Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Calling the Highlands baseball team "Dirty Birds" is a GROSS understatement

Featured Replies

This is the biggest issue. If this student didn't feel comfortable enough to continue on the team how is he supposed to feel comfortable in school with them?

 

Not just that, but if he cannot/will not play then shouldn't the offenders be treated the same? That is the bone I have to pick with this whole thing. If the victim does not play a game he likes then the accused should not either. Seems like a pretty equitable solution to the problem.

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Views 154.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would allow them to lessen the stigma associated with the term bullying, especially in light of a recent incidents in Kentucky such as this one.

 

That is just heartbreaking.

Using the Definitions Highlands uses to differentiate Bullying and Harassment, I would think the actions which are talked about occurring here fall more closely with Bullying than Harassment. But, of course I do not know all the details, only what is being reported here. At least that is my opinion. Again, the real crime is that the young man has quit the team.

 

What we don't know is if this was one of a series of incidents repeated against the victim over a period of time. That seems to be a key component for the bullying definition vs harassment. Just one part of a real mess.

Hey Chicken Little the sky is falling let's expell all kids out of athletics who make dumb decisions.

 

I'm actually laughing at some posters on here who claimed to have played varsity sports and act like this is the most disgusting thing they've heard of in a lockeroom. Your not fooling anyone , everyone get off the high horse.

 

Yes kids will do dumb things, the problem here which apparently you don't seem to understand is their dumb thing they did effected another kid. So you are all worried apparently about these players being punished, when the kid they did it to probably will be dealing with being the kid who had pee'd sprayed on him the rest of the year. And as you mentioned they are high school kids so just imagine how some boys in the rest of the school are going to joke and make fun of him for having pee put on him. See it's not something simple oh they did something dumb and it only effected them. What they did was dumb but their dumb decision is going to have a much bigger impact on that person they did it too. So yes taking away something they enjoy by taking away their season is something that is a good consequence for their actions. That is something they will also remember and stick with them knowing how their dumb decision can have consequences that also effect them more than just missing a few meaningless games during a season.

This has been termed "harassment"

 

Punishment was 3 day suspension from school.

 

Baseball side yet to be determined, but you can bet it will not be for the season. Guessing more the 5 games that have already been mentioned.

 

The real issue here is that the victim has quit the team.

 

Know a lot more information about the situation as a whole that I do not care to disclose on here or to anyone for that matter. While I was not for expulsion from school, the punishment was too lenient whether it was a first offense or a third offense. Cannot comment on the baseball part of it because I am not privy to that information.

 

The suspension from school for 3 days is fine IMO. However them being on the team is a different story IMO, they should no longer be on the team if they want to really teach them a lesson. It wasn't just something stupid that effected them, it was something stupid that effected another person and that is the problem here.

I'm wondering how long this thread will keep kicking... Is there an over under on the # of replies and views yet?

 

Only a few things are absolutely certain:

a) We (collectively), on this message board, will never know exactly what happened. At least not any time soon.

b) It will continue to be debated on here whether the punishment was to much or not enough.

c) Highlands will survive.

d) Highlands haters have a new item to use in their justification for their hatred.

e) Simon Kenton will make sure they fill their water coolers in Independence when they come to DCM this fall.

f) I'm looking forward to the creative ways the Crazies - AMONG MANY OTHERS - come up with using this. "You're in trouble" will definitely be heard.

So are we to excuse bad behavior by pointing out other bad behavior?

 

Just curious.

 

I'm not excusing anything I just want to put it in perspective. I think some people have lost it .

I'm not excusing anything I just want to put it in perspective. I think some people have lost it .

 

How so? Because they would like whoever did this to be held responsible? While some posters may be very passionate, they all seem to want the same thing.

Again I think the Players directly involved need to suffer the Consequences and not be allowed to participate in any further Baseball games and whatever the School hands down for their punishment. Trust me, I am a Highlands fan and would be embarrassed for the Highlands program if it was anything less. It's time to set the precedence going forward on how to be a team player and how to represent your High School.

Our school has bullying too. I never understand how/why children who are privileged, or at the very least better off than most kids, feel the need to bully. The need to make yourself look "cool" or "tough" at the expense at someone else is sadly, universal.

 

No way the punishment will be kept under wraps. Everyone at school will know.

Since the Highlands administration are the only people who know exactly what happened, I do have faith they will punish appropriately. No way they are going to make everybody happy, but that is one of the downsides of the job.

Edited by Beechwoodfan

How so? Because they would like whoever did this to be held responsible? While some posters may be very passionate, they all seem to want the same thing.

 

Everyone wants them held responsible. Not a single post disagrees with that. Where there has been disagreement is what that means and waiting to judge until all info is known.

 

You would think squirting urine has a high probability of killing you by some reactions. While disgusting and inexcusable I just think some of these reactions are overboard.

Everyone wants them held responsible. Not a single post disagrees with that. Where there has been disagreement is what that means and waiting to judge until all info is known.

 

You would think squirting urine has a high probability of killing you by some reactions. While disgusting and inexcusable I just think some of these reactions are overboard.

 

You do realize a host of STD's, HIV, HepB, C, D, etc. are transmitted by body fluids, in which urine is included. Right?

 

While it may be unlikely, it is a concern.

There's a reason why healthcare workers use universal precautions when handling bodily fluids (including urine) and why even a minor contact with those fluids is cause for concern..

 

I'm still more concerned that the victim felt he had to quit the team. The offender(s) should not be allowed to be a part of the team in any capacity until he feels comfortable enough to return. That may be never but it's up to him.

You do realize a host of STD's, HIV, HepB, C, D, etc. are transmitted by body fluids, in which urine is included. Right?

 

While it may be unlikely, it is a concern.

 

If they pass that along then again I'll revisit what I think they should be punished. But I'm not going to punish someone based on something that could happen when in reality squirting on someone has nearly a 0% chance of doing the above. That's what I mean by over reaction.

 

Maybe I just have a forgiving heart with dumb decisions in their youth because my Lord did I do crazy stuff I regret. I don't think I was ever a bad person but I was just young and dumb and the approach I'm talking about is how the adults handled me and without that who knows what paths I would of took.

 

I just want to be clear I've not once said the kids shouldn't be punished. It was a dumb inexcusable decision. But before I say they need kicked off the team I need a lot more information.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.