Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Schools taping players before the injury?

Featured Replies

When I played HS and College ball we always got ankles taped before games and at practice if we wanted. Heck we would tape each other because we had seen it so much we learned how to do it! Now I think its only after injury which is a shame ( at least at our school. ) I truly believe it helps with prevention and should be practiced more.

It might be your team doctor's recommendation to only tape after injury, so the trainer and coach are following the doc's advice.

  • Replies 41
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always got taped before practice and games. With or without an injury.

Maybe I'm in the minority then, but all my friends and I had sprained ankles with the bottom of the foot turning black and lateral malleolus swollen like a baseball before we ever played a varsity, or JV or Freshman, football game.

I am sure if we did a pole that we would both get about 50% of the votes, based on our own experiences.

Maybe I'm in the minority then, but all my friends and I had sprained ankles with the bottom of the foot turning black and lateral malleolus swollen like a baseball before we ever played a varsity, or JV or Freshman, football game.

 

I'm with you, Ram. Definitely had sprained both my ankles before/outside football...

I had my ankles and wrists taped the last 3 weeks of the season last year.

I was always taped for every game in high school and college. I did suffer a high ankle sprain on the football field once but wasn't ever seriously hurt in basketball.

I have read that it helps players who have had previous injuries.

 

I have always been curious about this. There has to be a study that exists on this.

 

I have remained skeptical as well for those that require wearing knee braces as preventative to knee ligament injuries. I could be wrong on that. I know some take away the knee brace post-injury. If it is healed, it is healed.

For those of you that say you got taped just for games what was the logic behind that?

IMO' date=' most have not sprained either ankle, ever.[/quote']

 

I never did.

For those that tape for preventative means....how much time does your kids spend on ankle mobility?

Years later..... still no hair on the ankles.

 

BTW whatever happened to the freeze spray stuff that trainers used to use? Used to see it all the time on Reds games when a player got hit by a pitch and Larry Starr would come out and spray his arm or leg or foot or whatever. Is that stuff banned now?

  • Author

Just wondering I have coached at Lloyd, Mt. Healthy, Washington Court House Miami Trace, Covington Catholic, Boone County, Bellevue, Holmes, Boone County again, and Ryle in 06, 07, and again in 09 and 10. At every school and in every program either the coaches taped or the trainer taped and in many cases both the coaches and trainer taped. Heck At Mt. Healthy we had two principals who were former college players who would also come in and tape on game night. I have just noticed that lately trainers seem reluctant to tape until after the injury where the prevailing thinking seems to not favor preventative taping. Just wondered what other programs were doing these days and wondering if the decision not to tape was based on cost. In the 60's 70's 80's 90's and until the past few years everybody taped. When did it change, and why did it change? When we had our championship teams at Bellevue we went through 40 cases of tape a year at a class A school and nobody gave it a second thought.

You sure would get taped if you ever played on Simon Kenton's old cow pasture years ago.

Maybe I'm in the minority then, but all my friends and I had sprained ankles with the bottom of the foot turning black and lateral malleolus swollen like a baseball before we ever played a varsity, or JV or Freshman, football game.

 

I sprained mine in everything, BUT the three sports I played in HS (Football, Basketball, Baseball/Track).

 

Volleyball on a Friday in PE.

 

High Knees in my Junior year of weights/strength and conditioning class. Yes....HIGH FLIPPING KNEES. It just went relaxed, and crunch.

 

Both looked like Mike Tyson had used them as a punching bag. Softball size.

 

THEN.......to beat all, I broke (actually fractured) my Talis (bone in your ankle for all, but SidelineDoc) running on a treadmill during my redshirt year of college football. A few of us were being used for a speed training program...the treadmill was elevating, and crack!

 

Needless to say, I'm one of these people that when I hear "Football is way to dangerous!", I sit back and say..."Well, let me tell ya this......" lol

Honestly, tape is only effective for the first 30 - 45 minutes after it has been applied. I encourage all kids to get in ankle braces that provide enough support and you can tighten them. Research shows ankle braces are better than tape as well.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.