Top NKY players?

Vandergriff (NDA) also has an MCL injury. Will be out til Regionals in June. I'm sure she should be 100% by time hs gets rolling. Some girls are unable to play a second sport as JOAT stated due to club obligations. I believe injuries happen and are just a freak occurrence. Most injuries are below the waist where soccer players are the strongest. Just happens and is unfortunate.

You just stated the reason why injuries happen, because of club coaches. Money in college soccer is very minimal at best, no free rides unless you are super super good. Yes injuries are below the waist mainly, but that is what these girls need the most and one surgery if not more can start to take some of that away pretty quickly. No reason why high school girls should be having their second or third knee surgeries already IMO. There is no way you can tell me that they are as good after one than they were before. See the same garbage going on with boys playing basketball and/or football only. Wake up parents and realize that you are doing a disservice to your kids by allowing this stuff to continue happening.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say injuries happen because of club coaches. I said they are a freak occurrence and unfortunate. No matter how hard u train and how physically fit you are sometimes it just happens. I agree that usually the player doesn't come back from a knee injury and is better. I think that depends on the severity of the injury and the physical therapy when making a comeback. Adrian Peterson came back just as good if not better but he's a freak of nature lol.

Are you stating it's the club coaches or really the club system as a whole? I believe you mean the later as the club coaches, at least the good high caliber ones in soccer, both actively support involvement outside of soccer (although with caveats) and are very much looking out for the physical and mental health of their players. I also believe the reason for the noticeable increase in sports related injuries to girls is heavily influenced by the statistical increase in the numbers of participants. I've read some studies coming down from US Soccer federation that talk about this very issue and unlike what you may think do support the participation in other sports but also bring up the necessary time for youths to rest their bodies. The ones I worry about the most are those that are truly playing or training 11 months a year. I see high caliber players starting HS in mid July going through end of Oct then right into club until end of year (and i mean end of Dec/first week of Jan showcases) with the month of January (3 maybe 4 weeks) off then back at it Feb until end of May or June depending on how far their team goes in state, regionals and nationals.

No words of wisdom or strong views but more observations to consider from one who's both been and have had children (girls and boys) go through it although in two entirely different ways but that's a whole different discussion.

The cause of this is too much soccer IMO. Kids need to play at least one other sport so that they are not using the same muscles over and over and over again.

I don't buy this at all. The best players at any girl's sport - soccer, basketball, softball, volleyball - are all playing it year 'round, using the same body parts over and over. Everyone would be injured all the time in every sport if it was due to repetition.

I don't buy this at all. The best players at any girl's sport - soccer, basketball, softball, volleyball - are all playing it year 'round, using the same body parts over and over. Everyone would be injured all the time in every sport if it was due to repetition.

Believe what you will. Go talk to a good orthopaedic surgeon and ask them about it. Soccer is probably the worst sport for this and basketball is not much further behind. It is the stopping and starting and constant change of direction that leads to the problems. Everyone believes that club this and club that leads to stardom and I will tell you that in soccer it means nothing, absolutely nothing. Overuse is the most common form of injury that there is.

This thread isn't necessarily for this subject but we had a personal experience I wanted to share so maybe others would learn from it. Unfortunately it is true that some injuries just happen even with the proper training and protection. However, JOAT is correct in what you will hear from orthopedic surgeons when it comes to injuries caused by overuse syndrome, especially orthopedics that practice in the area of sports medicine. During my daughter's freshman to sophomore years she played soccer non-stop and at times for more than one team between club and ODP. Her shins were hurting off and on for a while but at the Regional ODP camp one of her shins was hurting so bad not even significant amounts of ibuprofen would ease the pain. We took her to an orthopedic who is also the team physician for Xavier women's athletics and after an MRI he found a stress fracture in her tibia. The orthopedic said the cause was very simple, overuse. I asked the same question about her only playing one sport. He said it wasn't the fact that she played only one sport but rather the fact that she was not giving her body enough time to rest and recover from the physical stress she was putting on it. He said stress fractures like hers happen when an overuse causes the muscles to fatigue and pull harder on the bone that is not getting enough time to replace itself and that's when the fracture occurs. He said it is also very common in long distance runners. Overuse issues can also cause micro tears in tendons leading to sprains (larger incomplete tears) and at times full complete tears. Again, the key is not to have your child play multiple sports back to back to back instead of one sport year around but rather ensure they are getting the proper rest and recovery time. The orthopedic also stressed the importance of (especially for female athletes) getting the proper calcium intake for bone replacement as well as the proper amount of strength training in the gym. He said the strength training helps protect against muscle fatigue while at the same time strengthens the tendon and bone connections. My daughter recovered very well and now takes calcium supplements everyday and has become a gym rat which also improved her play on the field. Her college coach puts a ton of emphasis on proper rest as well as strength training to prevent overuse injuries. The moral to the story is ensure your kids are getting the rest they need to recover, get proper nutrition and when they are old enough understand the importance of resistance/strength training. I hope this helps.

I don think over use is the issue, I think habits and genetics matter. Did we ever make a list of the top kids? I question a few of the kids that were listed based on what I have seen in club this spring.

Well now the million dollar question is... What girls are you questioning and why?

The cause of this is too much soccer IMO. Kids need to play at least one other sport so that they are not using the same muscles over and over and over again. This is becoming all too common a scene for girls soccer. My daughter went from being a very good high school and club player to being a shadow of herself by the time she was done playing due to injuries. Started with a hip/lower back injury, to an avulsion fracture of the pelvis, to a severely sprained ankle and finally to an avulsion fracture of the knee and torn MCL.

Totally agree!!!! Like any machine, the body needs recovery and repair. It cannot do that if it's constantly grinding and working without rest!!! Not just a week of rest, but WEEKS!

i had heard a few weeks back that NDA also is loosing the Greenwell girl again due to another MCL injury this spring club season. If true, I hope it doesn't affect her offer from UC given it's her second one. Also, means NDA will now have their 2 top returning players out for season.

I heard a couple days ago it was her ACL again. I believe it was at one of the showcases (crossroads or blue chip).

I don think over use is the issue, I think habits and genetics matter. Did we ever make a list of the top kids? I question a few of the kids that were listed based on what I have seen in club this spring.

I would still like to hear why you question a few of these kids that were listed.