Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

6 Baltimore Officers Suspended Over Death of Prisoner

Featured Replies

It was said by someone on CNN that the prosecutor way over charged everyone, hoping to get one or two of them to crack and take a lesser deal to testify against the others.

 

Typical prosecutor tactics.

  • Replies 317
  • Views 25.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I told you how I thought he died.

 

Tell me what you think happened?

 

Why does it matter how I think he died? The most important piece of information is that he died in the custody of the police.

  • Author
I know exactly what depraved heart murder is. Often called depraved indifference.

 

Code Section Maryland Criminal Law Code, Section 2-204: Murder in the Second Degree

What is Prohibited? Intentionally causing the death of another human being.

Penalties Murder in the second degree in Maryland is a felony with a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison.

 

Maryland abolished the death penalty in 2013. However, even before then, capital punishment was only possible for first-degree murder.

 

Copied from the link I provided. As you see, it states intentionally causing the death of another human being.

 

It says what it says.

 

Let me preface this by pointing out that the study of law is not my forte.

 

With that, from what I have read there are different types/categories/degree of 2nd degree murder and "depraved-heart" does not require that the person had the intent to kill. Key is "reckless and wanton unconcern" as to whether someone is hurt/killed.

Why does it matter how I think he died? The most important piece of information is that he died in the custody of the police.

 

Alright, you asked me how I thought he died and I told you, I was only curious to what you thought. But listen if you want to be that way and be a big bad smart Alec and say why does it matter what you think to me, then that just shows the kind Of character you have. And I would have thought more from you even though we hardly ever agree.

 

That's not a question that can be answered without specific instances.

 

Ferguson, New York, etc...

I know exactly what depraved heart murder is. Often called depraved indifference.

 

Code Section Maryland Criminal Law Code, Section 2-204: Murder in the Second Degree

What is Prohibited? Intentionally causing the death of another human being.

Penalties Murder in the second degree in Maryland is a felony with a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison.

 

Maryland abolished the death penalty in 2013. However, even before then, capital punishment was only possible for first-degree murder.

 

Copied from the link I provided. As you see, it states intentionally causing the death of another human being.

 

It says what it says.

 

Read the code that you quoted yourself. Better yet, paste the link.

 

I see Maryland §2-204 saying that second degree murder is all murder that isn't first degree murder. That's it.

 

I've read a lot of Code, and have never seen any that says "What is prohibited?". I don't think you know what depraved heart murder is by the way you are talking about it because by it's own definition there isn't a specific intent to kill (that would make it first degree murder).

Let me preface this by pointing out that the study of law is not my forte.

 

With that, from what I have read there are different types/categories/degree of 2nd degree murder and "depraved-heart" does not require that the person had the intent to kill. Key is "reckless and wanton unconcern" as to whether someone is hurt/killed.

 

 

This.

Alright, you asked me how I thought he died and I told you, I was only curious to what you thought. But listen if you want to be that way and be a big bad smart Alec and say why does it matter what you think to me, then that just shows the kind Of character you have. And I would have thought more from you even though we hardly ever agree.

 

I mean I could guess and speculate all day on how he may have died. That won't get us anywhere.

 

I think that it was probably a combination of negligence and excessive force by the officers that lead to his death.

§2–204.

(a) A murder that is not in the first degree under § 2-201 of this subtitle is in the second degree.

(b) A person who commits a murder in the second degree is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 30 years.

 

GAM-Article - Criminal Law, Section 2-204

 

 

I don't see the word 'intent' anywhere in there.

Ferguson, New York, etc...

 

With Ferguson, I was admittedly drawn in (initially) by the whole hands up thing. Learned my lesson on that one. Once more facts were presented, the only issue I had with the whole thing was how many times Mike Brown was shot. I think the officer was justified in his actions, but still think the number of shots may have been excessive.

 

If you are talking about the stairwell incident in NY, I didn't follow that one too closely, so I can't make an "educated" statement on whether or not they should have been charged. Although without much thought, I would say they should have been.

 

Overall, I'd like to think that I trust prosecutors everywhere to take the evidence that is available to them and make the "right" decisions in these cases. I'd be lying if I said I 100% trust all of them, but with some of the things going on today, it's hard for me to. Any time a case like this brings charges against offenders, I am going to be supportive of it, because we need to get a grasp on this issue (I know you don't think it's as big of an issue as I do). When charges aren't brought about, I may not agree with it, but again, I'm going to have to trust the people in those positions to make the right decisions. That will be easier said than done sometimes.

 

With Ferguson, I was admittedly drawn in (initially) by the whole hands up thing. Learned my lesson on that one. Once more facts were presented, the only issue I had with the whole thing was how many times Mike Brown was shot. I think the officer was justified in his actions, but still think the number of shots may have been excessive.

 

If you are talking about the stairwell incident in NY, I didn't follow that one too closely, so I can't make an "educated" statement on whether or not they should have been charged. Although without much thought, I would say they should have been.

 

Overall, I'd like to think that I trust prosecutors everywhere to take the evidence that is available to them and make the "right" decisions in these cases. I'd be lying if I said I 100% trust all of them, but with some of the things going on today, it's hard for me to. Any time a case like this brings charges against offenders, I am going to be supportive of it, because we need to get a grasp on this issue (I know you don't think it's as big of an issue as I do). When charges aren't brought about, I may not agree with it, but again, I'm going to have to trust the people in those positions to make the right decisions. That will be easier said than done sometimes.

 

The numbers (stats, facts...whatever you want to call it) show it's not as much of an issue as the media wants you to believe. It's extremely rare for an innocent unarmed person to die at the hands of police. You are much more likely to be murdered by someone who isn't a police officer, and even more likely to die due to being struck by lightning or attacked by a dog.

Let me preface this by pointing out that the study of law is not my forte.

 

With that, from what I have read there are different types/categories/degree of 2nd degree murder and "depraved-heart" does not require that the person had the intent to kill. Key is "reckless and wanton unconcern" as to whether someone is hurt/killed.

 

I understand that Clyde. As I have posted however, in Maryland to sustain a murder charge, even second degree, the code states there has to be intent.

 

Practice of law is not my forte either. I can read, however.

Read the code that you quoted yourself. Better yet, paste the link.

 

I see Maryland §2-204 saying that second degree murder is all murder that isn't first degree murder. That's it.

 

I've read a lot of Code, and have never seen any that says "What is prohibited?". I don't think you know what depraved heart murder is by the way you are talking about it because by it's own definition there isn't a specific intent to kill (that would make it first degree murder).

 

I quote from the link that provides the code. Argue with the link. It says what it says.

 

I do know what it means. I posted what it means. Depraved heart, depraved indifference, call it what you will.

 

All states are different in their requirements. You do realize there is only one charge of murder in Kentucky, right?

  • Author
I understand that Clyde. As I have posted however' date=' in Maryland to sustain a murder charge, even second degree, the code states there has to be intent. Practice of law is not my forte either. I can read, however.[/quote']

 

I haven't read that "depraved" requires intent.

I haven't read that "depraved" requires intent.

 

I haven't read depraved heart murder in the Maryland Statures either. It is not listed as a charging offense.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.