Chris Curley to sign with Campbellsville University

If Curley is supposed to be one of the best players in the state and is only going to Campellsville, does that mean talent in the state is way down, or does that mean there might be some better players around the state?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Curley is supposed to be one of the best players in the state and is only going to Campellsville, does that mean talent in the state is way down, or does that mean there might be some better players around the state?
It means you are wrong on all accounts. Some of you guys just cant get over the D1 stigma that you think applies to baseball. Its not football or basketball. All D1 baseball programs only have 11.7 scholarships to spread about the the whole roster of 40+ players. That means there is not much cash to spread around. That also means that technically there is no such thing as full rides in baseball. There may be some recruiting years that a team may not have any scholarships to offer if they are not senior heavy. That kind of spreads out the baseball talent among the divisions. If you think that the upper teams of NAIA are diluted of talent, you are bad wrong.

I dont think that you understand how good teams like Campbellsville and Cumberlands are. Cumberlands had UK beat last year up 9-4 going into the bottom of the 9th before UK came back with 7 runs in the bottom of the inning.And before you start the non-conference middle of the week statements about the pitchers that UK threw. It was Dombrowski.

2 years ago, Cumberlands may have had the best college team in the state, regardless of division. As a matter of fact, this year Union College may have the 2nd best team in the state behind UK. They are tough.

You have to keep in mind good fit for academics and comfort for the student/athlete. Sometimes the school record or even the school's division is farther down on the family's list of criteria.

Congrats Chris!!! I wish you all the best!!!!!!

At the beginning of the year, Campbellsville was ranked in the top 25 NAIA in the country. Any team that is ranked in the top 25 NAIA is as good if not better than middle of the road DI. Campbellsville has a very nice team this year. They have an assistant coach from Canada and he gets some of the top Canadian baseball players to attend Campbellsville. Curley will be a very good fit for this program. I see Curley possibly being more of a position player than pitcher. Many of these schools focus pitchers on the mound and not plate appearences. I think they will want Chris's bat in the lineup. He might be more of a reliever that would allow him to play the field and hit. Good Luck Chris.

In baseball, it's not all about DI unless your are talking about a top 25 DI program.

At the beginning of the year, Campbellsville was ranked in the top 25 NAIA in the country. Any team that is ranked in the top 25 NAIA is as good if not better than middle of the road DI. Campbellsville has a very nice team this year. They have an assistant coach from Canada and he gets some of the top Canadian baseball players to attend Campbellsville. Curley will be a very good fit for this program. I see Curley possibly being more of a position player than pitcher. Many of these schools focus pitchers on the mound and not plate appearences. I think they will want Chris's bat in the lineup. He might be more of a reliever that would allow him to play the field and hit. Good Luck Chris.

In baseball, it's not all about DI unless your are talking about a top 25 DI program.

You are correct.

Right now Campbellsville is ranked #24 and Cumberlands is ranked #26. Cumberlands defeated Campbellsville yesterday, and they will both be squaring off again today in the conference tournament finals.

Also Union has been ranked as high as #7 this year and are currently ranked #19.

Some good baseball in Kentucky.

I think it means that there is some pretty good baseball being played at the NAIA level. I really thought he may join former teammate Brandon Slusher at Georgetown.

Great point!!:thumb:

I think it means that there is some pretty good baseball being played at the NAIA level. I really thought he may join former teammate Brandon Slusher at Georgetown.

Spalding University-

2002, 2003, and 2005 NAIA College World Series Participant (finished 5th at the W.S. last year)

Saint Catharine College- NJCAA

2004 and 2005 NJCAA D-II Super Regional (one strike away from NJCAA

World Series in '05) currently 36-12 going into the post season.

There are some good college baseball programs in Ky. at all levels.

Spalding University-

2002, 2003, and 2005 NAIA College World Series Participant (finished 5th at the W.S. last year)

Saint Catharine College- NJCAA

2004 and 2005 NJCAA D-II Super Regional (one strike away from NJCAA

World Series in '05) currently 36-12 going into the post season.

There are some good college baseball programs in Ky. at all levels.

You got that right!

Those that have watched a lot of college baseball can tell you that there is not a lot of difference talent wise between a good Division III program and a lower Division I program. The only negatives of a number of NAIA schools is that they tend to have huge rosters for most of their sports programs which leads to a lot of kids not playing and leaving the program. You will also find that most NAIA schools lack a bit academically when compared to NCAA institutions.

Those that have watched a lot of college baseball can tell you that there is not a lot of difference talent wise between a good Division III program and a lower Division I program. The only negatives of a number of NAIA schools is that they tend to have huge rosters for most of their sports programs which leads to a lot of kids not playing and leaving the program. You will also find that most NAIA schools lack a bit academically when compared to NCAA institutions.

I'm not sure which NAIA schools you are referring to as far as lacking a bit academically. As a matter of fact, many say that the NAIA schools are much more challenging.

I'm not sure which NAIA schools you are referring to as far as lacking a bit academically. As a matter of fact, many say that the NAIA schools are much more challenging.

I would have to agree, NAIA schools are harder in the classroom than NCAA schools.

:thumb: I thought people were suggesting this kid was a SEC type player or a possible draft choice. No disrespect to Curley or Campbellsville but this is hardly the big time that some out of Beechwood have suggested.

Regardless congratulations to Chris Curley he is a fine player.