Does anyone remember Npt's Donna Murphy??

I remember her in college. She was a great player. That was back in the day when Morehead State beat UK. She also had great teammates in Donna Stevens, Robin Harmon and a little guard who was a ballhandling whiz from Breathitt County named Laura ?, whose last name escapes me at the moment. Murphy was the first Miss Basketball in Kentucky I think. She was something to watch and could play with anyone.

I remember her in college. She was a great player. That was back in the day when Morehead State beat UK. She also had great teammates in Donna Stevens, Robin Harmon and a little guard who was a ballhandling whiz from Breathitt County named Laura ?, whose last name escapes me at the moment. Murphy was the first Miss Basketball in Kentucky I think. She was something to watch and could play with anyone.

Donna Murphy first Miss Basketball in 1976 from Newport

was it Laurie Heltsley from Hughes-Kirkpat?

My wife bought me "Great Balls of Fire", a documentary about basketball around the state and it had a 10 minute segment about Murphy. They showed some highlights from Nport and MSU and she was impressive. Very athletic, and her shot was very sound.

I watched her play at Morehead State. One of her teammates, Francis Moore, was a graduate of my school, Owsley County. I think the guard from Breathitt County you are talking about was Irene Moore.

Murphy had a beautiful jump shot. She was a joy to watch.....and don't think she couldn't do it today if she were in her prime.

Yes, It was Irene. Age is catching up to me, lol. Her whole name escaped me. Irene Moore was fun to watch and a great ballhandler and shooter. This was before the three point line. That team could flat out play. Kathy Goins and a great volleyball player, Martha Rust, came of the bench to play for that team as well.

I think I read in the Lex newspaper that LCA let Donna go inspite of her two year record being something like 41-15. Some high school is going to get a fantastic basketball coach when they hire her. I'd love to see her return to N. Ky.

I remember Donna well. My sister was her head coach at Newport and I watched quite a few of her games. Donna was not only a very good basketball player, but one heck of a nice young lady also. Very classy player and person. I'd like to tell you I whipped her in one on one pick up games, but attorneys never lie:banana: