Former Dolphin swims 9miles after falling out of boat

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly what I was thinking. And auto pilot has the boat continually moving, so unless he's running rigs, what sort of fishing was he doing? And I still think it's "fishy" that he'd fall off if he was running down riggers.

I have spent a lot of time on the ocean in much smaller boats...and I've had one somewhat close call. And I was FUI that one time. Even then, it wasn't that close. I can't imagine how one would actually fall off.

Also from the Deadspin.com article:

Again, the only source for most of these colorful details is Konrad himself. To some extent, that can't be helped; he was alone out there in the water. It's possible more clarity will come from the FWC investigation and any data they can glean from the boat, like its GPS system, but that's unlikely to come soon. Still, we can at least judge the plausibility of some of the details he's offered.

What kind of conditions was he swimming in? The National Weather Service in Miami-Dade told me that the water temperature the night of Jan. 7 was 75 degrees, although air temperatures dropped down to about 60 degrees that night. (According to one set of hypothermia guidelines, exhaustion or unconsciousness could set in after anywhere from two to 12 hours at that temperature.) Starting at 10 p.m., a small craft advisory was in effect because of hazardous conditions with waves reaching up to eight feet at night, meteorologist Chuck Caracozza said. They had north winds moving about 20 to 25 knots. Closer to shore, there was a high risk of rip currents.

Those are rough conditions, but they don't put what Konrad did outside the limits of what a desperate man could do. "I don't want to say anything is impossible, but I don't want to put it past him; it's a trek," Coast Guard Petty Officer Mark Barney told me. "Just by running it, not a lot of people can run nine miles. It's difficult. But at the same time, you'd be surprised how far you can push yourself."

Others are more skeptical. ("From the salt alone, you'd have a tongue the size of a baseball," the president of the International Swimming Hall of Fame told CNN.) Among them are the users of one marathon swimming forum. The biggest question they had was what direction the nine miles ran in. If Konrad fell off the boat relatively close to shore and the nine miles were on a diagonal, he could have been helped a lot by the Gulf Stream that wraps around the Sunshine State. If the nine miles were straight out, they would have been a much tougher swim.

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this happen to them, but I did in Charleston, SC this summer and it BURNS like a mother. Leaves huge welts in strips as well. It is NO JOKE.

Now...it isn't a shark bite, but it isn't a bee sting either.

Did anyone volunteer to pee on it for you??