Man Confronts Officers After They Shoot His Dog In His Back Yard

Ones that would pertain to finding them, sure.

If you had an Autistic child that had roamed off on a 100 degree day, you would be OK with the police not checking the neighboring properties for you child if the neighbors were not home to give permission?

How about your wife is being held hostage after a robbery went bad at the store she was shopping in and the police had to break into the house next door to facilitate entry into the building she was in to rescue her? Just let her die, right?

The world unfortunately isn't always back and white as much as we would all love for it to be...but in every case I have no problem with my privacy or your privacy being invaded if it means saving a life.

Your second example is completely within the rights of the police in that situation.

As to the first one, yes, I'd be okay with it.

Also we're not talking about solely the right to privacy here. We're talking about Constitutional Rights as a whole. If you're allowed to crap all over one, then you what's to stop doing the same to other rights.

Let's turn the tables, you have a child that is missing. They go door to door looking. A neighbor on the street, one you don't know, refuses to let the police search his home or property without a warrant. You feel you should be allowed to force your way into his home, by force if necessary, to search the home, without consequence?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your second example is completely within the rights of the police in that situation.

As to the first one, yes, I'd be okay with it.

Also we're not talking about solely the right to privacy here. We're talking about Constitutional Rights as a whole. If you're allowed to crap all over one, then you what's to stop doing the same to other rights.

Let's turn the tables, you have a child that is missing. They go door to door looking. A neighbor on the street, one you don't know, refuses to let the police search his home or property without a warrant. You feel you should be allowed to force your way into his home, by force if necessary, to search the home, without consequence?

What other rights have been set aside to save a life other than privacy. Saying the police have the ability or right to take away your right to vote or some other constitutional right is much different than looking in your yard for a kid.

What other rights have been set aside to save a life other than privacy. Saying the police have the ability or right to take away your right to vote or some other constitutional right is much different than looking in your yard for a kid.

Want to answer the question or no?

If there is a reason to believe the child is there yes, but if they have reason to think the child is there and the guy refuses it would be simple enough to get 1 warrant to check. FWIW this happens all of the time in searches for missing kids and others and the doors don't get kicked in, even as parents beg for the police to do so. The police are, surprise surprise, not in the business of taking away citizens rights.

How about this scenario you UKMF own a couple hundred acres surrounded by a barbed wire fence with no Trespassing signs every 10 feet...the police ring your call bell at your gate and say a missing person may (but no evidence) have roamed onto your property, do you let them look?

If there is a reason to believe the child is there yes, but if they have reason to think the child is there and the guy refuses it would be simple enough to get 1 warrant to check. FWIW this happens all of the time in searches for missing kids and others and the doors don't get kicked in, even as parents beg for the police to do so. The police are, surprise surprise, not in the business of taking away citizens rights.

How about this scenario you UKMF own a couple hundred acres surrounded by a barbed wire fence with no Trespassing signs every 10 feet...the police ring your call bell at your gate and say a missing person may (but no evidence) have roamed onto your property, do you let them look?

Say, like this scenario, there is no reason to believe the child is there. Do you think it's okay to do? They had no reason to believe the child was in this guys yard, but they went ahead and entered without permission anyways.

Do I let them? Sure I let them. Now if they decide to take it upon themselves to enter my property without my permission, and they end up killing one of my animals, I'm going after them for everything I legally can.

That's the thing though. That didn't happen here. They didn't ask this guy, they just took it upon themselves to do it, and then killed the guys dog in the process.

Say, like this scenario, there is no reason to believe the child is there. Do you think it's okay to do? They had no reason to believe the child was in this guys yard, but they went ahead and entered without permission anyways.

Do I let them? Sure I let them. Now if they decide to take it upon themselves to enter my property without my permission, and they end up killing one of my animals, I'm going after them for everything I legally can.

That's the thing though. That didn't happen here. They didn't ask this guy, they just took it upon themselves to do it, and then killed the guys dog in the process.

So let's say your on vacation in South America and they can't reach you, can they walk through your fields and woods looking for the person as long as they don't kick your door in?

So human life is less important that your privacy fence around your yard...go to know.

I'm actually shocked by your stance. We are talking about a situation where cops had no evidence or presumption to believe the child was in that backyard or house. The fact a child is missing does not give law enforcement a blanket directive to look wherever they want and trample the 4th ammendment. We are talking about a homeowner who did nothing wrong and had his dog secured properly . The cops didn't have a warrant to enter his private property and they did so and while in his private property they shot his dog because he felt threatened. The dog who had a right to be there probably felt threatened by a strange person who had no right to be there .

If a cop knocked on my door and said a child was missing and asked permission to search my yard I would obviously say yes . But if I wanted to be a jerk and say no that is my right as an American protected by the Constitution.

I'm actually shocked by your stance. We are talking about a situation where cops had no evidence or presumption to believe the child was in that backyard or house. The fact a child is missing does not give law enforcement a blanket directive to look wherever they want and trample the 4th ammendment. We are talking about a homeowner who did nothing wrong and had his dog secured properly . The cops didn't have a warrant to enter his private property and they did so and while in his private property they shot his dog because he felt threatened. The dog who had a right to be there probably felt threatened by a strange person who had no right to be there .

If a cop knocked on my door and said a child was missing and asked permission to search my yard I would obviously say yes . But if I wanted to be a jerk and say no that is my right as an American protected by the Constitution.

The assumption comes from he is missing from that very neighborhood and he would not respond to voices. Hard to think that the officer knew every inch of that property and if a child could or could not get into the yard.

The assumption comes from he is missing from that very neighborhood and he would not respond to voices. Hard to think that the officer knew every inch of that property and if a child could or could not get into the yard.

The bolded just doesn't cut it.

Do you think there are judges that would sign a blanket search warrant like you are suggesting ? If not then the police didn't have a right to hop the fence.