Top 5 Mr. Basketballs since 2008?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a topic for a different thread, but If you were to compare recent Mr. Basketball winners to those who won several years ago, I don't think they would compare very favorablly at all. Seems like the award has been watered down some, due to the fact that many of the best players (think D'Angelo Russell) have left for out of state academies. I guess the same is probably true for a lot of states. I understand why they choose to leave, but it's unfortunate for high school basketball fans as we often no longer get to see the best talent that the state produces play locally.

I'm not so sure. Just looking at the names of the winners since 2008 all of them at the very least held their own at high level D-1 schools. It definitely sucks to have not been able to see D'Angelo Russell guide Central to a state title but recent winners were all studs at the high school level and all went and played high level D-1 ball somewhere. Other than Russell, Beverly, Grundy and the Cooper kid from Waggener this season who else has left the state to go play at an out of state academy? Seems like there have been way more talented kids staying in state than leaving.

Apollo lost most of their team to prep schools this year. Rondo left Eastern. OJ Mayo and Billy Walker left Rose Hill. There have been quite a few others that I am missing and the number will continue to grow as more and more of these basketball prep schools are becoming popular.

And there was no way Scotty Hopson would win the award that year. He only played on one end of the floor, regularly stared down opposing coaches when he scored a bucket, often was a loose cannon on the court and chose to go to UT. Plus his team didn't win big enough. He could have been ranked #1 in the country and the award would have went to the UK kid who won a state title and was a class act.

Apollo lost most of their team to prep schools this year. Rondo left Eastern. OJ Mayo and Billy Walker left Rose Hill. There have been quite a few others that I am missing and the number will continue to grow as more and more of these basketball prep schools are becoming popular.

I forgot about the Apollo kids.

I don't know that we can claim OJ Mayo or Billy Walker and they went to three different high schools in all didn't they?

Rondo was a long time ago. How many went to prep schools between Rondo and Russell?

I'm not so sure. Just looking at the names of the winners since 2008 all of them at the very least held their own at high level D-1 schools. It definitely sucks to have not been able to see D'Angelo Russell guide Central to a state title but recent winners were all studs at the high school level and all went and played high level D-1 ball somewhere. Other than Russell, Beverly, Grundy and the Cooper kid from Waggener this season who else has left the state to go play at an out of state academy? Seems like there have been way more talented kids staying in state than leaving.

As an Apollo fan, I had the Eli Wright & Trace Young in mind when making this post. I'm sure there are others was well. Not to say that either of these two would have won Mr. Basketball, but I think both would have been in the running.

Since the 08 Miller/ Hopson debate has already been brought up. Just to add something to that. 2008 high school basketball was really something special here in the bluegrass. There were quite a few players that year that probably would have won Mr Basketball had they been in any other graduating class. Darius Miller, Scotty Hopson, Shelvin Mack, and of course the very sad wasted talent of Bud Mackey. Does anyone recall another year in Kentucky were there was that level of talent?

If we're defining this by who was most dominant in SW16 game play, it's Hickey all day long. Incredible will to win and do whatever it took to make it happen.

I agree. Didn't he get a triple double against Shelby Valley? Points, assists and steals or something like that? His performance in the SW16 that year was the best overall performance I have seen in Rupp. Blew me away and I had seen him play earlier in the season.