Walt Allen named Mr. Basketball

I finally got a chance to see Walt play in the state Tournament and he had an off game but I was very impressed with his sportsmanship. He was always patting guys on the rear and never once got his dobber down when he missed some easy bunnys. I also was very impressed with the way he gathered everyone at halfcourt after the game for a prayer. He is a very mature young man and will go much further in life. Good Luck and congrats on a high school career many young men dream about.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess these kind of comments will never stop!! Get over it.... Walt may not be the best "basketball" player, but he has the hardware to prove he is the best "highschool basketball" player, emphasis on HIGHSCHOOL. Mr. Basketball is a HIGHSCHOOL award! Walt won it. End of story!

I find it funny how many ppl on these boards think they know soooo much more.... yet this kid has 2 POY awards and a Mr. Basketball award. I guess whoever votes for these awards must be complete basketball idiots.

Congrats Walt! Not a more deserving candidate! :thumb:

I agree with Wildcat Legond on this. He is not the most talented player or is he the best all around athlete. I believe other things besides playing ability helped him win this award, not that there is anything wrong with that. award.

I guess these kind of comments will never stop!! Get over it.... Walt may not be the best "basketball" player, but he has the hardware to prove he is the best "highschool basketball" player, emphasis on HIGHSCHOOL. Mr. Basketball is a HIGHSCHOOL award! Walt won it. End of story!

I find it funny how many ppl on these boards think they know soooo much more.... yet this kid has 2 POY awards and a Mr. Basketball award. I guess whoever votes for these awards must be complete basketball idiots.

Congrats Walt! Not a more deserving candidate! :thumb:

Great Kid, great person and did a great job being a model player and citizen for the state to be proud of. With that said all I mean is "Mr. Basketball" should be given to the best basketball player in the state. Great career Walt--good luck at the next level. As far as your "know soooo much comment", if you knew anything about the process you would know that coaches become the biggest politicians around as soon as they get beat out of the tourney, but thanks for your insight.

Congrats to Walt, not many better kids out there. Anyone want to bet that next year's Mr. Basketball also comes from South Laurel?

Yeah, Ill take that bet. The only Junior on the first team all state this year is the front runner for Mr. Basketball next year.......

The GREW!!

Steffphon Pettigrew

Get over it yourself ... he's entitled to his opinion.

Just because it's the minority opinion doesn't mean he's wrong.

LOL. I was wonderin when you would be commenting.

Maybe that minority opinion isnt wrong. Then again maybe it is.

I would think 2 POY awards, 1st team All State honors, State Tourney MVP, a State Championship Ring, and a Mr. Basketball award would say that the minority opinion is completely wrong. :sssh:

I mean give the kid some credit. Not only does he have all that to boast, but he is an A+ student and person, as well as a true leader on and off the court. There is no one more deserving to represent our state as Mr. Basketball then Walt.

Walt was the best HIGHSCHOOL basketball player in the state, all things considered. For anyone who STILL wants to deny that...... well that is exactly what they are in..... denial.

You are right though...... everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless of how ill supported it might be.

Great Kid, great person and did a great job being a model player and citizen for the state to be proud of. With that said all I mean is "Mr. Basketball" should be given to the best basketball player in the state. Great career Walt--good luck at the next level. As far as your "know soooo much comment", if you knew anything about the process you would know that coaches become the biggest politicians around as soon as they get beat out of the tourney, but thanks for your insight.

First off.....This award shouldnt go to the best basketball player..... it should go to the best highschool basketball player. There may be some players who will have better college careers then Walt, but none had has great a highschool career as Mr. Allen. I mean just look at what he accomplished. Mr. Allen knows how to play the game and play it with class.

He may not be 6'9 and can dunk like a mad man or shoot the lights out, but he plays the game the way it is supposed to be played, and he meant more to SL then alot of ppl realize.

Secondly....So are you saying that Walt Allen had the best politician in Wright. I mean comeon....... the other kids had their coaches pushing them too. I totally understand the politics of this whole deal, but that isnt why he won the award. Every other coach who had a Mr. Basketball candidate was doing the same thing.

By the way..... who votes for this award? Oh yeah.... that state coaches! I would think they know more then any of us on this board. If Allen is good enough for them, then he is good enough for me.

I would think 2 POY awards, 1st team All State honors, State Tourney MVP, a State Championship Ring, and a Mr. Basketball award would say that the minority opinion is completely wrong. :sssh:

Slaughter was the top vote-getter in the C-J All-State team, voted on by coaches.

I know who votes----I voted and it wasn't for Allen. Great player he was my number 2. Settle down a little "bell", your boy won and that is all that matters.

To start over--Great job Mr. Allen on an outstanding career.

I'm chilled.

Just really bothers me how some ppl act like the kid cant play at all. I mean I can understand if you dont think he is the best. But at the very least give the kid his credit.

My last few posts were not neccessarily directed just at you, as much as to a few others who have denied Allen the credit he deserves.

My point being that it was not a post-season sweep by Allen and that Slaughter got more votes from the 150 coaches that took part in the voting.

Let's face it. Allen pretty much won this award with his outstanding play in last year's Sweet 16. As many awards go, when you're labeled the favorite, you have to either get injured, fall off the face of the earth, or have someone put up monster numbers to surpass him. None of those three happened.

I'm sure there is no more deserving person to win Mr. Basketball than Mr. Allen. He wouldn't have been my choice, but I'm not on here downing his accomplishments. Just have a different point of view than some.