Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Name any position(s) on the Bengals defense you think is a strength and I will...

Featured Replies

Running backs. Young, cheap, speed, power, and versatility.

 

Thought he was asking about defense?

  • Replies 38
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reggie Nelson is 31 years old. He is solid, but he ain't no spring chicken.

 

I think George Iloka is okay. Nothing great, but not bad.

 

Add to this, our backups probably are not NFL quality players. Taylor Mays certainly not and Shawn Williams it doesn't appear so. At least he can't get on the field.

 

In short, Safety is a position we are average at best at with zero depth. I believe Safety is a need moving forward.

 

I think it's about 4th or 5th on the DEF. side of the ball, as a need.

  • Author
I think the DB's in general are a strength. Our CB's are getting old but I believe Kirkpatrick is on the cusp of being an impact CB and Dennard is developing as well. On draft day, DB's are at the bottom of the Bengals list unless a highly rated CB drops into their lap as a bargain pick.

 

On draft day, I believe defensive line (pass rusher first and foremost) is the top priority then LB.

 

I am calling your response CB.

 

Our CBs have played pretty well but I am concerned about the future.

 

Terence Newman is 36 years old. He has been a great Pro but he is at the end of the line.

 

Leon Hall is 30 years old with two surgically repaired achilles. He could go at anytime.

 

Adam Jones is solid on D but he is in his early 30s too and it takes the three of these guys to form a starting group of two.

 

Dre is great on specials but he can't cover, Dennard will hopefully be a year two player and please on Chris-Lewis-Clark-Lost-Harris.

 

In short, we are old at CB and none of our new guys have stepped up. CB will be an issue moving forward the next couple of years.

  • Author

Have to work some, I will be back in this thread.

Cornerbacks aren't bad -- Pacman Jones was a pro bowler, albeit as a return man. I think he & Newman & Hall are solid. Add that to Kirkpatrick & Dennard (two young, first round picks) and I think CB's are above-average....but too dependent upon a pass rush, which was non-existent.

 

Defensive Line was a strength last year, and I thought it would be strong again this year. I think Carlos Dunlap is one of the best DE's in the game but he did not have a very good year, nor did the D line.

 

In short, I don't think there are any strengths to this defense unless you consider CB depth as a strength.

Guru is asking about defense.

 

Reading is important.

I am calling your response CB.

 

Our CBs have played pretty well but I am concerned about the future.

 

Terence Newman is 36 years old. He has been a great Pro but he is at the end of the line.

 

Leon Hall is 30 years old with two surgically repaired achilles. He could go at anytime.

 

Adam Jones is solid on D but he is in his early 30s too and it takes the three of these guys to form a starting group of two.

 

Dre is great on specials but he can't cover, Dennard will hopefully be a year two player and please on Chris-Lewis-Clark-Lost-Harris.

 

In short, we are old at CB and none of our new guys have stepped up. CB will be an issue moving forward the next couple of years.

 

Newman and Hall need to go!

RB is one of the strengths of the team.

 

But like Voice said, this thread is about defense.

 

Not so fast, with as many picks as Andy throws, Running Backs for the Bengals play more defense than most.

Cornerbacks aren't bad -- Pacman Jones was a pro bowler, albeit as a return man. I think he & Newman & Hall are solid. Add that to Kirkpatrick & Dennard (two young, first round picks) and I think CB's are above-average....but too dependent upon a pass rush, which was non-existent.

 

Defensive Line was a strength last year, and I thought it would be strong again this year. I think Carlos Dunlap is one of the best DE's in the game but he did not have a very good year, nor did the D line.

 

In short, I don't think there are any strengths to this defense unless you consider CB depth as a strength.

 

1st round draft choices that are relegated to STs are a bust. Newman and Hall are old. Jones is adequate.

Have to work some, I will be back in this thread.

 

Not really, this DEF. was ranked 22nd overall, that tells you they aren't that good across the board to begin with. :eek:

  • Author
Not really, this DEF. was ranked 22nd overall, that tells you they aren't that good across the board to begin with. :eek:

 

Not really what? I can't work?

  • Author

Anyone want to tell me why DE, DT, MLB, or either of the OLB positions are a strength?

Running backs. Young, cheap, speed, power, and versatility.

He said defense

The defense has holes all over it but I'd have to say the D-Line is probably the strongest. With that said I would be looking to replace Peko as he has never been one of my favorites at all. He isn't very good imo. Gets beat off the ball time and time again and has no penetration on passing downs and makes very few tackles on running plays.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.