Man Filming Austin Police Has Phone Taken And Is Pepper Sprayed

You think you have a Right to interfere with the Police responding to an incident? That's all we've talked about. Everyone realizes that you can video the police but it is a public safety issue if people are getting too close to an encounter between a police officer and someone on the street. Stay back and record away at a safe distance.

yes I have. Man caught breaking into cars was caught in my yard. I seen cops running around the house late at night. I went out to find out what was going on. Did I interfere?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes I have. Man caught breaking into cars was caught in my yard. I seen cops running around the house late at night. I went out to find out what was going on. Did I interfere?

I don't know, did you? Going out into your yard isn't interfering, running over to the neighbors yard may be looked at unfavorably.

Running up on an officer out on his own with another person could be looked at as interfering because now he has to wonder what you are up to also. But if you keep a respectable distance there shouldn't be any issue.

But you don't have a Right to video, you have the Freedom to do so...those are much different IMO

While "epidemic" is a bit much I think it's fair to say that there are plenty more than what is captured on video especially in some areas - maybe not in Boone County or Owensboro or Paducah but some neighborhoods have too many bad officers.

It's unfair to those that are doing their job fairly and correctly with respect to all but if you're one of the members of a community that sees it too often then you logically say it's "not just a few bad apples."

It's like drunk driving. We know how many have been arrested but we also know that's just the tip of the iceberg of actual drunk drivers.

Separate subject but people in this country don't want to know the truth about drunk driving and the police don't have the time, resources or energy to enforce it.

I don't know, did you? Going out into your yard isn't interfering, running over to the neighbors yard may be looked at unfavorably.

Running up on an officer out on his own with another person could be looked at as interfering because now he has to wonder what you are up to also. But if you keep a respectable distance there shouldn't be any issue.

But you don't have a Right to video, you have the Freedom to do so...those are much different IMO

why would I not have the right to video someone in a public place? Heck my son played football. People I don't know took his pic many times. They put it in the paper. He didn't or I say they could. I saw him playing basketball on YouTube. I didn't take that video his school didn't take it. Someone at an open gym posted a video of him playing pick up games.

why would I not have the right to video someone in a public place? Heck my son played football. People I don't know took his pic many times. They put it in the paper. He didn't or I say they could. I saw him playing basketball on YouTube. I didn't take that video his school didn't take it. Someone at an open gym posted a video of him playing pick up games.

You have the Freedom to Video, which means you are free to video anything in a public setting.

You do not have the Right to Video, would seem to infer that others (police, fire, local school) should go out of their way to allow you to video.

Example: You are free to video at a high school football game, but you don't have the right to stand on the field or in the endzone to do it. The school doesn't have to make any allowance for you to video.

Example: Police officer is arresting a man, you have the freedom to video it. You don't have a Right to do what ever you want to video tape it.

Example: There is a large industrial fire, you are free to video anything you see...but the fire dept doesn't have to allow you inside the perimeter in an unsafe area just because you think you have a right to do so. If they back you up to a safe zone and you can't see the fire anymore tough, you don't have a Right to video it to begin with. Only the Freedom to do so if available to do so.

You have the Freedom to Video, which means you are free to video anything in a public setting.

You do not have the Right to Video, would seem to infer that others (police, fire, local school) should go out of their way to allow you to video.

Example: You are free to video at a high school football game, but you don't have the right to stand on the field or in the endzone to do it. The school doesn't have to make any allowance for you to video.

Example: Police officer is arresting a man, you have the freedom to video it. You don't have a Right to do what ever you want to video tape it.

Example: There is a large industrial fire, you are free to video anything you see...but the fire dept doesn't have to allow you inside the perimeter in an unsafe area just because you think you have a right to do so. If they back you up to a safe zone and you can't see the fire anymore tough, you don't have a Right to video it to begin with. Only the Freedom to do so if available to do so.

problem. What if the police Encounter is with me. I have a right to video that. I understand getting back a distance to not be in the way but if a law sets a distance. This could be used to stop people from videoing their own police encounter. If there is nothing to hide why do police worry so much about being filmed?

problem. What if the police Encounter is with me. I have a right to video that. I understand getting back a distance to not be in the way but if a law sets a distance. This could be used to stop people from videoing their own police encounter. If there is nothing to hide why do police worry so much about being filmed?

I haven't met many or any I can think of that do.