Senior all stars

Do you think that the late June date for the All-star game has anything to do with the participation? With D-1 basketball players having to attend all sessions of summer school there is a conflict for lots of athletes. I was discussing this with a coach from my daughter's school, she said the game was conflicting with summer school. Just a thought.

Kids in Indiana are more locked in to thinking that this series is a big deal, so they show up and participate. For some reason that is foreign to me, Kentucky coaches and players are not supporting this in an appropriate way. Illness or medical emergencies, funerals, etc. are reasonable reasons to not participate, but that hasn't been the case in most cases. How can kids and coaches be blowing off this, the granddaddy of border all-star games? I just don't get it, sorry. And taking pot-shots at the process and selection people is way off target, and is very bad form. Folks who think that they have the silver bullets need to pitch in and volunteer - the Bluegrass Sports Commission and the KLEF, I'm sure, are always looking for volunteers with bright ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that the Indiana teams are SELECTED. Those kids don't go through a process of voting to make a try-out roster (which is flawed since not all coaches vote) and then a "try-out" that is by all accounts a chaotic mess. Compare the All-Star roster above with the roster that reprsented Kentucky agaisnt Ohio. Most of the D1 kids were on that roster and two that weren't - Brown and Bundy - were invited but could not participate due to a conflict with their Proms. The roster for the Ohio game is also SELECTED (and by the way, those kids have to find a sponsor to play). But you had all the D1 kids asked, and all of the Miss Basketball finalists participate. You could make an assumption that being selected means more to the kids versus leaving their selection to chance or to a process that includes adults selecting a team based upon factors other than talent. I wouldn't be too hard on the kids.