Marshall County Hoop Fest Recap

I'm finally getting a minute to sit down. Such a hectic weekend but the Hoop Fest was great. I'm creating this thread so we can discuss the games, the players, the scene....Bruce Pearl eating BBQ, etc.

I'll post videos and things here, as well.

For me, the best game I watched was Oak Hill Academy vs. Our Savior (NY). Oak Hill is basically a college team and Our Savior isn't far behind.

The best players I watched were Carlton Bragg and Malik Newman. Skal Labissiere was also really good. I was not impressed with Thon Maker.

Lincoln County looked really good. They got a solid win over McCracken County.

Hopkinsville looked like...Hopkinsville. They get up and down and utilize high pressure defense.

Skal Labissiere plays on one of the worst teams I've ever seen in my life. It's basically him, a 325-lb big man and 8 guards who are all 5'5"-5'8".

The college coaches were out. I mean really out. I'll list them all shortly.

Hopkinsville is as deep as they have ever been and they have at least four shooter in opposed to having one for the last three years in which they won their region to make an appearance in the sweet sixteen, they are poised to go deep in this sweet sixteen.

Timmy Taylor was credited with 4 assists by the Hoop Fest statistician(s). I checked the official book from the Lincoln County folks and they had him with 10 assists.

I have at least 8 assists on video, so I know 4 is very incorrect.

I hate to say it but that makes me question all the stats in the event.

Don't know what Thon Maker did there, but I saw him last week at Dunbar...he is the real deal. I can easily see him in a UK uniform. Athletic, can get up and down the floor, has the skills of a smaller player in a 7'1 frame, can block shots. Skinny but plays tougher than he looks. Yes needs to add muscle and weight, but I believe that will come. And he is technically a Jr. but talking about reclassing to this year. I think one more year in high school would benefit him.

Hopkinsville is as deep as they have ever been and they have at least four shooter in opposed to having one for the last three years in which they won their region to make an appearance in the sweet sixteen, they are poised to go deep in this sweet sixteen.

They should be deep given the number of starters they now have from other 8th District teams

Don't know what Thon Maker did there, but I saw him last week at Dunbar...he is the real deal. I can easily see him in a UK uniform. Athletic, can get up and down the floor, has the skills of a smaller player in a 7'1 frame, can block shots. Skinny but plays tougher than he looks. Yes needs to add muscle and weight, but I believe that will come. And he is technically a Jr. but talking about reclassing to this year. I think one more year in high school would benefit him.

He was not that player at the Hoop Fest. He was forcing bad shots (and not making them). He finished with 19 points but most of those were at the free throw line or layups.

I was not impressed by Thon Maker or his brother even tho they towered over most players at the tourny. Neither one of them really seemed to be a top recruit.

Malik Newman and Skal Labissiere are freaking studs....wow. They play at a different level.

I was looking forward to seeing Oak Hill and Carlisle as I had to play against those teams 20 years ago (think George Lynch era). Oak Hill is as advertised, but Carlisle was not impressive at all.

I was not impressed by Thon Maker or his brother even tho they towered over most players at the tourny. Neither one of them really seemed to be a top recruit.

Malik Newman and Skal Labissiere are freaking studs....wow. They play at a different level.

I was looking forward to seeing Oak Hill and Carlisle as I had to play against those teams 20 years ago (think George Lynch era). Oak Hill is as advertised, but Carlisle was not impressive at all.

Saw Carlisle last week at Dunbar...walked away feeling the exact same way, not impressed. Lot of one-on-one stuff, didn't see anything being run or no teamwork.

Hummm...they must have just had a bad weekend. I know I watched Swanigan from IN last weekend in his first game and walked away thinking he's not even a good D1 recruit...much less UK good.

I'm finally getting a minute to sit down. Such a hectic weekend but the Hoop Fest was great. I'm creating this thread so we can discuss the games, the players, the scene....Bruce Pearl eating BBQ, etc.

I'll post videos and things here, as well.

For me, the best game I watched was Oak Hill Academy vs. Our Savior (NY). Oak Hill is basically a college team and Our Savior isn't far behind.

The best players I watched were Carlton Bragg and Malik Newman. Skal Labissiere was also really good. I was not impressed with Thon Maker.

Lincoln County looked really good. They got a solid win over McCracken County.

Hopkinsville looked like...Hopkinsville. They get up and down and utilize high pressure defense.

Skal Labissiere plays on one of the worst teams I've ever seen in my life. It's basically him, a 325-lb big man and 8 guards who are all 5'5"-5'8".

The college coaches were out. I mean really out. I'll list them all shortly.

:lol2:

I said the same exact thing when I saw them come out of the locker room Saturday night at North Laurel. Surprisingly, they were beating Wesley Christian when I left at the start of the 4th quarter. As you said, Skal is REALLY good. So long and athletic. I don't think they get him the ball enough, though.

The big fella for RYD is Abraham Austin Jr. Every bit of 3 bills +.