Senior all stars

GIRLS ROSTER

Ivy Brown (Miss Basketball) (LaRue County)

McKenzie Cann (Anderson County)

Danielle Lawrence (Butler)

Javonna Layfield (Ballard)

Eriel McKee (Anderson County)

Essence Gray (Danville)

Jamie Castle (McGoffin County)

Abby Owings (Simon Kenton)

Raven Merriweather (Sacred Heart)

BrookeTodd (Paul L. Dunbar)

Sarah Cooley (Lafayette)

Shalika Smith (Glasgow)

Based upon the tryouts, I would have expected Devin Conley from Boyle County to make this list. She, Bundy from LCA and Christopher from Scott County all looked good. I think she and Bundy are both going to D 1 schools, but not good enough for this team?

Indiana will beat this team like a drum. The Lions Club better get someone who knows basketball to help pick these teams. Politics has destroyed these teams. Anytime D1 kids gets left off for NAIA kids then the process is flawed. The coaches who picked this team need to be fired. The Junior All Star list is flawed also. There is alot of people who dont know basketball in charge of this process and its making the state of Kentucky look bad.

To call the tryouts street ball would be a compliment. It was some of the worst basketball I have ever seen.

Before the tryouts I looked at the Indiana roster. 12 of the 13 girls are going to a D1 school. I tried to find information on their tryouts, but couldn't. Then I found the following on the ibcacoaches.com web site:

"Miss Basketball is selected through a balloting process of coaches and media overseen by game organizers from the IBCA. The remainder of the team is finalized by All-Star game director Charlie Hall after observing numerous games and events throughout the season, conferring with coaches, school officials and media across the state and reviewing votes submitted by coaches and media who each can recommend up to 12 players."

It doesn't sound like they even have a tryout. In hind sight, Sunday was not a tryout either.

Kentucky has 9 girls going to a D1 school that I am aware of:

Ivy Brown (LaRue County) - Western Kentucky

Katelin Bundy (Lexington Christian) - Belmont

Makenzie Cann (Anderson County) - Cincinnati

Devin Conley (Garrard County) - Binghamton

Danielle Lawrence (Lou. Butler) - IUPUI

Eriel McKee (Anderson County) - Morehead State

Madison Raque (Eastern) - UNC-Wilmington

Daijia Ruffin (Sacred Heart) - Tennessee-Martin

Madison Rich (Edmonson County) - Austin Peay

Shalika Smith (Glasgow) - Western Kentucky

Sara Cooley (Lafayette) - Canisus

I am not sure if all of these girls were at the tryout or not. But the ones that were, you could tell why they are going to a D1 school. They may not have (been able to) taken the most shots on the teams they were on, but it was clear they played the game at a higher level. The way they move on the court, their ability to see the court - I never saw one of them take a bad shot, saw them defend, rebound ,etc. Their overall game was just better.

In the end, it doesn't matter. I am glad for the girls who made it, feel bad for the girls who should have but didn't, feel worse for the girls on the team that won't have the best team around them when they play in the games.

To call the tryouts street ball would be a compliment. It was some of the worst basketball I have ever seen.

Before the tryouts I looked at the Indiana roster. 12 of the 13 girls are going to a D1 school. I tried to find information on their tryouts, but couldn't. Then I found the following on the ibcacoaches.com web site:

"Miss Basketball is selected through a balloting process of coaches and media overseen by game organizers from the IBCA. The remainder of the team is finalized by All-Star game director Charlie Hall after observing numerous games and events throughout the season, conferring with coaches, school officials and media across the state and reviewing votes submitted by coaches and media who each can recommend up to 12 players."

It doesn't sound like they even have a tryout. In hind sight, Sunday was not a tryout either.

Kentucky has 9 girls going to a D1 school that I am aware of:

Ivy Brown (LaRue County) - Western Kentucky

Katelin Bundy (Lexington Christian) - Belmont

Makenzie Cann (Anderson County) - Cincinnati

Devin Conley (Garrard County) - Binghamton

Danielle Lawrence (Lou. Butler) - IUPUI

Eriel McKee (Anderson County) - Morehead State

Madison Raque (Eastern) - UNC-Wilmington

Daijia Ruffin (Sacred Heart) - Tennessee-Martin

Madison Rich (Edmonson County) - Austin Peay

Shalika Smith (Glasgow) - Western Kentucky

Sara Cooley (Lafayette) - Canisus

I am not sure if all of these girls were at the tryout or not. But the ones that were, you could tell why they are going to a D1 school. They may not have (been able to) taken the most shots on the teams they were on, but it was clear they played the game at a higher level. The way they move on the court, their ability to see the court - I never saw one of them take a bad shot, saw them defend, rebound ,etc. Their overall game was just better.

In the end, it doesn't matter. I am glad for the girls who made it, feel bad for the girls who should have but didn't, feel worse for the girls on the team that won't have the best team around them when they play in the games.

you have 11 kids listed there and 5 are not on all-star roster for one reason or another (some hurt, some didnt attend).

You're right. Sorry my math was bad. And I couldn't find a list of girls going to D II schools. I think in girls basketball there is a fine line between mid-major D 1 and D II. I have seen a lot of girls choose to play D II over D 1 for various reasons. My point was that if our process was closer to Indiana's I think our team would have looked closer to the second list (and adding Rankin and Kiernan). But just my opinion.

You're right. Sorry my math was bad. And I couldn't find a list of girls going to D II schools. I think in girls basketball there is a fine line between mid-major D 1 and D II. I have seen a lot of girls choose to play D II over D 1 for various reasons. My point was that if our process was closer to Indiana's I think our team would have looked closer to the second list (and adding Rankin and Kiernan). But just my opinion.

no problem......my point is if your numbers are accurate, almost half of the top kids in Kentucky are not representing Kentucky. This game used to mean something.....times are changin'.