Ken Shields on NKU attendance woes

BOKC Wildcat

SMG has a ten year contract to run the BOKC so it still has three years left. It will be interesting to see what happens when it is over!

I feel like all of this would be like ARAMARK employees telling the Bengals Front Office how to run things down at Paul Brown Stadium or Delaware North employees telling the Reds Front Office how to run things at GABP.

If there's this much trouble between SMG and NKU at the BOKC...well I don't think NKU is going anywhere.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If NKU owns the building, why are you complaining about their teams playing there? D-I teams playing in a D-I arena. That was the master plan.

I have no idea why a company (SMG) would complain so much about their employer (NKU), who handed them an arena to manage.

Maybe someone with the means or, SMG as a business, should have or could still build a 9,000 seat arena in NKY. They could then manage it and book clients their discretion.

Until then, it seems as though SMG and it's employees should do the job they were contracted to, and stop second guessing the school that hired them so much.

NKU has charged SMG with the responsibility of making money. The NKU business people even lean toward having NKU play games in Regents Hall, see the Ringling Bros. Circus of 2008-09 situation. The NKU President, Vice Presidents, athletic director all agreed to let the BOKC bring in the circus and MOVED their games to Regents Hall to make money.

It all comes down to the bottom line, and NKU gives conflicting messages to SMG. Its "yeah, you need to bring in more money, but, no, we can't move all our games to Regents Hall. But we can move the women's game against Kennesaw State to Regents Hall and fool everyone into thinking its Retro Night - no one will figure out its because NKU administrators want money!"

That's their way of thinking, no transparency at all. Molly P. sees through them and has the full backing of the SMG Corporate types who know about the conflicts she has to fight thru with NKU.

I feel like all of this would be like ARAMARK employees telling the Bengals Front Office how to run things down at Paul Brown Stadium or Delaware North employees telling the Reds Front Office how to run things at GABP.

If there's this much trouble between SMG and NKU at the BOKC...well I don't think NKU is going anywhere.

You could be correct. In the mean time, we will let acts like AC/DC, Bruno Mars, Pearl Jam, Chicago, Culture Club, Tears for Fears, Spandau Ballet slip away. SMG could have had all these in the BOKC had NKU not had basketball games the past two years. All would have been sell outs. You do the math. Women's basketball and their 250 fans, or any of the above with 9,400 paying customers.

You could be correct. In the mean time, we will let acts like AC/DC, Bruno Mars, Pearl Jam, Chicago, Culture Club, Tears for Fears, Spandau Ballet slip away. SMG could have had all these in the BOKC had NKU not had basketball games the past two years. All would have been sell outs. You do the math. Women's basketball and their 250 fans, or any of the above with 9,400 paying customers.

Does NKU receive a percentage of the ticket sales for these types of events? Do they receive a percentage of the concession sales? I have no idea and really just wondering.

Does NKU receive a percentage of the ticket sales for these types of events? Do they receive a percentage of the concession sales? I have no idea and really just wondering.

NKU does indeed profit as a university, but I am not privy to the details of ticket money. NKU jacks its parking up to $10 dollars per car when a big act like I mentioned above comes in, so that should tell you something about how money-happy they are! Their basketball teams do not share in any of the concert profits unless the NKU business people send it their way. That is not an SMG decision. But just follow the parking money when their is a big concert/act and you will find NKU charging $10 dollars and making tons of money that way!

NKU even charges the high schools to park for graduations in the BOKC. Great PR move to the community by them!

Big Concert: 2,500 cars X $10 dollars = $25,000 dollars for NKU for doing nothing but allowing you to park! Pretty good deal, yes?