Saying "no" to family...

Hangman

Going thru a similar situation right now on a smaller scale. I would like to know if I'm in the wrong on this one. My wifes sister and her husband live very close to us and since they've moved in they've managed to destroy 3 lawn mowers. Don't ask me how, but now they are without one so since mowing season has started they've used my zero turn 4-5 times. One time I replaced parts after they used it last year and once this year. We were on vacation last week and I come home to my lawn mower being gone from the garage. Low and behold it's sitting outside their house and we returned late Saturday night. Upon asking it had been sitting out in the rain since Thursday, and they still hadn't used it. Last night while I was away from the house they called wanting to know where the keys to the mower were. Am I wrong to tell them they can't use it??? The kicker they've bought like 2 new vehicles in the past 3 months and don't have the initiative to get one of their mowers fixed.

Going thru a similar situation right now on a smaller scale. I would like to know if I'm in the wrong on this one. My wifes sister and her husband live very close to us and since they've moved in they've managed to destroy 3 lawn mowers. Don't ask me how, but now they are without one so since mowing season has started they've used my zero turn 4-5 times. One time I replaced parts after they used it last year and once this year. We were on vacation last week and I come home to my lawn mower being gone from the garage. Low and behold it's sitting outside their house and we returned late Saturday night. Upon asking it had been sitting out in the rain since Thursday, and they still hadn't used it. Last night while I was away from the house they called wanting to know where the keys to the mower were. Am I wrong to tell them they can't use it??? The kicker they've bought like 2 new vehicles in the past 3 months and don't have the initiative to get one of their mowers fixed.

Absolutely not in the wrong. You've let it go longer then I.

You're kidding, right? First of all, my zero turn along with certain other expensive equipment doesn't get loaned out to anyone. Now, I have went and mowed a couple people (family) place myself when they had an issue. I never charged them or anything but I only give them a week or two to get theirs fixed or get another one.

If anyone has the nerve to ask to continue to use your mower and then go buy new vehicle's etc.. then they made it easy for you to say NO.

Specifically, my sister has made poor decision after poor decision in her life and I've constantly bailed her out financially. But I'm tired of enabling her and I've had to cut the cord. Not easy, but I'm doing it.

DO NOT ENABLE. Explain you have helped all you can and it's time for her to grow up and make better decisions. She will thank you in the long run.

I had to tell my mom that some of the repairs needed for her home were beyond my capacity for a few years. I told her she's sitting on 83 acres of land that only 1 acre is actually used' date=' and that she COULD pay for repairs herself by selling even a few acres or leasing some for an income. I felt horrible.[/quote']

I wouldn't feel horrible, I think what you told her is logical and in this day and age with everything rising makes excellent sense.