Hue Jackson: Andy Dalton “on the cusp of something really good”

FC ... I hesitate to enter a debate with you. You believe what you want to believe. For the others reading along, I will comment that your argument about Dalton having really good receivers is a moot point. It doesn't matter if he has the greatest receivers in the NFL (which he definitely does not), Dalton still has to have the arm to get them the ball. If he was one of leading QB's in the NFL last year at completing long balls, he deserves credit and it flies in the face of those who want to say he can't complete long balls.

On the receivers, if you are trying to claim Marvin Jones is a top NFL receiver, please do not look at stats to try and back that claim. He was #53 in yards and tied for #72 in receptions. Green is a great one but he had a bit of an off year last year with all the drops.

As I said in the beginning I agree that Dalton's arm is not as bad as people make it out to be. People make his arm out to be completely horrible, and I agree it is not. However using the completions on long balls to show he has a good deep ball is off base too. That's something even NFL guys who break down films talk about how he does struggle with the deep ball. Teams dare the Bengals to beat them deep with Dalton. Which means he will have better opportunities to complete more long passes. Yet even with those opportunities there were many deep throws that he didn't even give a guy like Green a chance to make a play on it. So as I was saying while he may have had a lot of completions, with teams daring the Bengals to beat them deep. There is probably a good chance other QB's could have done very similar when it comes to the long ball.

As for Marvin Jones you do realize he had most of those numbers while not even getting the 2nd most WR snaps last year? He is definitely a very good and up coming receiver. Where did Jones rank in TD's even though he wasn't get all the snaps as many other WR's. I sure hope his career ends up as good as another WR who people claimed that all he did was catch TD's. :D

So I agree Dalton's arm is not as bad as people say, however I disagree with that stat shows he is one of the best at the long ball for the reasons stated. And the Bengals WR core was regarded as one of the best last year.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way VOR it just has been awhile since any real Bengal talk. So now that UK's season is done my focus is going back to the Bengals. :D

I do think Dalton will do much better with Hue, and if the playoff game was any indication in regards to the deep ball then I will be very happy. That playoff game while Dalton had some horrible passes, that playoff game was the best I ever seen him throw the deep ball.