Kobe Bryant Rips AAU Basketball

I see far more that do it right than wrong. Of course that could be because I'm dealing with the top 25% of the system far more often than not...

:lol2:

I was getting ready to say...you get to hang with the big dogs. :lol2: You're in the main gyms with the bright lights. I'm at the middle school location with no parking and one bathroom. :lol2:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, in another thread I mocked a guy for extolling the virtues of his 2nd grade "AAU" team. Where do you guys come in on this topic?

I don't have a problem with it. It's like I said earlier, if there is a way for money to be made the games will always go on. If money can be made off of tournaments for 7 year olds somebody is going to put on that tournament. There are 7-8 year old football teams that travel these days. It's just a sign of the times.

So, in another thread I mocked a guy for extolling the virtues of his 2nd grade "AAU" team. Where do you guys come in on this topic?

First off. AAU gets thrown around about as much as we call every carbonated beverage a Coke. True AAU teams and programs compete in AAU sanctioned events. I have coached all ages from high school down to second grade. We play competitively. My younger teams play in leagues and travel to the state tournament. The benefit they receive is additional practice and playing against other teams that have similar interest in playing competitive ball. These kids are better than most their age because they are on the court more. We emphasize fundamentals and teach the game right. As a coach. I could develop the younger kids with just practice and hold workouts, but the kids love the games. They are for them to have fun and for me to gauge their progress. We have a good balance at the younger ages.

My high school teams are looking for exposure. We do practice, but time is limited. Most of the players are doing individual workouts on their own in addition to team practices. We are playing in exposure events in the hope that our players can get noticed. Every player that I have graduated has had an opportunity to play college ball at some level and I attribute it playing in the spring and summer at these events.

The idea of AAU has benefits at every level if used correctly. There will always be bad apples that will try to profit off of any system, but IMO they are in the minority. Parents need to be realistic and find a team or program that fits their needs. Not all players are DI caliber, but all players can benefit from additional practice and competition.

I see far more that do it right than wrong. Of course that could be because I'm dealing with the top 25% of the system far more often than not...

I don't have hardly any knowledge in this field, so can I ask...Is it safe to say that the top 25% of the players aren't paying out a dime to play AAU?

If that is the case, then the people making money off AAU are do so mainly at the expense of A.) Shoe company/boosters for elite level talent, or .) Parents of the mid to low level talent who wants little johnny to play on an AAU team? Is this a fair assessment?

It's hard to compare to soccer. We invented basketball in America and have no business losing to any country ever in basketball. We are a ways behind in soccer.

We're a ways behind in soccer because we've never had the development. Europe is gaining because they've put together soccer-style youth development academies to get better. That's the point there.

It's nothing to say "We have no business losing to them" when it looks like we may not be doing the right things to truly develop players. That's a bizarrely entitled mentality.

And you're right, PP92, it can't change unless the right people make money off of it and as long as we labor under this dumb illusion that amateurism is somehow to be desired rather than a system of collusive exploitation it won't change. The development academies for basketball in Europe -- like the ones for soccer -- are run by professional teams looking to find the next great player among the kids that they'll then have under contract.

I don't mind people looking to make money; I mind when people have a rules-based advantage on a gaining money at the expense of a whole lot of other people.

We're a ways behind in soccer because we've never had the development. Europe is gaining because they've put together soccer-style youth development academies to get better. That's the point there.

It's nothing to say "We have no business losing to them" when it looks like we may not be doing the right things to truly develop players. That's a bizarrely entitled mentality.

And you're right, PP92, it can't change unless the right people make money off of it and as long as we labor under this dumb illusion that amateurism is somehow to be desired rather than a system of collusive exploitation it won't change. The development academies for basketball in Europe -- like the ones for soccer -- are run by professional teams looking to find the next great player among the kids that they'll then have under contract.

I don't mind people looking to make money; I mind when people have a rules-based advantage on a gaining money at the expense of a whole lot of other people.

Word.

He deflected a bit. He talked about how players were "trained" at U.S. colleges. By the time they're in college, they've already developed their habits.

It also is overly dismissive of Kobe's comments in general because he doesn't seem to understand them. He's not say we're not winning or that Europe is producing powerhouses. He's saying we're losing ground... and it's hard for anyone watching basketball over the last 15 years to disagree.

I've never been a DeCourcy fan and this is one of the reasons why. He takes something that's become a big story and a absolutely runs away with a small portion of it without creating much in the way of context. It's hack writing but it gets page views I guess.

I think one of the biggest problem with AAU ball is EVERYONE is playing AAU ball. I mean, people sell your kids on the fact that your son/daughter is going to be on an AAU team when in reality all it comes down to playing on select recreation team in a select recreation league.

I agree with what he is saying and I do feel that certain AAU programs do try and develop players. Where you have coaches that actually coach. They are hard to find, but they are out there.

But I say that with a flip side. I too have a relative who son/daughter is playing what they call "AAU" basketball. The coaches are not coaching, they only play in these leagues that are at these multi-basketball court facilities. Is that really AAU?

I truly believe that all coaches need to get back to the time when fundamentals need to be taught and at a very young age. (Hoosiers - 5 passes before you shoo) To many parents I know think their kids are all that but when I ask how they handle the ball they say "OK, but they shoot well". Or I ask if little Johnny an go to his left hand and they don't know what to say.

Changes need to be made. If its going to take an NBA players influence to help make those changes. I stand a 100% behind him.

Soap box off... :)