Is There Anyone Interested in a Discussion about the sport of Running?

Science Friction

What's the best running shoes?

I used to run a lot, and my feet started hurting really really bad. Someone told me I probably had plantar fasciitis. I never saw a doctor but even after not running for several years, I still have foot problems. Mainly just hurts when I stand anywhere very long. Hurts sometimes in the mornings as well. The mornings were the worst when I ran a lot.

I've been running more lately. Not running very long distances yet, just proud I've fought through the worst part, which is getting back into it. I own some Brooks shoes and while they are nice, I haven't put very many miles on them and they're already tearing up.

When my feet began hurting I was using Aasics.

The best running shoe really depends on you. I can't recommend going to a running store and getting properly fitted enough. I think you are close to Lexington and the best in that area is John's Run/Walk Shop.

For those in other areas my top two favorite running stores are:

Running Soles in Elizabethtown, KY - it's a family owned/ran running store. The owner Will Rivera is a wealth of knowledge and you'll find a lot of brands there you won't find anywhere else.

Fleet Feet Sports in Louisville, KY - Fleet Feet is a franchise, but Andy Fenton runs the store and he and his staff give top notch service. Absolutely the only running store I would recommend in Louisville.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To kick start for an idea.... with the colder temps we have to turn the tradmill during this time. Many avoid it all costs, but to me it is more so because people do not know what to do when on a treadmill. Setting it at 8 mph and just running for 45 minutes is nice, but may also make you want to jump off a bridge because it is so boring. I have found the treadmill is the best time to do speed/track workouts. Your pace can stay consistent, and your mind stays engaged.

Try the "music challenge" which is what I call it. Say you are comfortable running at 7 mph. Every other song that comes on your ipod, bump it up by .1 until you get through X amount of miles or X amount of songs.

I actually like the treadmill for speed workouts. When I'm not feeling it the treadmill will ensure I get my workout in. Plus, there is typically a ton of people in there staring at you which usually motivates me.

I'll have to do the music challenge soon. Sounds fun. I do a similar challenge on the bike trainer. I'll watch a show and do high intensity intervals during the commercials. Gets a good workout in and makes me hate commercials even more.

I'm sure you could apply it to running as it would be fartlekesque...

I began running last summer out of health concerns. I was forty pounds overweight and had issues with high blood pressure and cholesterol. I have improved those issues and now find that I actually kinda enjoy the sport. I would like to find some folks on here who are runners and would like to share some insight and tips on how to improve. Running is not easy for me although I have made considerable progress since I started some six months ago.

I started out just walking a lot(because that's about all I could do) and then started mixing in just a little bit of like jogging. After a couple or three weeks, I attempted to see if I could run for ten minutes. The next week fifteen, then twenty, and thirty. Finally, I worked on running at a bit faster pace each week.

I started adding in some longer runs of five, seven, and ten miles(not worrying about speed but just finishing). I try to do a lot of hills as well. I find them pretty hard but I suspect they are helping with my strength and endurance.

I have made some major gains in my times since I first started out six months ago but now I am to the point where the gains are getting harder and harder to come by . Everything I have done has pretty much been between me and the pavement, no focused training or specific exercises. I've just gone out and run. Being new to the sport, I would like to talk with others who do this for fun as well as those who do it much more seriously.

Eventually, I would like to enter some races and see how I do in comparison to others. And, of course, I would love to hear some tips on how to be a better and faster runner.

Is there anyone out there in BGP land that would be intereted in some threads dealing with running? If so, I would love to initiate some topics or hear some things that you may have to say about the sport.

Thanks.

Awesome job man. You are on the right track - speed workouts and hills are two of the absolute best ways to increase your speed and get stronger. Just make sure you are getting long and slow runs in as well. Don't make speed your only runs of the week.

Another thing I would recommend is doing some cross-training. I typically tell people to get at least one cross-training workout in a week. As previously mentioned, swimming, biking, and rowing are the three I would lean towards.

I usually only do a couple of running races a year as my budget gets killed in triathlons. I've done several half-marathons, a half Ironman, and one full Ironman with another coming late September.

Feel free to ask any questions as I would be happy to help.

I cross train for aerobic benefits alternating between jogging, elliptical trainer and my exercycle (in the winter). I bike outside when I can when it is a bit warmer. I will jog no more than 4 days a week and no more than two days in a row usually to help my knees and feet. The other days I do the other things. When I jog on the treadmill I watch TV or movies but I do pyramids either with elevation, speed or both at 1 min. intervals as someone mentioned before. This helps me increase my intensity while reducing the boredom of repitition. I have a Sole F80 treadmill, and it has a lot of programs that I have not used YET.

One thing I have found out about my Livestrong elliptical is that when I utilize the Lance Armstrong programs (without steroids) they kick my butt....which means I need to do them more.

I do weights every day:

Chest/triceps day 1,5

Back day 2,6

Shoulders day 2,7

On day off I usually still do some curls or body weight pull ups.

I do abs and back exercises every day.

One would think I would look better and that I was in better shape. :lol2:

The best running shoe really depends on you. I can't recommend going to a running store and getting properly fitted enough. I think you are close to Lexington and the best in that area is John's Run/Walk Shop.

For those in other areas my top two favorite running stores are:

Running Soles in Elizabethtown, KY - it's a family owned/ran running store. The owner Will Rivera is a wealth of knowledge and you'll find a lot of brands there you won't find anywhere else.

Fleet Feet Sports in Louisville, KY - Fleet Feet is a franchise, but Andy Fenton runs the store and he and his staff give top notch service. Absolutely the only running store I would recommend in Louisville.

I did that several years ago. Need to again. Actually went to Johns run/walk. Thanks

I cross train for aerobic benefits alternating between jogging, elliptical trainer and my exercycle (in the winter). I bike outside when I can when it is a bit warmer. I will jog no more than 4 days a week and no more than two days in a row usually to help my knees and feet. The other days I do the other things. When I jog on the treadmill I watch TV or movies but I do pyramids either with elevation, speed or both at 1 min. intervals as someone mentioned before. This helps me increase my intensity while reducing the boredom of repitition. I have a Sole F80 treadmill, and it has a lot of programs that I have not used YET.

One thing I have found out about my Livestrong elliptical is that when I utilize the Lance Armstrong programs (without steroids) they kick my butt....which means I need to do them more.

I do weights every day:

Chest/triceps day 1,5

Back day 2,6

Shoulders day 2,7

On day off I usually still do some curls or body weight pull ups.

I do abs and back exercises every day.

One would think I would look better and that I was in better shape. :lol2:

Wow, you are a workout monster. I am going to try to do some light weight training. What are the best weight exercises to focus on to help improve running?

Awesome job man. You are on the right track - speed workouts and hills are two of the absolute best ways to increase your speed and get stronger. Just make sure you are getting long and slow runs in as well. Don't make speed your only runs of the week.

Another thing I would recommend is doing some cross-training. I typically tell people to get at least one cross-training workout in a week. As previously mentioned, swimming, biking, and rowing are the three I would lean towards.

I usually only do a couple of running races a year as my budget gets killed in triathlons. I've done several half-marathons, a half Ironman, and one full Ironman with another coming late September.

Feel free to ask any questions as I would be happy to help.

Thank you...and I definitely will be asking.

I actually like the treadmill for speed workouts. When I'm not feeling it the treadmill will ensure I get my workout in. Plus, there is typically a ton of people in there staring at you which usually motivates me.

I'll have to do the music challenge soon. Sounds fun. I do a similar challenge on the bike trainer. I'll watch a show and do high intensity intervals during the commercials. Gets a good workout in and makes me hate commercials even more.

I'm sure you could apply it to running as it would be fartlekesque...

Btw, what exactly is a fartlek?

Wow, you are a workout monster. I am going to try to do some light weight training. What are the best weight exercises to focus on to help improve running?

For me core and quads seems to help my running the best. Of course, I am not training to be competitive, but when my quads feel stronger, running seems easier to me. I don't do much hamstring or calf work anymore but I do a lot of back extensions which have a positive affect on gluts and hamstrings as well as lower back. Otherwise, I don't do any exercises specifically to help my running presently.

I will share something I used to do when I would actually train. Sprint UP a steep hill for explosiveness and jog down and repeat. I would also sprint DOWN a slight decline with the theory that I was training my muscles, my stride, central nervouse system to travel faster. I believed right or wrong that this helped my sprint speed...just like getting strapped into a treadmill and cranking it up.