Soccerama

w2848

If 10 isn't asked for, it doesn't have to be given.........right? My apologies to young Mr T for my previous comment.

Wrong! At least according to asktheref.com. Not vouching for the authority of this site, but I believe it is the correct ruling.

Answer provided by Referee Dennis Wickham

First, the attacking team does not need to ask for ten. The laws require the defenders to retreat. The attacking team is entitled to BOTH ten yards and a quick free kick.

Second, the referee has many ways to enforce ten yards. He is not required to 'step off' ten, and few referees do that. If the referee asks a defender to move back, and the defender fails to do so, a caution may result. Many referees, however, find it quicker to move to the spot that is ten yards and indicate where the defenders should be. We call that 'becoming the first brick.'

Third, the referee usually starts enforcing ten yards at the earliest opportunities, urging players to move back or give ten. The referee also watches the attacking team. If the attacking team appears to be ready to do a quick free kick, even though defenders have not retreated, the referee will usually do nothing to interfere.

When the attacking team asks for ten, the referee will hold up the free kick, enforce the distance, and whistle for the restart. But, the attacking team doesn't and shouldn't have to ask.

I had this argument, er discussion, with opposing fans and linesman at one of my son's games.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First game tonight saw WV beat Cooper (JV) 7-1, Owen Co ended up pulling out of Socceama. Second game saw Cooper defeat Dixie 4-0, Cooper scored 12 seconds in and had built a 3-0 lead about half way into the second half. Last game of the night saw Boone Co take on NCC, match was tied 0-0 at half.

The Walton-Verona against Cooper (JV) was pretty much what you would expect in a V/JV match up, WV pretty well controlled the match... as the 7-1 scored indicates.

The Dixie versus Cooper match got off to a very quick start, Cooper took the opening kick straight down the field, Snow was able to beat the goalie to a loose ball on the end line and then was able to curl one around him into the side net 12 seconds into the match. The announcer was not even ready, he credited Dixie with the opening score and it took him a couple trips up and down the pitch to get the teams straight. Cooper dominated early possession and kept Dixie on their heels, the 2nd goal came off a curler from outside the box and the third came when the Cooper player beat the goalie to the ball and was able to chip it over him without breaking stride putting Cooper up 3-0 about 25 minutes into the match. The second half saw both teams play several subs and what appeared to be some different line ups, Cooper capped off the scoring with their 4th goal about half way through the second half.

The last match of the night pitted Boone against NCC. Both teams did fairly well in possessing the ball for extended periods during the first half, outside of a couple free kicks, neither team really had any serious threats on goal. The second half saw more of the same but NCC was presented with several more scoring chances but could not find the target, their lone goal came off of a PK after a penatly in the box. I am not certain who was able to score the lone goal for Boone. The 1-1 tie was probably a fair result for both sides.

Edited by Yellow Card

I was asked in an IM how many goals Ross had for Cooper, actually none, he was only presented with a couple decent chances during the match and was not fortunate enough to convert them. IMO, I thought he actually had a good match, he took what the defense gave him and when he was not presented with an openting he did a good job of distributing and creating chances for others... I like what I saw.

Goals: Snow had the first 3 and O'Brien had the 4th.

So has anyone seen any coaching strategies this far? If I were a coach I may play things close the vest....perhaps not even play a few of my superstars so the other teams won't get a chance to see them?

Stupid or smart?

In the matches I have seen it appears that there are several different strategies playing out, they ranged from playing your starters for half the match and truly using it as a way to get field time all the way up to others playing their regular team for the entire match.

I am guessing that some of the coaches are also using these matches as a way to tinker with lineups and formations.

I am not sure if you can really keep things close to the vest in this area, the soccer community is fairly small and most of the boys that you are calling "superstars" typically know each other through club ball. Short of a transfer from another region popping up at a school, I do not see their being any big surprises for most of the coaches.

Thank you! Those 3 matches appear to pit consistently strong programs against each other. I am curious about the Cooper v. Dixie matchup. There seems to be a few Cooper believers here. What kind of team would Dixie have?

Cooper did not do anything to disappoint the "believers" in this match-up. Both teams appeared to be playing regulars for the entire first half, which Cooper clearly won. We will have to see how things go when they play for real in a few weeks.

Cooper should be a solid top 5 team having at least 3 top tier players. I think their challenge will be filling the gaps between those players and stopping teams defensively. I really don't know other than a couple decent players what Dixie has this year so it's hard to judge by one game.

And I'm sure Oldtimebaseball is quietly referencing the rumored St. Henry strategy tonight of holding back their top 3-4 players vs. Highlands. Can't believe a coach would be that silly but we'll see.

If the St.Henry rumors are true, it's not that the coach is silly, it's just strategy. Soccerama is really just a scrimmage, he might not want to show his hand until the season kicks off properly.