February 10, 201412 yr Financial. To justify continuing taking large sums of money from this overaged bully. I'm not sure what you would define as being large sums, but the article that I read stated that he was an air traffic controller. I looked up the average salary for his occupation which is stated to be about $120,000 / year. While he is very well paid, I would doubt he is contributing the type of sums to the athletic fund that Texas Tech would even think twice about cutting ties with him if they thought they could save face by doing so.
February 10, 201412 yr If, in fact, Orr didn't make a racial slur, I wonder if someone else close by did? Perhaps it was said & Orr is getting blamed because he was running his mouth the entire game? I do believe Marcus Smart heard something that he interpreted to be a racial slur. I also find it very hard to believe that Orr is apologizing & not attending the remaining games just because he said "piece of crap". IMO it was a great hustle play and block by Smart! I do think the three game suspension is appropriate. I also think Texas Tech needs to distance Mr. Orr from their program. As someone else stated previously, more will come out about him, it will just be a matter of time.
February 10, 201412 yr So he said it loud enough for Smart to hear it but not the camera beside Smart, then they doctored the tape so it appeared he said something different? Yea that sounds logical... I didn't say anything about a doctored tape. I've not heard a tape. I'm the guy saying that on the video, the ballboy in the grey cap appears to grab at Smart's arm before he even turns. Why would he do that? Why would Smart, who you think is wildly irrational, just point at one guy and adamantly claim something like that? Everyone against Smart is acting like he can't control his temper, but apparently he can if he can come up with such a good cover and act it out so well. We're sitting here debating it because we don't know the full story. Which is it? Smart can't control his temper and shoves a fan? Or Smart can control his temper well enough to act like that around everyone and have us all talking and TT Fan Boy not at any more games the rest of the year? Think about it. You are a big donor for Texas Tech basketball. That's a lower level than a UK football donor when it comes to the hierarchy of what those guys pony up and how many others are willing to take their place. This guy comes to all of your games, etc. but he "voluntarily" doesn't come to any more? Texas Tech needs basketball fans like him (in the sense of donating money). If they thought their big donor was right, he wouldn't "voluntarily" decline to go to any more games. They'd defend him if he were in the right. Watch from the 30 second mark in this video. Guess who the fan in the grey shirt showing himself is? If the dude did nothing wrong, why not just come out and say what he said? If I were him and I were completely innocent, that's exactly what I'd be doing.
February 10, 201412 yr From what I saw in the video, Smart went out of bounds and ended up on the floor. He then got up and went about 2 or 3 rows back to where Orr was seated / standing. IMO if Smart heard what he said while on the floor, there are plenty of others around who likely could / should have heard it as well. Whether those in the vicintiy who would have had the opportunity to hear what was said are covering anything up for Orr or not is another story. Watch the ESPN video. I thought it was the guy in the row in front of the fan is the guy helping Smart up. I don't know why Smart, who doesn't have his attention turned toward the guy at all, turns to him unless something pretty bad was said.
February 10, 201412 yr This thread has been something else. I am not sure what to think about a lot of the stuff that I have read. There's a ton of insinuations and allegations, bordering along the lines of taking it personal. Look, there are a lot of aspects of life that people go through, that we can't possibly fathom. That being said, we can't give a person a pass for acting out, even if said person "feels" he was wronged. The right justice was handed out today. In regards to this situation, there are three sides to the story....Orr's, Smart's, and the truth.....we'll never know the last one. Orr is a classless fan....that seems clear. Smart has anger issues, that seems clear. I pray both get their "demons" under control. I also pray for those of you, that have had struggles I can't fathom. I do get angered at the double edged sword here. I played college ball, and was considered "one of the guys".....that particular word (which I don't think was said to Smart), was thrown around very freely, to me, from me, and I have never ever experienced an issue from being near it's use. My gut says Orr was acting like an *** the entire game, and it finally got a frustrated Smart to go off......
February 10, 201412 yr Financial. To justify continuing taking large sums of money from this overaged bully. Really? 1.) Do you know how much, if any, he gives other than buying tickets? 2.) Do you think the risks of getting caught editing the audio is worth the money he might give?
February 10, 201412 yr Uhhhh' date=' the incentive is that they don't look they have a racist superfan? Seems like a pretty good incentive to me. Especially with Tubby Smith as your head coach.[/quote'] Uh...they have no control over who their fans are and what they do. It would look much worse getting caught editing audio. I'm not buying these conspiracy theories. Especially since there's not one single shred of evidence suggesting they edited it.
February 10, 201412 yr So he said it loud enough for Smart to hear it but not the camera beside Smart' date=' then they doctored the tape so it appeared he said something different? Yea that sounds logical...[/quote'] :lol2:
February 10, 201412 yr I didn't say anything about a doctored tape. I've not heard a tape. I'm the guy saying that on the video' date=' the ballboy in the grey cap appears to grab at Smart's arm before he even turns. Why would he do that? Why would Smart, who you think is wildly irrational, just point at one guy and adamantly claim something like that? Everyone against Smart is acting like he can't control his temper, but apparently he can if he can come up with such a good cover and act it out so well. We're sitting here debating it because we don't know the full story. Which is it? Smart can't control his temper and shoves a fan? Or Smart can control his temper well enough to act like that around everyone and have us all talking and TT Fan Boy not at any more games the rest of the year? Think about it. You are a big donor for Texas Tech basketball. That's a lower level than a UK football donor when it comes to the hierarchy of what those guys pony up and how many others are willing to take their place. This guy comes to all of your games, etc. but he "voluntarily" doesn't come to any more? Texas Tech needs basketball fans like him (in the sense of donating money). If they thought their big donor was right, he wouldn't "voluntarily" decline to go to any more games. They'd defend him if he were in the right. Watch from the 30 second mark in this video. Guess who the fan in the grey shirt showing himself is? If the dude did nothing wrong, why not just come out and say what he said? If I were him and I were completely innocent, that's exactly what I'd be doing. You must be behind. He has came out and stated he called him a "piece of crap". There's audio released by Texas Tech conforming someone yelled that. Some here think (with no evidence to support their theories what so ever) that the audio was doctored by Texas Tech. Some claim it was edited so that the team could save face and not have a racist fan. Others think this guy is a huge donor (again...nothing to prove this as far as I know) and that might be a reason why they edited it. Personally, I think the conspiracy theories are crazy. I could be wrong. We might find out eventually the audio was edited. But right now we have absolutely nothing suggesting that.
February 10, 201412 yr Ask the NSA what he said, they have listening devices everywhere. Then we can be done with it.
February 10, 201412 yr I can see you or any other black person getting upset at the use of the word... If the word was so offensive you'd think it would be off limits for everyone??? If I'm offended by something, I'm offended across the board... Furthermore, I don't know you or your struggle but have doubts your life has been so bad that you should be so jaded, or "on guard"... I'd honestly be interested to hear what struggles a black man in today's society faces? I'd consider myself well traveled and have only seen one instance of blatant racism. I am a white man with black kids and have witnessed many blatant racial comments and acts. It is not uncommon (even in todays society) for me to be treated totally different when i am with white folks than i am with black folks. This includes cops, store owners, restaurants, grocerey stores. Not to say that all of these instances were racially motivated but my gut tells me that many of them were. Whether we want to admit it or not racism is still very much alive. My kids have had to deal with this on the court and on the field and they have dealt with it as they see fit. Although the "n" word strikes a pretty deep cord with me, i don't think the effect of the word hits as deep as it does with my kids. But when i see the disrespect and effect it has on them that adds a whole new level for me. I dont know or claim to know how it feels to be a black man but i do know what it is like to see a black person being treated differently because of skin color.
February 10, 201412 yr Uh...they have no control over who their fans are and what they do. It would look much worse getting caught editing audio. I'm not buying these conspiracy theories. Especially since there's not one single shred of evidence suggesting they edited it. Okay. Say they didn't edit it. I'm expected to believe the voice on the video is Orr's voice? Is that correct? A video that doesn't show one picture of Orr at all but I'm expected to believe that is his voice?
February 10, 201412 yr Dude (fan) is a tool with the way he acts at games. We all know a fan like that and cringe at the way they act, it's an embarrassment to the school, team and fans he is supposedly supporting. While the video/audio seem to exonerate him, I'm not willing to give him a pass based on past behavior. Absolutely no reason for a fan and adult fan at that to act in the way he did/does. IMO he is someone who thinks he's part of the action and is giving his buddies high fives every time he sees himself on TV "Giving it to the other team" unfortunately I have know too many people like that. BTW I don't think this guy is some big money donor, it's not like those seat cost at TT what they would cost at UK or UL with HUGE donations having to be made to even be able to purchase them. As far as Smart goes, he can't react like that to a fan. I hope that the fan actually said that word and this isn't Smart making it up, to excuse his behavior.
February 10, 201412 yr Okay. Say they didn't edit it. I'm expected to believe the voice on the video is Orr's voice? Is that correct? A video that doesn't show one picture of Orr at all but I'm expected to believe that is his voice? I'm not disagreeing with you I think it's possibly edited but we have more "evidence" to support Orr than Smart at this point. I just have a hard time believing someone else wouldn't come forward to support Smart if Orr said something racial. Don't take that as me defending Orr at all, he's a clown either way you spin it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.