Hue Jackson: Andy Dalton “on the cusp of something really good”

“The first thing I want to do with him is go back to the fundamentals that you use playing the game. From how you get under center, how you take the snap, the sense of urgency in your drop, where you put your eyes, how we’re finishing our throws, our progression,” Jackson said. “I think Andy’s going to learn that there’s a time in the National Football League where you have to say uncle and just throw the ball away. The key to quarterbacking in the National Football League number one is winning and he has that trait. Number two is being able to win the big games and obviously that’s the hump we have to get over. I think the guy has the makeup to do it.”

Jackson also stressed the need to develop an effective running game and receiving corps around Dalton to put him in the best possible situation to succeed, something that is occasionally overlooked in criticisms of quarterbacks whose teams don’t win the Super Bowl. The good news for Dalton is they are also often overlooked when quarterbacks get fat new extensions for being at the helm of a winning team, so a deeper playoff run should benefit him even if it comes with a lot of help from other positions.

Hue Jackson: Andy Dalton ?on the cusp of something really good? | ProFootballTalk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will have an extension sooner rather than later. Either way, the Bengals aren't taking a QB in the first couple of rounds, of that you can be sure. I'd be shocked if voluntary OTA's come and go and Dalton hasn't been locked up to something L.A.R.G.E.

This. This. And This.

He will have an extension sooner rather than later. Either way, the Bengals aren't taking a QB in the first couple of rounds, of that you can be sure. I'd be shocked if voluntary OTA's come and go and Dalton hasn't been locked up to something L.A.R.G.E.

Yep, he will be signed to an extension. Bengals really have no other choice. It will come in around 15M a year, I believe. No way the take QB in first 2, probably three rounds. They have a pretty capable back up for a year or two. They don't have a pressing need there, regardless what some may think. Kaepernick is asking 18M and the 49ers are balking. He has a much better body of work when you take the playoffs into account. He will probably settle for 16-17 M. The jkey to these things is really not the annual #, but the guaranteed $$

I get the feeling Dalton is being handled with kid gloves.

Me too. I got that feeling after some of Dalton's press conferences during the 2012 season that he would become very defensive when asked some questions that were geared to his play. He did the same last year and went as far as not taking any of the blame for poor play.

I think the coaches know he just isn't mentally strong enough mentally and know they must talk positive when discussing Andy.

I just don't think he has the mental fortitude to play QB in the league.

Yep, he will be signed to an extension. Bengals really have no other choice. It will come in around 15M a year, I believe. No way the take QB in first 2, probably three rounds. They have a pretty capable back up for a year or two. They don't have a pressing need there, regardless what some may think. Kaepernick is asking 18M and the 49ers are balking. He has a much better body of work when you take the playoffs into account. He will probably settle for 16-17 M. The jkey to these things is really not the annual #, but the guaranteed $$

I am thinking more like the 12M to 13M range but that is pure speculation.

I am speculating also off of Kaepernick's numbers I heard yesterday. Dalton has had more success than many getting paid more, not saying he is better, but his success in leading the Bengals to the playoffs 3 straifght years is hard to match and there are QB's like Ryan and Cutler who make more than 15M. Now, the obvious, is he has won no playoff games. I still think he has the upper hand.

These things play out to the Bengals staying as low as they can and stress the possible injury for 3 years, next year and two Franchise tags (doesn't mean they will do it, but they can do it). Dalton is gambling no injury, making the playoffs and winning a game or two and hit the open market where he will get paid more than 15M per year, if he plays as he has.

Atkins was way smart signing when he did before the injury. Who knows if he will be the same when he returns? He's got his guaranteed 26M (I believe that was his guarantee). Michael Johnson rolled the dice

and won.

So Dalton has had an up close look at both scenarios. He might settle for 12-13M, if the guarantee is higher and years less.

Rivers got $15.3 per year in 09 from the Chargers. Matt Schaub got $15.5 per year from the Texans in 2012 (:scared:). Matt Stafford got $17.7 from the Lions last year. Tony Romo got $18 per year from the Cowboys last April.

There is no way Dalton is signing for less than $15.5 per year. I would expect both he and Cam Newton will be in an area between $15.5 and $18 per season, and both will have guaranteed money in the $35M to $45M range.

Cam Newton: 48 games / 48 starts / 59.8 comp pct / 11,299 passing yards / 64 TD / 42 INT / 114 sacks / 2,032 rushing yds / 28 rushing TD's / 18 fumbles / 1 post-season

Andy Dalton: 48 games / 48 starts / 60.9 comp pct / 11,360 passing yards / 80 TD / 49 INT / 99 sacks / 455 rushing yds / 7 rushing TD's / 12 fumbles / 3 post-season

Cam Newton: 48 games / 48 starts / 59.8 comp pct / 11,299 passing yards / 64 TD / 42 INT / 114 sacks / 2,032 rushing yds / 28 rushing TD's / 18 fumbles / 1 post-season

Andy Dalton: 48 games / 48 starts / 60.9 comp pct / 11,360 passing yards / 80 TD / 49 INT / 99 sacks / 455 rushing yds / 7 rushing TD's / 12 fumbles / 3 post-season

I understand but perception is a powerful player.

I understand but perception is a powerful player.

Understand what? Since they came in the same year, I was just posting both sets of stats, I honestly wasn't trying to make any point. I do think they are closer than most would think in terms of productivity and value, but that wasn't the intent of my posting.

They are both going to get paid, of that there is no doubt.

For the record, Cam has stated he will not holdout, Andy hasn't made that declaration. I'm on record as saying if I was his agent, I wouldn't be excited about my guy playing QB in the last year of a deal. Further, if I'm the Bengals, I don't want my fans to hate my starting QB more than they already do, so they may not want to paint Andy into the corner to see what happens.