Chris Curley to sign with Campbellsville University

:thumb: I thought people were suggesting this kid was a SEC type player or a possible draft choice. No disrespect to Curley or Campbellsville but this is hardly the big time that some out of Beechwood have suggested.

Regardless congratulations to Chris Curley he is a fine player.

Simply amazing!! I'm not real sure that people actually realize the differance between baseball, football, and basketball. In baseball, the college you go to has nothing to do with how good a kid is. Yes, you have to be pretty good to play at a D-1 School, but if you decide against that, it doesn't mean your not good enough. To play on any level in college, is an accomplisment. When your good enough it doesn't matter where, they will find you. Just for fun, lets throw out a few names.

Dave Justice=Thomas More

Rick White=Paducah CC Ky.

Ryan Freel=Tallahassee CC

Jason Larue=Dallas Babtist CC

Could go on and on. Point is, there maybe other factors as to why Chris has chose the route he has taken, but by know means does that mean he wasn't sought after by D-1 Schools. Bottom line is, Chris is one of the better talents to come out of the 9th in a while and in my opinion will be drafted. So if anyone thinks that some out of Beechwood have spoken to highly of him, then you haven't got to see him play very much.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Curley is supposed to be one of the best players in the state and is only going to Campellsville, does that mean talent in the state is way down, or does that mean there might be some better players around the state?

I think you completely over analyzed everything imho. College baseball is college baseball sometimes the DI schools are not a good fit for some kids especially coming from a small - medium sized school in northern kentucky. I mean really think about it. You go from a school of 500 kids to a school of 30,000 or so. Somethimes its that kind of pressure and stigma of DI I have to be able to do this this and this that ruins players. Im sure Curley picked a school that he thinks will be a good fit for him, accademically, socially, and athletically. Everyone who has seen him pitch hit and play the game knows that he is extremely athletic and can probably play almost anywhere he wants. He's that blend of hardwork, determination, love of the game, and athleticism that any sane college coach would look for in a prospect. ESPECIALLY one of Curley's talent.

Congratulations to Chris Curley, and if he happens to read this, don't listen to some of the critics, your one heck of a player who is doing whats right for you! CONGRATS!

:dancingpa :dancingpa :ylsuper: :dancingpa :dancingpa

:thumb: I thought people were suggesting this kid was a SEC type player or a possible draft choice. No disrespect to Curley or Campbellsville but this is hardly the big time that some out of Beechwood have suggested.

Regardless congratulations to Chris Curley he is a fine player.

Just what exactly are you referring to as being the big time anyways?

I am sure that you have heard of a guy by the name of Tim Belcher. In 1983 he was the #1 over all draft pick in the MLB draft coming out of Mount Vernon- Nazarene. Sounds like he was big time doesn't it.

Chris is good enough to be successful at most any level, pitching or at the plate. He may have chosen Campbellsville for the money for a college education, or for any number of reasons (close to home, instate, top 25, etc). If you are good enough, the scouts will find you.

Could go on and on. Point is, there maybe other factors as to why Chris has chose the route he has taken, but by know means does that mean he wasn't sought after by D-1 Schools. Bottom line is, Chris is one of the better talents to come out of the 9th in a while and in my opinion will be drafted. So if anyone thinks that some out of Beechwood have spoken to highly of him, then you haven't got to see him play very much.

You're right, Chris is one of the most talented players to come out of the 9th in a while. But, I am interested to know who all he has gotten offers from.

Anyone?

I havent seen Beechwood play this year, but from what I hear this kid can play so what makes the difference where. The last time I checked the pitching rubber is the same distance from the plate and the bases are the same distance apart in any Division of College baseball. If you can play and want to go beyond college baseball the scouts will find you. And to say Division 1 might be academically better than NAIA is absolutely insane.

I havent seen Beechwood play this year, but from what I hear this kid can play so what makes the difference where. The last time I checked the pitching rubber is the same distance from the plate and the bases are the same distance apart in any Division of College baseball. .

Aren't all football fields 100 yards long?

Aren't all baskets 10 feet high?

As long as he plays with as much heart as he does as a high schooler he will do fine at Cville and possibly get drafted in a decent round. Just stay off the juice....for the love of god....stay off the juice.

I've had an impression (right or wrong) that perhaps kids may get pigeon-holed into a more specific or limited role/position/skill set with some % of D1's whereas they may get a more versatile, wider range of opportunity at some of the presumed lower levels ?????

Just curious, anyone have an opinion on that?

My observation may just be from a few anecdotal instances...

Woody Jr

The very reliable reports I have heard all tell me Chris will be drafted this year, but probably not as high as he may be in future years. A couple of things to consider here. Signing with an NCAA I or II school precludes his re-entering the draft until after his jumior year. I may be mistaken but I do not believe the same agreement exists with NAIA. Also, Chris and his family are solid Christians and made much of their decision on his college choice with that fact in mind. Also, a full ride (or very close as I have been told) is a VERY important aspect when one considers the situation his sister is in physically. This is a very close family and Chris is a very responsible and thoughtful young man. Those of you that want to question his abilities based on his college choice really don't know much about the process or the young man's character let alone his prowess on the field. Campbellsville got a good one and Chris made a very good decision.

I believe that once a player attends a class at a four-year school (NCAA or NAIA) he is ineligible to be drafted for three years. If Curley goes to Campbellsville and stays there, I don't think he could be selected again until 2009.

Rick White=Paducah CC Ky.
White was drafted out of PCC, but he originally attended Wright State. Junior college players, unlike those at four-year schools, can be drafted every year or even sign with a team as late as the following spring. I suspect that is why White transferred to PCC, and it is the reason the top juco programs are loaded with pro prospects.

I've had an impression (right or wrong) that perhaps kids may get pigeon-holed into a more specific or limited role/position/skill set with some % of D1's whereas they may get a more versatile, wider range of opportunity at some of the presumed lower levels ?????

Just curious, anyone have an opinion on that?

My observation may just be from a few anecdotal instances...

Woody Jr

I think your view has some merit. Curley might get a shot to be a two-way player at Campbellsville, maybe something he wouldn't get the opportunity to do at the Division I level.

Has Curley had any Division I interest?

The very reliable reports I have heard all tell me Chris will be drafted this year, but probably not as high as he may be in future years. A couple of things to consider here. Signing with an NCAA I or II school precludes his re-entering the draft until after his jumior year. I may be mistaken but I do not believe the same agreement exists with NAIA. Also, Chris and his family are solid Christians and made much of their decision on his college choice with that fact in mind. Also, a full ride (or very close as I have been told) is a VERY important aspect when one considers the situation his sister is in physically. This is a very close family and Chris is a very responsible and thoughtful young man. Those of you that want to question his abilities based on his college choice really don't know much about the process or the young man's character let alone his prowess on the field. Campbellsville got a good one and Chris made a very good decision.

Originally I had thought Chris could have made a better decision, but after thinking about it and reading this post, it sounds like this is the best choice he could have made. Either way, I wish Mr. Curley the best of luck and although I haven't seen him play this season, I remember how dominant he was the past three years as an opponent. Campbellsville sure is getting a good one.