sense.

With the current system a grade 8 ref with one week experience makes the same as the grade 5 ref with 10 years experience, completely senseless.

One is doing the exact same job as the other. Neither one has more responsibilities than the other, therefore same pay.

First thing is this is the USSF scale being discussed in that comment not high school.

Second is the pay in general is based on the game level being done rather than grade. So in a sense if the assignor is doing their job a 1 week grade 8 isn't getting the same games as a grade 5 (national referee candidate).

Third is some tournaments do have a pay incentive for high level refs. They get a per game bonus. No club up here does this though. When I discussed this with some fellow ussf refs most thought it stupid. Those are also the refs that have no interest in upgrading though. Go figure.

One is doing the exact same job as the other. Neither one has more responsibilities than the other, therefore same pay.

This is not necessarily true. You are not getting the same calibre of product from both refs.

Same reason the professional painter costs more than your out of work uncle.

First thing is this is the USSF scale being discussed in that comment not high school.

Second is the pay in general is based on the game level being done rather than grade. So in a sense if the assignor is doing their job a 1 week grade 8 isn't getting the same games as a grade 5 (national referee candidate).

Third is some tournaments do have a pay incentive for high level refs. They get a per game bonus. No club up here does this though. When I discussed this with some fellow ussf refs most thought it stupid. Those are also the refs that have no interest in upgrading though. Go figure.

Are HS refs graded? I basically used the USSF ref grade level as a reference, point of discussion.

Not to turn this into a club soccer thread but this same system, what I think is a stupid system, is used in club soccer. Same pay no matter what your grade level is, no matter what experience you have.

"A teach with a PhD and more experience makes more than one with a master degree. The teachers are working for the same school system and teaching the same level students, so it is the level of education and experience that dictates the pay level."

Both the PhD teacher with 20 yrs experience and the new grad, one year experience with a bachelor degree teacher has the same responsibilities. But the their pay scale is very different.

Are HS refs graded? I basically used the USSF ref grade level as a reference, point of discussion.

Not to turn this into a club soccer thread but this same system, what I think is a stupid system, is used in club soccer. Same pay no matter what your grade level is, no matter what experience you have.

I think there is some sort of system because when I got an email from our ussf instructor this summer I think his signature had some sort of level listed on it for his high school license. I'd be lying if I told you I knew what it meant though.

HS refs are graded 1 2 3 with 3 being the highest. To become a 3 you need 7 years service and a 90 on an open book test. Not a good berometer compared to club where you actually get assessed. I did hear that the coaches would be able to assess refs this year for hs but I don't know if coaches are participating or if makes a real difference to the assigner.

Let me chime in on the teacher reference they ( teachers ) get paid on years with the school system not necessarily education level , yes there is a slight raise with higher degree but years with school is bigger . Trust me my wife is a private school teacher. I think she makes less than our refs do. If she taught like the some of the refs ref a game she would not be asked back.