Top Middle School players in the NKY

TheHardaway

Kyle Reminds me alot of Travis Elliot when he was that age. With some good work in the weight room before next year the sky is the limit. The kid can play D also, he can hit, they just don't let him play D much if at all.

I don't think I would let him play much D either. He is a standout and wouldn't want to risk injury and the Union team has a lot of good players to put out there.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the Dixie coaches are not involved with the middle school. Make the kids feel part of the program. Cov cath, Highlands, Campbell co and Scott all do it. I'll bet that the varsity football and basketball coaches at Dixie don't know the 6th grade coaches. I bet they don't know the kids. That's the difference.

What do these other schools do, to make them feel part of the program?

It is vital for the high school coaches to be involved in football that feeds their program...ALL THE WAY DOWN TO YOUTH LEAGUE.

Our middle school teams are running MOST if not ALL of the high school terminology and plays. They do that to get a head start for when they get there. Many of the high school coaches watch the middle school games and film.

Even our youth program is following the direction of the head high school coach. That is how we've been so successful over the years.

What do these other schools do, to make them feel part of the program?

Invite the younger kids to a varsity practice or a game. Assign a varsity player to come to the younger kids practice. Have the middle school coaches teach the same plays and talk the same lingo, then when the younger kid comes to games he is hearing the same stuff being coached. Have the younger kid sit behind the bench at a basketball game. Bring the younger team into their locker room after games. Let the younger kid into the game free if they have their school uniform on. The varsity coach should come to the 6th grade games and practices, and talk to the younger kids. Bring some t shirts and give them to the younger group. The varsity program should know all the younger kids in their program. Some coaches are not their for the love of teaching the game they are just going thru the motions.

Invite the younger kids to a varsity practice or a game. Assign a varsity player to come to the younger kids practice. Have the middle school coaches teach the same plays and talk the same lingo, then when the younger kid comes to games he is hearing the same stuff being coached. Have the younger kid sit behind the bench at a basketball game. Bring the younger team into their locker room after games. Let the younger kid into the game free if they have their school uniform on. The varsity coach should come to the 6th grade games and practices, and talk to the younger kids. Bring some t shirts and give them to the younger group. The varsity program should know all the younger kids in their program. Some coaches are not their for the love of teaching the game they are just going thru the motions.

From what I understand, which is I admit limited, almost all the things you mentioned are not done in Ft. Thomas. I mention them because to me they are the benchmark program in the state, period and I think programs should look hard at what they do to achieve that success.

I can can see maybe every once in awhile the varsity coach coming to a game or two but how much do you want them to do in a given week? Most varsity programs I am aware of don't have any free time during the season to make it to middle school games, consistently. Heck, some varsity coaches have trouble finding time to get to freshman games. Maybe the varsity coach could come talk to the team one night prior to the season.

During the off season you want the varsity coach to have the middle school team sit with him at basketball games behind the bench? I could see maybe have a middle school night, like a little get together but only for one night.

To to me it doesn't matter what you call the plays and terminology used, what matters is teaching them how to play football. Heck, every year the returning JV/varsity have to re-learn things because they don't exactly retain things like many coaches wish they would and that's after being with the varsity coaches for a whole year.

I do not think middle school kids need to be in a high school team locker after a game, really at all. Yes, most programs have a coach or coaches in the locker rooms at all times to monitor things but there is a reason teams do this.

I think most programs do let players in if they wear their jersey to the game.

I do like the idea of having a varsity player come to a practice. Could be set up to have it as a mentor program for Seniors.

I think something else the varsity could do, would be to have a free 3 day camp for all the players in their district. Use the JV/Varsity players to assist in running the drills and teaching, in addition to having the Freshman/JV/Varsity teaching and interacting with the kid before the upcoming season. This is also a great way for the parents to meet the coaches and watch them in action.

The points I am making are not an attempt to argue or totally disagree, just a point counter point discussion.

The key is the high school coach has to be involved with the feeder teams. Talking/encouraging the coaches and players and showing your face at games goes a long way with the younger kids. Not a huge fan of running the same O and D as the high school. I would rather have incoming freshman with good fundamentals rather than poor fundamentals but they know the O and D terminology. Everybody involved has to be on the same page from top to bottom. High school coaches should have a vested interest in their feeder programs.

The key is the high school coach has to be involved with the feeder teams. Talking/encouraging the coaches and players and showing your face at games goes a long way with the younger kids. Not a huge fan of running the same O and D as the high school. I would rather have incoming freshman with good fundamentals rather than poor fundamentals but they know the O and D terminology. Everybody involved has to be on the same page from top to bottom. High school coaches should have a vested interest in their feeder programs.

Thats the point i was trying to get across