British Open 2015

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or 25 more knee surgeries.

Not sure about that. I know he made some changes to his swing to put less pressure on his knee. However, I believe his first knee issues were caused by a running injury, not from golf. At least I think I have read that. I think even if he just kept his "Hank Haney" swing, which was easier on the knee supposedly, he would have already caught Jack. In retrospect, if he would have stayed with his initial swings, maybe he would not be able to play into his late 40's or 50's. However, the way he is playing now, what does it matter? He might have had a shorter career but at least he would not be embarrassing himself like now.

I hope I am wrong and he becomes relevant again. Right now, I sometimes wonder if the other players actually feel kind of sorry for him. It is kind of pitiful to watch him miss cuts or finish 37th and say how "well" he thought he played...

Not sure about that. I know he made some changes to his swing to put less pressure on his knee. However, I believe his first knee issues were caused by a running injury, not from golf. At least I think I have read that. I think even if he just kept his "Hank Haney" swing, which was easier on the knee supposedly, he would have already caught Jack. In retrospect, if he would have stayed with his initial swings, maybe he would not be able to play into his late 40's or 50's. However, the way he is playing now, what does it matter? He might have had a shorter career but at least he would not be embarrassing himself like now.

I hope I am wrong and he becomes relevant again. Right now, I sometimes wonder if the other players actually feel kind of sorry for him. It is kind of pitiful to watch him miss cuts or finish 37th and say how "well" he thought he played...

I think the Haney swing was probably the hardest on him. I think if he would just suck it up and call Butch we'd we see some semblance of the old Woods.

I think you are correct regarding the swing changes to protect injury; but I'm not so sure he didn't create some of his physical problems by getting "too big"? While he certainly improved his physique by working out so much; he may have gotten too strong for his lower body "support system"--His back, hips & knees? He always had a swing which put a lot of torque on his back & lower body, and may have magnified that by getting so much bulkier--No professional, but his decline seemed to coincide with the extreme body changes (and the personal issues)?

I think you are correct regarding the swing changes to protect injury; but I'm not so sure he didn't create some of his physical problems by getting "too big"? While he certainly improved his physique by working out so much; he may have gotten too strong for his lower body "support system"--His back, hips & knees? He always had a swing which put a lot of torque on his back & lower body, and may have magnified that by getting so much bulkier--No professional, but his decline seemed to coincide with the extreme body changes (and the personal issues)?

The easy answer to that is no, he didn't get too big for his support system. He was in shape and stronger, never a bad combination for an athlete. He did that while not adding a ton of weight. I would guess at his peak he was never over 200lbs, probably more in the 190-195 range.