Walt...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No and No. I've never been more disappointed in a GM. When I first heard the Reds were hiring Jocketty I immediately thought of all the moves he made with the Cardinals at the trade deadline to help clinch division titles for them. Other than the Latos deal he's been a complete bust IMO.

I've never been a fan at all of Sabermetrics, but Billy Beane has the A's in contention every year. I pick his brain, and hire his top assistant. What could it hurt? Another 24 years without advancing to a World Series?

I've never been a fan at all of Sabermetrics, but Billy Beane has the A's in contention every year. I pick his brain, and hire his top assistant. What could it hurt? Another 24 years without advancing to a World Series?

Red Sox won the WS last year using a variation of Sabermetrics.

It's frustrating, but it's tough when the team isn't healthy. Latos started the season on the DL and now two of the top three run producers coming into this season are out for an extended period of time.

Here is my post from another thread, which still rings true today:

It's easy to trash Jocketty now, but I think he's done a decent job overall.

There is not a ton of talent in the minors, but there are some quality prospects.

He deserves credit for drafting Mike Leake, acquiring Alfredo Simon, trading for Latos, acquiring Scott Rolen (who led this team to the playoffs) and acquiring Broxton (unfortunately the contract probably overshadows the trade itself).

One thing that gets overlooked in the evaluation process is the signing that DIDN'T happen with Bronson.

What we will hear is that other teams didn't want to deal, because the "price was too high", or that they feel that, when healthy, they already have all the right pieces to contend, and that it didn't make sense to blow that up.

And that's a load of crap.

Look how many teams wanted pitching. You've got 4 starters that aren't signed past next season. You'll only be able to keep maybe 2. The value of Cueto and Simon will never be higher.

And that's a load of crap.

Look how many teams wanted pitching. You've got 4 starters that aren't signed past next season. You'll only be able to keep maybe 2. The value of Cueto and Simon will never be higher.

I am very confused as to why Simon wasn't dealt. I'm fine holding onto Cueto, but I don't see Simon in next year's rotation....

Brewers make a move, Pirates take the guy you wanted, and the Cardinals get a lot better. Everybody ahead of the Reds make moves to get better and we sit on our hands. If you can't make the moves happen then it's time to move on. Disgusted. Why are the Reds are the only team in the league to make excuses about having "all the pieces when healthy"? Cardinals brewers and pirates aren't doing it. The best team in baseball out in Oakland sure isn't doing that... But the 4th place Reds are...