Kirkland/Costco brand bourbon

Jim Schue

Some of you have seen it and/or read about it, and probably thumbed your nose at it like I did.

Tried it at the bar I work at and it's pretty darned good. Apparently you can get a litre for about $22, and it's good quality for a 7yo small batch. A very pleasant surprise.

They also make a handful of beers (Pale Ale, German Lager, Amber) that aren't half bad especially considering the price.

The regular "Kirkland Light" is not especially good, however. Every time I use the Kirkland stuff, I feel like it's Dharma Initiative brand and I'm back on that island.

I read somewhere else that it was done by Buffalo Trace.

I spoke with someone at the Cosco Liquor Store who told me the bottle had the same TTB license number as Beam bottles. I'm not sure where you come by that info on the bottle, but the guy seemed knowledgeable enough, and I took him at his word. May well be Buffalo Trace, though.

Some of you have seen it and/or read about it, and probably thumbed your nose at it like I did.

Tried it at the bar I work at and it's pretty darned good. Apparently you can get a litre for about $22, and it's good quality for a 7yo small batch. A very pleasant surprise.

Ok, I just HAVE to, in fun, point out a little irony here.

So, the guy who loathes most popular "mass" music and who can't stand the Eagles, one of the best selling most popular bands of all time, is touting how good the store brand Bourbon is from a mass market producer?

That, gentleman, is irony at it's finest.:lol2:

Ok, I just HAVE to, in fun, point out a little irony here.

So, the guy who loathes most popular "mass" music and who can't stand the Eagles, one of the best selling most popular bands of all time, is touting how good the store brand Bourbon is from a mass market producer?

That, gentleman, is irony at it's finest.:lol2:

Like that old Kris Kristofferson song: "He's a walking contradiction/partly truth, partly fiction."

But since you believe "big sales" = "good," you must think the stuff that tops the pop charts these days is good.

Still, if you looked through my record collection you might be surprised at what you find.

Like that old Kris Kristofferson song: "He's a walking contradiction/partly truth, partly fiction."

But since you believe "big sales" = "good," you must think the stuff that tops the pop charts these days is good.

Still, if you looked through my record collection you might be surprised at what you find.

No, no, didn't say that. Most I hear is crap, but then I don't listen to a lot of it either.

Just made me chuckle a little when you brought up Costco Bourbon given your dislike for "mass market" items in other areas. Sounds like tough they contracted out to the right group who came up with a good recipe.

No, no, didn't say that. Most I hear is crap, but then I don't listen to a lot of it either.

Just made me chuckle a little when you brought up Costco Bourbon given your dislike for "mass market" items in other areas. Sounds like tough they contracted out to the right group who came up with a good recipe.

I don't shop at Costco, but my brother does regularly. I may have him pick some of that up for me.

Was I imagining it, or did someone on one of the Bourbon-related threads post something about Trader Joe's Bourbon being pretty good?