Unexpected people in unexpected places

Jim Schue

Working for an airline, saw lots of celebs and wanna-be-celebs. None nicer than Tubby Smith. None more rude than Raven Simone. My favorite encounter (Packer fan that I am) was Andre Rison, late 2005 or early 2006. He was shocked that a middle-aged white woman at CVG would know who he was on sight. Every single one of his knuckles was HUGE. I asked if there was a finger Brett didn't break and he grinned and said, "He throws the heat, Baby!" I dang near melted!! LOL

Of course, in that same job, I ran into a ridiculous amount of former friends and classmates and it is the weirdest thing - looking at that older face and trying to place it, completely out of the context in which you know it.

Umm lets see...

I once was at a bar and as I was leaving I noticed this brand new Dodge Charger. While looking at it, this guy walks up and starts talking about how smooth it rides. It took me a few moments but I realized it was Antwan Odom. We chatted for quite awhile and eventually gave me his phone number in case I ever needed tickets. I never did use it as it didn't feel right.

Ran into Chad Johnson at Best Buy on Black Friday a few years ago. I was to the side of aisle looking at something and he was walking down the aisle with entourage. They had a flat bed cart. They had enough room to get around me but instead Chad decided to ask me if I was going to move. When I told him no he dropped the whole "do you know who I am" line. I replied "yes, but I'm still not moving when you can clearly go around". He wasn't happy but oh well.

In 2010 when the Reds clinched the division I went out to downtown. Recognized Dusty Baker at the bar. I went to buy him a congratulatory beer but when I went to pay, the bartender told me Dusty took care of it. I told him that wasn't necessary and his response was "I know it wasn't and I appreciate the gesture but the bar is paying my tab at the end of the night so why not put it on my tab?" Him and I both had a good chuckle before I went on my way.

I get this a lot, and while I'm great at remembering faces (names not so much), if I see a person in a place where I don't expect them, I get really, really thrown off.

Three recent incidents:

On Saturday while working at the bar, this guy came in whose face I definitely knew, but hadn't seen him for a long, long time. He was feeling the same thing, and asked my name before I could introduce myself.

Turned out it was the eldest son of a gal I used to work with my two summers at Big Bone Lick SP. She was a teacher in her regular life, but she worked at the park in recreation one summer with me. Her husband and three kids were there all the time. The eldest son was I think about 15 or 16 then, and that was 24 years ago. He was in town for a wedding of a friend, and they had a big gap between the wedding and reception, so he ended up at my bar and we caught up. Pretty neat.

Not a couple hours later, I'm off work and went for a drink and a bite to eat at a bar across town, out by Heaven Hill and Willett distilleries. I'm minding my own business, reading the paper, and I overhear these biker folks at the end of the bar talking about places I knew, such as Sanders, as well as them talking about KY highway 184. I look over and shout, "Waitaminute, I know these places."

Turns out, it was a gal and her husband who used to go to my church in Warsaw (never would've pegged them for bikers), as well as a friend of theirs who used to date a different gal who went to my church. Hadn't seen any of them in some time, possibly 10 years. The gal also used to be a substitute teacher when I was in school and I had quite the crush on her in those days. Her brother is also my mom and dad's next-door neighbor. Nice catching up there.

And this was just a totally random thing, and while I'm not 100 percent, I'm fairly certain I saw Jim Bunning and his wife (who is far friendlier than he, from the times I've talked with them) eating at the restaurant I work at tonight. I didn't speak, but only because I wasn't absolutely sure. I was totally thrown off because I wouldn't expect him to be there. I know none of my co-workers would've known who he was, even if he was still in the Senate.

You guys get these weird little "small world" things? Do you get thrown off by them as much as I do, when you see someone you think you recognize at a place you don't in a million years expect them to be at?

Happens to me all the time.

Seems to have turned into a "which celebs have you seen," thread. But I get your premise. I deal with a lot of people, and when I see them outside of the usual environment it really throws me.

In some case I will remember the face, but the name will escape me. In others, I'll remember the name, but their face has changed so much I can't be sure.

Once I connect the two, everything comes back.

20+ years ago I saw Richard Karn (better known as Al Borland) at a Perkins in Florence. That caught me a bit off guard.

Al Borland was the name of a character on Home Improvement (TV show).

Yup, Richard Karn was Tim Allen's sidekick on Home Improvement.

He also hosted a TV show (maybe Family Feud?) for several years.

When I was a little kid, cars were my favorite toys...I had all kinds of toy cars. A guy used to visit a girl that lived across the street from me, and he drove a really cool Thunderbird that I use to walk over and look at, and he let me sit in it one day. He was nice, and I didn't really think much of it. My Mom told me later it was Elvis. (I grew up about a mile from Graceland.)

I read later, he actually only had the car in Memphis for a couple of days, and later was dissatisfied with it and returned it.

When I was a little kid, cars were my favorite toys...I had all kinds of toy cars. A guy used to visit a girl that lived across the street from me, and he drove a really cool Thunderbird that I use to walk over and look at, and he let me sit in it one day. He was nice, and I didn't really think much of it. My Mom told me later it was Elvis. (I grew up about a mile from Graceland.)

:cool:

I was riding a horse in the Clifton Area by UC one night. This big fella comes up and punches my horse in the mouth just like Mongo did in Blazzing Saddles. I knew I recognized his face but couldn't place it and I was too busy tending to my ride. I figured it out a couple nights later when I was watching a UC basketball game on TV.

Today I stopped off at the Dairy Queen in Brownsville, KY. As I entered the restaurant I noticed that there was a group of about 8 to 10 people who had pushed a few tables together in the middle of the restaurant. One of the men looked awfully familiar and was dressed a little nicer than the rest of the group. I knew I had seen him before but just couldn't figure out who it was. Anyhow before I finished eating this group got up to leave and the man came up to my booth and introduced himself and shook my hand. Turns out it was Brett Guthrie. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that I would meet a U.S. Congressman at the DQ in Brownsville.

I was riding a horse in the Clifton Area by UC one night. This big fella comes up and punches my horse in the mouth just like Mongo did in Blazzing Saddles. I knew I recognized his face but couldn't place it and I was too busy tending to my ride. I figured it out a couple nights later when I was watching a UC basketball game on TV.

:lol:

Today I stopped off at the Dairy Queen in Brownsville, KY. As I entered the restaurant I noticed that there was a group of about 8 to 10 people who had pushed a few tables together in the middle of the restaurant. One of the men looked awfully familiar and was dressed a little nicer than the rest of the group. I knew I had seen him before but just couldn't figure out who it was. Anyhow before I finished eating this group got up to leave and the man came up to my booth and introduced himself and shook my hand. Turns out it was Brett Guthrie. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that I would meet a U.S. Congressman at the DQ in Brownsville.

I give Brett credit — he does a good job of getting out and mixing it up with the public from what I've seen. While I'm not totally on board with all of his politics, he is a pretty nice guy from my experience.