What are you spinning? (The New And Improved Version)

Jim Schue

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Came across the dude on the couch last year while in Edinburgh, Scotland sitting across from the St. Giles Cathedral on the Royal Mile playing his acoustic.

Chatted with him for a while and listened to a few of his tunes, and he turned the guitar over to me to play for him one of my originals.

His name is Pete G. Nicholson and he plays solo around clubs in Edinburgh, and used to be the keyboardist and backup vocalist for a full band named Echo Arcadia. Here he's with a smaller folk trio named Folk Rag.

He played this tune for me during our meeting.

Folk Rag - "Feelin' Down"

• 3 weeks later...
Bought a CD from FreekBass last weekend that I'm bumping in my car. Guy's still fantastic after all these years. Saw him way back in the day when I still lived in CVG back around the turn of the century. Dude's always been funky.

Real glad that Chris found his niche and has made a formidable career of what he does, and is still doing it.

I'm wondering if you were around these parts during the "Sleep Theatre", "Red Math" period of his early playing days in Cincy, or the "Shag" w/ Bootzy stuff that lead him to what he does now?

They were pretty groovy bands with "Sleep Theatre" also including a real talented keyboardist named Itaal Shur who split to New York to write, play,either solo or with projects, and also do production work for other named artists.

I believe that I once saw you post that you hate this song, and it's not exactly my fav either, but Itaal is credited as a co-writer with Rob Thomas on the Santana tune "Smooth".

Not bad to have a Number 1 Grammy winner on his resume. He's also written songs for the likes of Maxwell, Jewel, and Enrique Iglesias.

My introduction to these guys is when I began working and schooling at the University of Cincinnati and Itaal was in my acting class, and I bummed around with him for a while in his studio, and really dug his Sleep Theatre band that was essentially Itaal's brainchild, but Chris laid down some real nice dynamic bass lines to their tunes. Their live club shows were cool, artistic, and very original. It was apparent then that these guys had what it took to go places. They were more innovators than they were followers.

Though guys like Mark Ronson are now getting a lot of notice for their retro disco sound that they're laying on some modern stuff, Itaal for years has been releasing similar styled stuff under various named projects that got little notice, but I have a hunch that Ronson is well aware of Itaal. I can't say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm guessing that Itaal is quietly doing alright for himself because I've no doubt that he's always up to doing something artistic.

Initially I thought that it was sad that Itaal and Chris went their separate ways because I really dug what the created together, but neither have suffered from having to spread their wings and do their own thing.

Bought a CD from FreekBass last weekend that I'm bumping in my car. Guy's still fantastic after all these years. Saw him way back in the day when I still lived in CVG back around the turn of the century. Dude's always been funky.

Got see them a couple times around 1998-2000, last time was at a music festival down by where Crocketts on the river used to be in Newport. Set a stage up right by the river with downtown Cincy as a backdrop. It was a great show!

Always fantastically funky...check out the Louisville and Bear Creek sets:

VIDEO | Freekbass :thumb: