Schools taping players before the injury?

OLD RAIDER

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a doctor so.....

IMO it doesn't prevent ankle injuries.

No, preventative taping does not keep injuries from occurring but it does keep the numbers lower. We have dropped from around 2-4 sprained ankles in practice to 0 since switching our approach 3 years ago. Now, we do not make it mandatory but we encourage our guys to be taped. The only players that are told that they WILL be taped are the ones with a history of ankle sprains or with chronically weak ankles.

Informal survey: How many schools tape their athletes for practice and games?

Are there any schools that do not tape until after the athlete is injured?

When I played HS and College ball we always got ankles taped before games and at practice if we wanted. Heck we would tape each other because we had seen it so much we learned how to do it! Now I think its only after injury which is a shame ( at least at our school. ) I truly believe it helps with prevention and should be practiced more.

No, preventative taping does not keep injuries from occurring but it does keep the numbers lower. We have dropped from around 2-4 sprained ankles in practice to 0 since switching our approach 3 years ago. Now, we do not make it mandatory but we encourage our guys to be taped. The only players that are told that they WILL be taped are the ones with a history of ankle sprains or with chronically weak ankles.

I have read that it helps players who have had previous injuries.

I don't know of a high school that can afford to tape everyone strictly for prevention.

And IMVHO it makes no sense to tape for games only as I've heard some people do. There is a saying you should practice like you're going to play.

I was told by a well recognized Orthopedic Doc that it definitely helps those who have had previous injury, even minor injuries. For Ankles it helps the "rolling the Ankle" injury from being more severe. Doesn't stop injuries or rolled ankles, but can prevent the severity.

there is an differing opinion by some...

Karem Abdul Jabar did not believe in taping his ankles. He felt his use of Yoga, meditation and martial arts made it unneccessary and even detrimental. It was stated he was the only player of his era who never taped their ankle.

So while I was told by my son's orthopedic Doc, that it helps minimize injuries, there are those like Jabar who disagree.

IMO, most have not sprained either ankle, ever.

Maybe I'm in the minority then, but all my friends and I had sprained ankles with the bottom of the foot turning black and lateral malleolus swollen like a baseball before we ever played a varsity, or JV or Freshman, football game.