Love the new AAU age rules!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost several elementary kids due to the new rules. Had to re-do the entire roster based on the changes. However, the competition was much more balanced in leagues and tourneys where the new rules were in place.

I think that is what is most important. I like for the games to be about the talent and skill of the players and not just the physical domination of older kids.

• 2 weeks later...

The old rules had a 24 month window for each age level. I think that is too much at the younger ages. The school cutoff in Boone County is October 1st. Children who turn 5 on or before October 1st can start kindergarten. If they do not start until the following year they are considered a holdback. The old rules could have kids turning 11 playing against 8 year olds. Too much growth occurs in that time frame.

What is the school cutoff date? Would that be acceptable?

In my opinion the school cutoff is irrelevant because the AAU Season is basically from Mid March ~ Mid July. Kids are being forced to play up in age groups during a season when they will never turn that age until after a season.

In essense, this is like forcing a kid to start Kindergarden before he turns 5 years old.

Just move the date to the end of Feb and everyone will play in the age group of their age. There will be no overlap.

The AAU has always been 9-1 to 10-31. Not everyone plays basketball in the spring and summer. The majority of kids I have coached always played baseball during the spring and summer at the younger ages. As they began to specialize in one sport and look towards recruiting in that sport they would play in the spring and summer events. I realize that more and more kids are starting to specialize earlier, but IMO if they keep it close to the school date, then it will eventually even itself out. You would be playing against your peer group in school and AAU. No matter where the cutoff is there will be older kids and younger kids, but I like that the most it can be is a year versus two years in the past.

In my opinion the school cutoff is irrelevant because the AAU Season is basically from Mid March ~ Mid July. Kids are being forced to play up in age groups during a season when they will never turn that age until after a season.

In essense, this is like forcing a kid to start Kindergarden before he turns 5 years old.

Just move the date to the end of Feb and everyone will play in the age group of their age. There will be no overlap.

For the last several years the kids that haven't been held back 1-2 years have had to play up. If your interested in having a kid improve then there is nothing wrong with playing up. If you are worried about wins then play them down a la 1-2 year holdbacks.

It doesn't help kids that play down against younger competition,especially at middle school level. Oh, they look awesome scoring over kids 2 years younger and 12 inches shorter. Middle school is when the age difference matters most,because they mature and catch them in high school. Little Johnny doesn't look quite so intimidating anymore.

• 5 months later...
For the last several years the kids that haven't been held back 1-2 years have had to play up. If your interested in having a kid improve then there is nothing wrong with playing up. If you are worried about wins then play them down a la 1-2 year holdbacks.

I've got two kids born on 8-31-2007. These are 2nd graders that are being forced to play vs. 3rd graders. Ky State AAU tournament is in the middle of March. These kids don't won't be 9 until 5 months after their state tournament. If these kids go to Nationals they will be 6wks from their 9th birthday. But yet play all their games at 8 yrs old. These are not kids that are held back.

The AAU date makes ZERO sense.

I talked to 2 AAU officials yesterday. I was told that the date will NOT change in 2016 but they will offer a grade level National as well.

But I'm still holding out hope it changes.

Then what about the kids who were born at 11:59 PM on December 31st. There will always be kids who will fall victim to being the youngest in the class no matter what date you use. I really like the 12 month period versus the old 24 month age range per grade. The problem is that most of your teams out there have at least one or two kids that fall just outside the cutoff. So the AAU loses them to grade based tournaments. What if they were to make division 1 grade based and division 2 age based? Or even say that you could have limited number of exceptions like they used to do. There is just so much physical development that occurs at the younger ages and one year makes a considerable difference. Then problems arise when one team can load up with 8 players who are all grade exceptions. It is perfectly legal but not at all apples to apples. I don't claim to have a fix, but personally I like the new rules versus the old ones. Mainly because I am not carrying any older kids, but I do know some that it has affected negatively.