Ken Shields on NKU attendance woes

BOKC Wildcat

but they know in reality no amount of complaining was going to change it.

That's why I said, I bet they'll get over it. I feel like you're trying to make it a bigger deal that it probably is to those who are inconvenienced by it.

You say cover-up tactic. I say a creative way to try and make the best of a situation.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I said, I bet they'll get over it. I feel like you're trying to make it a bigger deal that it probably is to those who are inconvenienced by it.

You say cover-up tactic. I say a creative way to try and make the best of a situation.

The Warren Commission would have loved you back in the 1960s! lol!

:lol2: Someone really has an axe to grind with NKU. My goodness, it's just negativity on top of more negativity. :lol2:

I wouldn't say the poster has an axe to grind . I'm an NKU alum and I appreciate some of his/her tidbits on the inner workings. Most alumni realize the Athletic department isn't being run well.

BOKC has SMG tried to market in a strong way to local high school and grade schools?

I wouldn't say the poster has an axe to grind . I'm an NKU alum and I appreciate some of his/her tidbits on the inner workings. Most alumni realize the Athletic department isn't being run well.

BOKC has SMG tried to market in a strong way to local high school and grade schools?

Thanks. Not grade schools, but SMG has reached out to local high schools on many items like proms, homecomings, graduations, high school basketball, and even wrestling. If NKU played more women's games in Regents Hall, SMG could get better acts. Better yet, if NKU's basketball teams only used the BOKC when needed for certain games that are sure to bring big crowds like Louisville, Bellarmine, or West Virginia, they could play in Regents Hall and let SMG rent out the BOKC for money makers. Alas, the NKU people and SMG brass don't see eye to eye on this and never will.

SMG has a ten year contract to run the BOKC so it still has three years left. It will be interesting to see what happens when it is over!

If the alumni knew everything that is going on and has gone on in the Athletic Dept. since I have worked at the BOKC, they would scream! lol! We see it with daily interactions with them and our head honchos at SMG just tolerate them!

Some of the coaches like Coach Beez and Coach Shapp are really great guys and always speak to us, say hello and seem sincere. Chris Halfing is a good fella too and every one at SMG likes him. The rest of their dept. is less than friendly, like they are confrontational toward the BOKC people. The women's head coach had her husband come in and confront our security guard last year for doing his job and turning the lights off when the arena should have been empty. Her husband gets special treatment and shoots around with the kids whenever he feels like it, then he confronts BOKC people for doing their job! Go figure!

Thanks. Not grade schools, but SMG has reached out to local high schools on many items like proms, homecomings, graduations, high school basketball, and even wrestling. If NKU played more women's games in Regents Hall, SMG could get better acts. Better yet, if NKU's basketball teams only used the BOKC when needed for certain games that are sure to bring big crowds like Louisville, Bellarmine, or West Virginia, they could play in Regents Hall and let SMG rent out the BOKC for money makers. Alas, the NKU people and SMG brass don't see eye to eye on this and never will.

SMG has a ten year contract to run the BOKC so it still has three years left. It will be interesting to see what happens when it is over!

I meant marketing to them for attendance of basketball games. Not creating events. It seems the best way to create a need for this product in community like NKY is to create a demand with the youth and create fans at a young age .

I meant marketing to them for attendance of basketball games. Not creating events. It seems the best way to create a need for this product in community like NKY is to create a demand with the youth and create fans at a young age .

If you mean marketing NKU games the answer is no because NKU has a full staff of marketing and promotions people in their BOKC offices. SMG tries to help them when possible but SMG has to try and market its outside acts after acquiring them.

I do see what you are thinking, but the disconnect between SMG and NKU on the administrative level is worse now than I have ever seen it, the backbiting and lack of cooperation just impossible to understand. I got a laugh earlier today when one of their staff came over to the BOKC suite and started saying they are upset with BGP for talking about their attendance woes. At least you know they are reading BGP!

If the alumni knew everything that is going on and has gone on in the Athletic Dept. since I have worked at the BOKC, they would scream! lol! We see it with daily interactions with them and our head honchos at SMG just tolerate them!

Some of the coaches like Coach Beez and Coach Shapp are really great guys and always speak to us, say hello and seem sincere. Chris Halfing is a good fella too and every one at SMG likes him. The rest of their dept. is less than friendly, like they are confrontational toward the BOKC people. The women's head coach had her husband come in and confront our security guard last year for doing his job and turning the lights off when the arena should have been empty. Her husband gets special treatment and shoots around with the kids whenever he feels like it, then he confronts BOKC people for doing their job! Go figure!

The ideal situation would be to bring in Kenny Shields as the athletic director for 2 or 3 years and rebuild relationships on campus and the community, something sorely needed. Coach is a walking goodwill PR machine and could soothe the disconnect with SMG as well. His way of dealing with people would unite NKU and SMG better than now.

Scott Eaton obviously did not do a very good job of developing a relationship with SMG (he was too busy developing them with co-workers we are told:jump:). The athletic director they have now just seems to walk around like he is lost and, according to their own staffers, has brought no ideas of how to increase fundraising or attendance. That's why I say bring in Kenny Shields because the No. Ky. community adores him and his value is off the charts. JMO.

Silly question who owns the BOKC?? I'm aware smg manages it but who owns the property and building??

NKU. SMG just runs it.

If NKU owns the building, why are you complaining about their teams playing there? D-I teams playing in a D-I arena. That was the master plan.

I have no idea why a company (SMG) would complain so much about their employer (NKU), who handed them an arena to manage.

Maybe someone with the means or, SMG as a business, should have or could still build a 9,000 seat arena in NKY. They could then manage it and book clients their discretion.

Until then, it seems as though SMG and it's employees should do the job they were contracted to, and stop second guessing the school that hired them so much.

If NKU owns the building, why are you complaining about their teams playing there? D-I teams playing in a D-I arena. That was the master plan.

I have no idea why a company (SMG) would complain so much about their employer (NKU), who handed them an arena to manage.

Maybe someone with the means or, SMG as a business, should have or could still build a 9,000 seat arena in NKY. They could then manage it and book clients their discretion.

Until then, it seems as though SMG and it's employees should do the job they were contracted to, and stop second guessing the school that hired them so much.

If people didn't second guess each other it would make BGP a pretty dull place.

Why should NKU care how much money that SMG is able to make? Does NKU receive a percentage from the tickets sold? Or a percentage of the concession revenue? And that's not a loaded question, I really have no idea.

I understand that it is good to just get people on campus, but if they aren't receiving any benefit from SMG hosting bigger events in the BOKC, why should they move their games? What benefit is it to them? I definitely see your standpoint where its beneficial to SMG.

As an alumnus of the school whose attending many games at Regents and the BOKC, I'd be very disappointed if the University went with your proposal to play the majority of their games back at Regents.