Soccerama

w2848

And on a completely different matter.........how about Campbell County feeling the need to score 10 goals on Pendleton County? Never took their foot off the gas once from what I could see..........in a scrimmage game. Classy move coach.

Pretty much the same thing the WV coach did to Cooper's JV squad, played his Varsity squad the entire time, ended up being 7-1.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soccer is a contact sport and some refs call it tighter than others while others call little to nothing. Most top level players prefer a match where some contact is allowed as long as game control is kept. I know the players don't want refs to call the game like tag or hand out cards for every tackle. The fact the skill level is not even across the board makes the HS game harder to call then a MRL, or State league match. If coaches would turn in evaluations on refs like they are supposed to (less then 10%) you might see some refs changes. Boys matches that are played at a high level are hard to ref and I know it looks really black and white from the stands but its not. There are refs that are in NKY that are highly rated in the state but there is also some that are not as strong agreed. IMO the PK given NCC was not a foul but that's just shows what one person deems is a foul is not the same as what another person deems a foul. The refs have been taught to try and keep a flow to the game otherwise it starts to look like basketball. The number of older refs declines about 10% a year so as of right now NKY has about half of there membership with five years experience or less. We would be glad to have all of you who like to ref in the stands come on out and be part of the answer.

Sir!,

Sounds like you saw many of the games. Probably hard to tell about teams because of the lineups being used, but what about any players that you thought stood out?

Anyone else with comments on this?

Here is what I thought about some of the teams and who stood out in some of the matches.

Ryle against Scott was a good matchup, Roe was solid as usual at Centerback for Ryle and Bedel made a couple nice saves in goal. Schneider and Treadway were both able to put in a goal for Scott in limited minutes.

Dixie and Cooper ended in a 4-0 win for Cooper, they looked much better than years past. Snow was able to complete a Hat Trick about 20 minutes into the first half, O'Brien also had a nice goal for Cooper.

Boone against NCC was a fairly even matchup, NCC had many chances but finishing could have been better, Benjamin looked solid in goal for Boone.

Campbell Co looked impressive but it could have been because Pendleton Co was overmatched.

Brossart against CCH was evenly contested, this being said, it looked like BB played their Varsity squad against a team from CCH that was a mix of their JV/V. Ballow had a nice finish for the lone goal in the match.

Highlands against St Henry proved to be another match of Varsity against Reserves. The match was won by Highlands 2-1, I am not sure if Highlands is down this year, or if SH will be very good considering they did not play any starters in this match.

My final takeaway is this should be Cov Cath's Regional title to lose. I am not seeing any team being able to put 11 players on the pitch that could match up well with them, not to mention the depth they will also have.

Soccer is a contact sport and some refs call it tighter than others while others call little to nothing. Most top level players prefer a match where some contact is allowed as long as game control is kept. I know the players don't want refs to call the game like tag or hand out cards for every tackle. The fact the skill level is not even across the board makes the HS game harder to call then a MRL, or State league match. If coaches would turn in evaluations on refs like they are supposed to (less then 10%) you might see some refs changes. Boys matches that are played at a high level are hard to ref and I know it looks really black and white from the stands but its not. There are refs that are in NKY that are highly rated in the state but there is also some that are not as strong agreed. IMO the PK given NCC was not a foul but that's just shows what one person deems is a foul is not the same as what another person deems a foul. The refs have been taught to try and keep a flow to the game otherwise it starts to look like basketball. The number of older refs declines about 10% a year so as of right now NKY has about half of there membership with five years experience or less. We would be glad to have all of you who like to ref in the stands come on out and be part of the answer.

Refs are going to receive criticism on forums like this from time to time. It seems predictable that the response is often something like "top level players prefer the game to be called a certain way", which is a way of insinuating that those criticizing the officials are not familiar w/ top level soccer or soccer players. Then the oldie but goodie "if you can do better get out of the stands and do it". I'd already said that the ref in the first half of CCH/Brossart did a good job. The guy that did the second half was often trailing the play by 30 yards or more and allowed way too many hard tackles (some from behind) to go uncalled, especially in a friendly. I'd agree that higher level players like the game to flow and some contact allowed. Some of these plays were well beyond that. Just my opinion.

Yellow Card said "Brossart against CCH was evenly contested..."

Groinpull said "Brossart's keeper kept them in the game and they got help from the post/crossbar a couple of times. I might be wrong but I don't recall a shot on goal for Brossart."

I guess they both could be right.

I would have to agree with GP on this one. I also cannot recall a shot on goal from BB. They only had one solid chance in the second have where the player shot wide left. Other than that, no shots that even threatened.

At times it did seem even, but that was when CCH played their JV.........

And for the ref......I will never....well mostly never.....question a ref or ump that makes a call that they are responsible for when they are in the correct position to make the call.......at that point, they are the expert........In the past I have criticized refs that insert themselves into the game when it isn't their call.......

But the second half ref was very seldom in the correct position and it wasn't a matter of a "play on - no call", it was a "no call/no see".........

It was a scrimmage so hopefully he also received feedback that will make him better...........

NOW....for the BB parents that were at the exit gate after the game complaining that it was CCH that were pulling jerseys and initiating the pushing, etc......well we definitely saw two different games.......

Groinpull said "Brossart's keeper kept them in the game and they got help from the post/crossbar a couple of times. I might be wrong but I don't recall a shot on goal for Brossart."

Best opportunity i remember for Brossart was stopped by ref not recognizing advantage and calling a foul. Seems like Brossart had one anvother really solid opportunity at the parking lot end but the shot went wide left. Cov. Cath. dominated possession, but given Brossarts losses to graduation from last year, they were more competitive than I would have anticipated.

Nope, we are not both right, Groinpull is. I just re-read my post, my intent was to convey that I thought the BB/CCH was evenly contested ONLY because CCH was not playing their regulars, I did not make that very clear. When CCH had at least a few regulars in they controlled the flow of the game, and yes, they could have easily put up a couple more goals and BB never really had a good chance at scoring.

And for the ref......I will never....well mostly never.....question a ref or ump that makes a call that they are responsible for when they are in the correct position to make the call.......at that point, they are the expert........In the past I have criticized refs that insert themselves into the game when it isn't their call.......

But the second half ref was very seldom in the correct position and it wasn't a matter of a "play on - no call", it was a "no call/no see".........

It was a scrimmage so hopefully he also received feedback that will make him better...........

NOW....for the BB parents that were at the exit gate after the game complaining that it was CCH that were pulling jerseys and initiating the pushing, etc......well we definitely saw two different games.......

My beef is with the Ref not being in position, judgement calls are just that, but you should at least be in a position to make a call not 30-40 yards away.

I am not sure feedback would actually help, I feel that several seem to be of the mindset that they are above reproach, I hope I am wrong on this one.

If there were BB parents complaining that CCH was the ones doing the pulling and initiating the pushing they must have thought that BB was wearing Blue on Saturday and not White.

So who learned more and came out of socrama with better info on their team? ......Campbell Cty, that ran up the score on the lesser talent, but also got a much better look at their starters and key players.... or CCH that played evenly and tried lots and lots of combinations?

I will go with CCH on this one, they probably have their set core decided upon, Saturday should have helped them decide what the rest of the pieces to the puzzle will be.

Campbell Co might have got a long look at their starters, and key players, but there was such a gap between the two teams I do not think you can put much weight in their performance.

I will go with CCH on this one, they probably have their set core decided upon, Saturday should have helped them decide what the rest of the pieces to the puzzle will be.

Campbell Co might have got a long look at their starters, and key players, but there was such a gap between the two teams I do not think you can put much weight in their performance.

I would guess that CCH, and probably most teams, have their core lineup of players set and maybe there are 2-3 positions where people are fighting it out to start. I still believe that CCH is leaving too much talent on the JV squad, especially defensively.

I would guess that CCH, and probably most teams, have their core lineup of players set and maybe there are 2-3 positions where people are fighting it out to start. I still believe that CCH is leaving too much talent on the JV squad, especially defensively.

Why are they doing this? Is it to make sure they are seeing enough minutes and JV is the only place to do so? Too many Seniors on Varsity roster to make room?

Why are they doing this? Is it to make sure they are seeing enough minutes and JV is the only place to do so? Too many Seniors on Varsity roster to make room?

Well, only the coaches can answer that but everyone has their opinion. The JV team has a couple of kids who are juniors who are very good defenders. I'm guessing they are not deemed ready to play and in the end, it's up to the coach of course and that is what he is hired to do.

Well, only the coaches can answer that but everyone has their opinion. The JV team has a couple of kids who are juniors who are very good defenders. I'm guessing they are not deemed ready to play and in the end, it's up to the coach of course and that is what he is hired to do.

Your right, but we are also doing our jobs... Second guessing, offering unsolicited opinions, pretend we know best, etc... We all play a role in this. :laugh: