Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Man Filming Austin Police Has Phone Taken And Is Pepper Sprayed

Featured Replies

Yes.

 

Then I have no idea what you are talking about because "moving" a combative perpetrator is almost never an option.

  • Replies 157
  • Views 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is not a privacy issue, it is a safety issue.

The Supreme Court doesnt agree with you.

The Supreme Court doesnt agree with you.

 

Cite the case and post the relevant parts here on BGP.

Then I have no idea what you are talking about because "moving" a combative perpetrator is almost never an option.

 

My response was in regards to police moving a crowd back. You said at least twenty feet. Why not 100 ? Why not 300? Just get the out of the way so they are no longer a potential issue?

My response was in regards to police moving a crowd back. You said at least twenty feet. Why not 100 ? Why not 300? Just get the out of the way so they are no longer a potential issue?

 

I settled on 50 being fair but I am sure most officers would rather have 100 feet.

 

Something is getting lost in the communication between us. The whole reason we have the incidents is because they happen when the police have grossly inferior force. If the police had superior force they wouldn't need to move anything, they would arrest all the people failing to obey their lawful orders.

I do agree that is by far the bigger issue but like I stated above there is no excuse for police officers not knowing the law on this issue.

 

It's pretty cut and dry. I've seen lots of people filming when officers are on scene places. I typically think it's funny because people want their video to be the next popular video but whatever. To each their own I suppose. But if given the opportunity it's a good idea to smile for the camera.

You realize police contact people millions and millions of times a year right? For every one contact that looks bad on video (some of those aren't necessarily bad...just look bad out of context) there are probably 100 that never make YouTube because nothing happened.

 

Unfortunately there are a lot of stupid people that think because they see a few videos of police doing something they think is bad, that all police are bad or that there's an epidemic of police brutality in this country.

 

There are around 7 or 800k police in this country. Considering that they come into contact with the public millions and millions of times, even one bad occurrence per day would still be very rare.

 

Not to mention many of these everyday videos you speak of are recycled, and some of them are debatable as to whether the police actually did anything wrong.

 

You can keep saying this until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that this is a problem and one that needs to continue to be addressed. Just because you don't see it as an issue doesn't mean it isn't one. If I'm a stupid person because I see this as a problem in our country, then so be it.

I settled on 50 being fair but I am sure most officers would rather have 100 feet.

 

Something is getting lost in the communication between us. The whole reason we have the incidents is because they happen when the police have grossly inferior force. If the police had superior force they wouldn't need to move anything, they would arrest all the people failing to obey their lawful orders.

 

I have years of posts on here stating that the first job of the police is to take control of a situation with as much force as possible so I think we are in agreement here. I'd force bystanders to move back as far as was possible.

 

You can keep saying this until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that this is a problem and one that needs to continue to be addressed. Just because you don't see it as an issue doesn't mean it isn't one. If I'm a stupid person because I see this as a problem in our country, then so be it.

 

What's the specific problem? Any numbers or facts to support it being an "epidemic"?

I have years of posts on here stating that the first job of the police is to take control of a situation with as much force as possible so I think we are in agreement here. I'd force bystanders to move back as far as was possible.

 

Isn't that the issue in this case, the police were greatly outnumbered and the "mob" was not following the legal warnings to disperse? My point being, short of a whole lot of force that no one wants to see, the police are stuck hanging on for dear life in these situations.

What's the specific problem? Any numbers or facts to support it being an "epidemic"?

 

The problem is individuals who we are supposed to trust to protect and serve us doing exactly the opposite of that. It doesn't have to be a specific number or percentage to be a problem, although that's what you think. One bad cop is too many, and while I totally agree that some will slip through the cracks, the issues we've seen over the last several months is more than just that.

What's the specific problem? Any numbers or facts to support it being an "epidemic"?

 

While "epidemic" is a bit much I think it's fair to say that there are plenty more than what is captured on video especially in some areas - maybe not in Boone County or Owensboro or Paducah but some neighborhoods have too many bad officers.

 

It's unfair to those that are doing their job fairly and correctly with respect to all but if you're one of the members of a community that sees it too often then you logically say it's "not just a few bad apples."

 

It's like drunk driving. We know how many have been arrested but we also know that's just the tip of the iceberg of actual drunk drivers.

 

The problem is individuals who we are supposed to trust to protect and serve us doing exactly the opposite of that. It doesn't have to be a specific number or percentage to be a problem, although that's what you think. One bad cop is too many, and while I totally agree that some will slip through the cracks, the issues we've seen over the last several months is more than just that.

 

 

In a country of 300 million with 700,000 police officers, I'd expect some cases of police misconduct. No department is perfect. Some are worse than others. With that said, the sky isn't falling like some would have you believe.

 

One murdererer is too many. One thief is too many. Unfortunately people will always kill and steal, and there will always be bad police. Overall, I think the overwhelming majority are good people doing a great job.

 

While "epidemic" is a bit much I think it's fair to say that there are plenty more than what is captured on video especially in some areas - maybe not in Boone County or Owensboro or Paducah but some neighborhoods have too many bad officers.

 

It's unfair to those that are doing their job fairly and correctly with respect to all but if you're one of the members of a community that sees it too often then you logically say it's "not just a few bad apples."

 

It's like drunk driving. We know how many have been arrested but we also know that's just the tip of the iceberg of actual drunk drivers.

 

I agree some have too many.

 

Problem is, these days any time the police hit someone, even if it's justified, you could have 5 or 10 people screaming "you can't do that!"

 

My point being that just because people see something and think it's police brutality,that doesn't mean it is.

In a country of 300 million with 700,000 police officers, I'd expect some cases of police misconduct. No department is perfect. Some are worse than others. With that said, the sky isn't falling like some would have you believe.

 

One murdererer is too many. One thief is too many. Unfortunately people will always kill and steal, and there will always be bad police. Overall, I think the overwhelming majority are good people doing a great job.

 

Nobody here has asked the police to be perfect...

 

I don't think I've ever said the majority of cops are bad because I don't believe that. I agree that most officers do the job the right way. I still think there is more of an issue than you do. We just disagree on that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.