Crazy Idea...

Okay, so I was thinking about this during my planning period today...

So Every single team in Kentucky played probably a handful of meaningless games this year (as in, they had nothing to do with playoff seeding). For Example, Covington Catholic played:

Boone County

Dixie

Moeller

Henderson County

Beechwood

Ryle

Conner

Now, I know that some of those games are rivalries, and the kids were still jacked up to play. I get that. I also get the fact that those games helped them in district play, and in the playoffs. Makes perfect sense.

However, as far as playoffs are concerned, they only played three regular season games that mattered. All of the other games were relatively unimportant.

What if, Playoffs were done by ranking all of the teams in their division. For example, taking all 32 teams and ranking them 1-32. So the team ranked #1 would play the team ranked #32, #2 vs. #31, #3 vs #30, etc.

Doing this, all of the games played during the season would be meaningful. You could also keep the districts how they are, but just ensure that the district winner is ranked ahead of the other teams in their district.

I haven't thought it completely through yet, but I really like the idea. What do you guys think?

Isn't that kind of like OH does it? You earn points according to who you play. I wouldn't call those games meaningless in the respect that they prepare teams for the playoffs. Of course some teams pad their schedule but for some teams they need to do that as they build their program up.

Travel issues in the playoffs would wind up killing your idea. Couldn't imagine the lower ranked teams (which several would be 1-9 or 2-8) potentially heading across the state to take a running clock first round loss.

Now, if the rating system can be used to rank the teams in each region for the playoffs......

Okay, so I was thinking about this during my planning period today...

So Every single team in Kentucky played probably a handful of meaningless games this year (as in, they had nothing to do with playoff seeding). For Example, Covington Catholic played:

Boone County

Dixie

Moeller

Henderson County

Beechwood

Ryle

Conner

Now, I know that some of those games are rivalries, and the kids were still jacked up to play. I get that. I also get the fact that those games helped them in district play, and in the playoffs. Makes perfect sense.

However, as far as playoffs are concerned, they only played three regular season games that mattered. All of the other games were relatively unimportant.

What if, Playoffs were done by ranking all of the teams in their division. For example, taking all 32 teams and ranking them 1-32. So the team ranked #1 would play the team ranked #32, #2 vs. #31, #3 vs #30, etc.

Doing this, all of the games played during the season would be meaningful. You could also keep the districts how they are, but just ensure that the district winner is ranked ahead of the other teams in their district.

I haven't thought it completely through yet, but I really like the idea. What do you guys think?

I would love hearing how South Floyd drove 6 hours to lose to Mayfield by 60.

So you don't have any problem playing games that don't matter?

They do matter, the help prepare the teams for the playoffs. Plus, you will never find a rating system that all will see as fair. Look at Ohio, a ranking system is ok there, but having teams go 10-0, or 9-1 and not making the playoffs? And one can't blame scheduling, as if you are a good team, a lot of other teams on your area won't play you,lol at the good teams in Cincy such as Moe, X, LaSallee and Elder, having to travel hours to find opponents.

It's hard for some good NKY teams, as well as other good KY teams to find games nearby.

And I go back to the rating system, many will not be happy with whatever system in place.

Teams qualify for the playoffs the same way they do now -- district play.

Once the teams are set, use a "ranking point system" in each region to determine who plays who.

So instead of the winner of District 1 playing the #4 team in District 2, they might play the #3 team in their own district in the first round, due to the "ranking point system".

Teams qualify for the playoffs the same way they do now -- district play.

Once the teams are set, use a "ranking point system" in each region to determine who plays who.

So instead of the winner of District 1 playing the #4 team in District 2, they might play the #3 team in their own district in the first round, due to the "ranking point system".

:thumb: I really like this idea.

Isn't that kind of like OH does it? You earn points according to who you play. I wouldn't call those games meaningless in the respect that they prepare teams for the playoffs. Of course some teams pad their schedule but for some teams they need to do that as they build their program up.

West Virginia does something similar to this. A state point rating system allows the top 16 from their 3 classes to make the playoffs. The first round is set up as 1-16, 2-15 and so on. The first round has home field advantage and the remaining ones are played at a neutral site. I think it would be hard to do in the state of KY due to the orientation, both WV and OH are situated N/S as KY boundaries are more E/W. Figs had a nice idea about ranking by region and then playing it out. Once the regional champion is crowned, re-rank the teams and have at it. A neutral site wouldn't be bad once you got this far in the playoffs, splitting the difference between the two schools locations.