Trinity 59 Ballard 58 (7th Region Championship)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final.

More to come on this one. Have to find my way home from Valley Station.

I made the comment on here after the LIT that Trinity was the best team in the state,yeah I got blowed away,,but I do believe Trinity beat Ballard when it counted the most.....

I made the comment on here after the LIT that Trinity was the best team in the state,yeah I got blowed away,,but I do believe Trinity beat Ballard when it counted the most.....

Yes, I think we were the only two that saw it that way. One of the best high school basketball games you will ever see. As in the old thread back in December, a defensive minded team would be the most likely to beat Ballard. You could not beat them if you let both Snider and Martin both go off on you for 20. Thus a very key part of the game was Ramser on Martin. Ramser led Trinity with 14 points and held Martin to 9.

Side Note: one of the most creative chants I have heard this season was by the Trinity students at the end of the game. With about 15 seconds left Snider went to the line with Ballard trailing 59-57 for two shots. Time out was called with the place going wild. With Rick Pitino watching from his seat in the balcony, the Trinity students started chanting, "Ricky's watching". It was ingenious. And then of all things he missed the first free throw. Gotta love kids these days.

the directors of the 6th and 7th regionals don't allow any types of broadcasts of the games.

I wish they would reconsider that issue. With decisions like that and the decision to build a gym for the regional tournaments in far southwestern Jefferson County, it is not surprising that interest in high school basketball in Jefferson County is not what it used to be.

I wish they would reconsider that issue. With decisions like that and the decision to build a gym for the regional tournaments in far southwestern Jefferson County, it is not surprising that interest in high school basketball in Jefferson County is not what it used to be.

Trinity had a great student section, Ballard not so much.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm a Trinity guy and had a 45 minute drive (including early rush hour traffic on I-264) to get to Valley for the game last night. The parking is atrocious if you play in a late game so get there early. Other then that I don't understand all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the gym at Valley. I've heard more then one Trinity person complain about the drive. Other regions have longer drives. We in Jefferson County are spoiled I guess. Bottom line is they could have built that thing anywhere and there would have been someone upset about where it was located.

Look at my picture in the update thread. There was no shortage of people there.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm a Trinity guy and had a 45 minute drive (including early rush hour traffic on I-264) to get to Valley for the game last night. The parking is atrocious if you play in a late game so get there early. Other then that I don't understand all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the gym at Valley. I've heard more then one Trinity person complain about the drive. Other regions have longer drives. We in Jefferson County are spoiled I guess. Bottom line is they could have built that thing anywhere and there would have been someone upset about where it was located.

Look at my picture in the update thread. There was no shortage of people there.

It's a problem without a solution at the moment. Valley's not bad, but if the place was centrally located and in a facility even bigger, there would have been another thousand people in attendance.

But that facility simply doesn't exist. Louisville Gardens would be the only appropriate spot with an appropriate capacity, but it's defunct. Valley it is.

I have only seen Ballard play once this year, did they press Trinity a lot in this game. I only ask because I know Hoptown has one of the best presses in the state. I also know Trinity's guards are very good, but prone to turnovers when hurried. Wondering if Ballard didn't press, what kind of difference will Trinity's gameplan be against a game long full court press.

I have only seen Ballard play once this year, did they press Trinity a lot in this game. I only ask because I know Hoptown has one of the best presses in the state. I also know Trinity's guards are very good, but prone to turnovers when hurried. Wondering if Ballard didn't press, what kind of difference will Trinity's gameplan be against a game long full court press.

Yeah, Ballard pressed the entire game and their pressure is relentless when they turn it on. Quentin Snider is fast when running full speed and quick with a sudden move; he frustrates the heck out of opposing guards. Ivory's experience last night was nothing different.

If Hoptown's pressure is anything like that, I'll be very impressed.

Thanks....should be a great matchup. For Trinity, it will be like playing Ballard again, so they actually may have the advantage. It will be really the first time they will play a team that can handle the press and control the game tempo. Many teams have tried and failed....Trinity has proven they can do it, and I expect them to do well. It should be a heck of a game and very close.

Hoptown has more overall quickness and speed 1-8 than ballard. They don't have the Snyder type of kid but they have about 4 guys who are lightening quick and then another 5 who are about 6'5-66 and tremendous athletes. The issue HOptown will have is the extra 10 feet length on the court and 5 feet wide. It's much easier to beat a press on the bigger court. That's what killed them against Hawkins last year. Hopefully Haworth learned from that debacle and doesn't press the entire game if Trinity is shredding it like Madison Central did.

Yeah, Ballard pressed the entire game and their pressure is relentless when they turn it on. Quentin Snider is fast when running full speed and quick with a sudden move; he frustrates the heck out of opposing guards. Ivory's experience last night was nothing different.

If Hoptown's pressure is anything like that, I'll be very impressed.

IMO Ballard's press really got to Trinity only once--in the 3rd quarter. I don't believe it was put on so much for steals and turnovers as much as it was to speed the game up, and indeed the Bruins scored 5 quick points, if I remember correctly, followed by a T timeout.

It sounds like Hoptown is quick on quick. If they and Trinity both advance it should be a battle of styles of play. Szabo has now won the 7th Region two of the last three years so he is obviously doing something right but... (Monday morning quarterback here)...I don't know why T does not utilize Spalding more on offense. It seems to me that alley-oops or lobs to him would really be effective. Even if he missed the first shot he would likely be in position for a follow shot or two. He is very well coordinated for a kid that tall.