Montgomery County 3 Highlands 1

No details, just saw the update.

Highlands jumped to a quick 1-0 sometime in the first few minutes.

Montgomery Co. tied it on a ball in the box that deflected off a Bluebird defender and into the net to make the halftime score 1-1.

The Indians scored two in the second half for the final score.

Montgomery Co completely controlled possession and Highlands didn't have much in terms of scoring opportunities.

It looked like the Indians had scored their fourth goal when a cross was punched up by the Highlands keeper. It appeared to hit the cross bar and fall right in front of the goal where it was knocked into the net by Montgomery Co. It was originally ruled a goal, but before play started back the refs got together and changed the call to a corner kick, declaring the ball hit the football goal post instead of the crossbar.

Seems odd that this could have happened, I thought the soccer goal had to be placed at least a foot in front of the goal post.

I don't know anything about the rules, but at Montgomery Co it appears to be directly underneath the goal post. I do think it adds a little more difficulty to the already challenging job of officiating if they have to determine if it hits the goal post or crossbar. Usually it is pretty obvious when it hits the goal post, but this time I thought it hit the cross bar, though I easily could have missed it.

Wow, definitely tough on the officials if they are closer than Ryle's. Rule is... 12 inches from field goal post.

If there was any doubt, and if the set-up doesn't comply with the rules, it would be easy to see the refs resolving any real doubt in favor of the visiting team... especially if disallowing the goal doesn't change the outcome of the game. Hopefully it doesn't happen in a tied or one-goal game. I agree it makes it harder on the refs, who already have a difficult (and often thankless) job.

See it mentioned again where Highlands fails to have a lot of offensive opportunities. What is the problem?

It's a variation of St Henry's soccerama strategy -- they're hiding players under the bench. But seriously... JOAT you're a Birds guy and consider yourself soccer knowledgeable, why not catch a game and give us all your analysis.