20 Year Old Develops Way To Remove 7,250,000 Tons Of Plastic From World's Oceans

B-Ball-fan

What were you doing at age 20 to save the world?

Personally I wasn't doing squat, nor have I done much of anything to speak of my entire life.

I have a ton of respect for this kid, Boyan Slat who as taken his intellect, ingenuity, drive, and concern and has designed a feasible cost effective way called the Ocean Cleanup Array scheduled to be deployed in 2016 to clean up the plastic problem throughout the world's oceans that has been an ongoing problem beginning during the Industrial Revolution and has progressively only gotten worse.

19-Year-Old Student Develops Ocean Cleanup Array That Could Remove 7,250,000 Tons Of Plastic From the World's Oceans | Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

Nice profile page on Boyan Slat

Boyan Slat

This video begins in German with English subtitles, but quickly stays mostly in English, and is a fairly decent profile of Boyan Slat and his project "The Ocean Cleanup Array" which is scheduled to be actively deployed in 2016.

That's 14,500,000,000 lbs of plastic if my math is correct....Holy cow!

Seems like I read once that there is one patch in the Pacific Ocean is estimated to be anywhere from the size of Texas to twice the size of the US! Crazy stuff.

When I was 20 I was a slug. Impressive young man.