February 10, 201412 yr How was that situation worse. No contact even occurred. I didn't say it was worse. I said it could have been worse and used the Aaron/Rod situation as an example because that fan had his fists drawn and appeared ready to swing on Aaron.
February 10, 201412 yr Okay. If you choose to believe that saying crazy stuff wasn't obscene or vulgar that's your choice. Yep, still believe it... Now there's audio supporting he didn't curse and definitely didn't use a racial slur. You hitch your wagon to Smart, I'll hitch mine to Orr and we'll talk in a few years... I seen the way Smart's teammates tried to handle him and the fear and respect for his temper they had. They've seen this side of him before and no one knew how to handle him. Travis Ford should have sent him to the locker room and settled him down... For some reason he didn't even attempt to handle Smart, nor did any of the assistants.
February 10, 201412 yr Dunno because I'm not black or in that situation but I think it's become that black people grow up being taught and told that hearing it from white people is unacceptable but not when black people say it. It's a word that has a bad history tied to it so, to me, it doesn't matter if I use it or you use it. It still has the same meaning. Obviously I'm not tied to the history of the word or the slavery period but in being held accountable because of the past. To me it just doesn't make sense to use the word at all but it does bother me when some people become overly bothered by a white person saying it and not a black person even though both used it in the same context. It's not the same context though. Doesn't make it right but it isn't the same context. Not even close.
February 10, 201412 yr Yep, still believe it... Now there's audio supporting he didn't curse and definitely didn't use a racial slur. You hitch your wagon to Smart, I'll hitch mine to Orr and we'll talk in a few years... I seen the way Smart's teammates tried to handle him and the fear and respect for his temper they had. They've seen this side of him before and no one knew how to handle him. Travis Ford should have sent him to the locker room and settled him down... For some reason he didn't even attempt to handle Smart, nor did any of the assistants. Have you ever tried to calm down a black guy after he feels like he has been called the N-word?
February 10, 201412 yr Yep, still believe it... Now there's audio supporting he didn't curse and definitely didn't use a racial slur. You hitch your wagon to Smart, I'll hitch mine to Orr and we'll talk in a few years... I seen the way Smart's teammates tried to handle him and the fear and respect for his temper they had. They've seen this side of him before and no one knew how to handle him. Travis Ford should have sent him to the locker room and settled him down... For some reason he didn't even attempt to handle Smart, nor did any of the assistants. By all means, hitch your wagon to the 50 year old man who can't contain his fandom enough to refrain from yelling provoking insults to a 19-20 year old college student. I'll take the college student all day long.
February 10, 201412 yr Have you ever tried to calm down a black guy after he feels like he has been called the N-word? I have no reason to believe he was called the N word... Only the out of control teenager has said he was... Not one fan, cameraman, espn crew member or teammate has validated his story. I find that telling... Like I said you hitch your wagon to Smart and I'll hitch mine to Orr. We'll talk in a few, Smart can't hide from his demons...
February 10, 201412 yr I do not subscribe to the belief that the n word is any more powerful a word than what people call others. I understand it's power and I don't like it but it's a word. It's not the word that gets me mad; that one starts with a c. I've been called that. I've been called that with a look of absolute hate in someone's eyes. That's my n word. This guy could have called Smart anything including Little Bo Peep and I would still have a problem with him saying anything to a kid on the court. At the end of the day I'm not even amazed or bothered by the realization that some white people will never understand the emotions of black people in perceived racial situations no matter how much I try to help them understand it. I am more amazed that Smart is the bad guy and the old man fan is absolved for his behavior. That's baffling to me. Rod Winkler was a punk for how he treated Aaron Harrison. Guess you have to have a UK uniform on for the player to get a pass.
February 10, 201412 yr I have no reason to believe he was called the N word... Only the out of control teenager has said he was... Not one fan, cameraman, espn crew member or teammate has validated his story. I find that telling... Like I said you hitch your wagon to Smart and I'll hitch mine to Orr. We'll talk in a few, Smart can't hide from his demons... You didn't answer the question. Smart felt he was called the n-word at the time. Have you ever tried to calm down a black dude who feels like he has been called the n-word by somebody?
February 10, 201412 yr I have no reason to believe he was called the N word... Only the out of control teenager has said he was... Not one fan, cameraman, espn crew member or teammate has validated his story. I find that telling... Like I said you hitch your wagon to Smart and I'll hitch mine to Orr. We'll talk in a few, Smart can't hide from his demons... You ever been around a group of white people and it's only white people and one white person makes a racial statement?
February 10, 201412 yr You ever been around a group of white people and it's only white people and one white person makes a racial statement? Of course I have... You ever been around a group of black people and one black person makes a racial statement. One of my best memories from Iraq was telling racial jokes with our fellow "dark green" (black) marines. Funny stuff...
February 10, 201412 yr I have no reason to believe he was called the N word... Only the out of control teenager has said he was... Not one fan, cameraman, espn crew member or teammate has validated his story. I find that telling... Like I said you hitch your wagon to Smart and I'll hitch mine to Orr. We'll talk in a few, Smart can't hide from his demons... That has me wondering also. I'm convinced Smart believes he heard a racial slur, I'm just unsure Orr said one. I do think Orr needs to be moved whenever he returns to the games. Guy is a jerk, I wish I could say what I really think of him.
February 10, 201412 yr Of course I have... You ever been around a group of black people and one black person makes a racial statement. One of my best memories from Iraq was telling racial jokes with our fellow "dark green" (black) marines. Funny stuff... No offense, but I think where you and PP92 are differing is that most of your situations involve a group of people who are friends and have an established relationship. Not really the case if we're assuming that's what happened with Smart and Orr. They aren't buddies. It isn't someone he knows. I can say plenty of things amongst friends that might be insensitive, and they can do the same to me, but we both know it's different with friends. Would you tell the "dark green" jokes to someone you met on the street? What about your boss if he/she was black? What if you are a school teacher, would you say them to a student? If so, then there's not really any point in continuing this conversation. If not, then why? I'd probably guess that it's because they aren't your friend and "they don't know you like that". Watching the video, I don't know why the ballboy tries to grab Smart before he even turned if something bad wasn't said. I'm also not buying the TT fan boy "voluntarily" not going to anymore games. So TT basketball has this fan boy (not like there's tons of those) who does anything for the team and drops enough cash to get those seats whose innocent and the school just hangs him out to dry like that? Doesn't pass the smell test to me. Fan boy didn't have cameras trained on him like the players, yet within an hour, someone's dug up a YouTube clip of him flipping off Texas A&M players? Imagine what kind of things he's probably said/done that we'd know about if he were actually filmed like the rest of the players.
February 10, 201412 yr Of course I have... You ever been around a group of black people and one black person makes a racial statement. One of my best memories from Iraq was telling racial jokes with our fellow "dark green" (black) marines. Funny stuff... Absolutely. When you were around those white people did you run out and tell everyone what the racist person said? Did you warn other black people about who the racist white person was and what they said? Did you ask them why they are racist? There was a plumbing class for our maintenance apprentices at my place of employment. The class was all white and the plumbing teacher thought he'd crack a black joke in class. Little did he know one of the white guys in the class is married to a black woman and was very offended by the joke. He went to HR and the teacher was reassigned after admitting to the joke. You know what the rest of the white dudes in the class said? They didn't hear it. The point I am trying to make is that in some situations where it is a whites only or a blacks only environment and uncomfortable racial conversation takes place people turn a deaf ear to it and don't want to be any more involved in an already uncomfortable situation. Meaning, I can't imagine anyone coming up and saying what Jeff Orr said. People say nobody has come forth saying he said a racial insult. Well, nobody is coming up saying he didn't say all he did was call him a piece of crap either. Only he and the university's doctored YouTube video support that. No other fans heard him call him a piece of crap? Uncomfortable silence. I've heard it before.
February 10, 201412 yr At the end of the day I'm not even amazed or bothered by the realization that some white people will never understand the emotions of black people in perceived racial situations no matter how much I try to help them understand it. I am more amazed that Smart is the bad guy and the old man fan is absolved for his behavior. That's baffling to me. Rod Winkler was a punk for how he treated Aaron Harrison. Guess you have to have a UK uniform on for the player to get a pass. I would probably understand it more if I didn't hear that word every day coming out of my radio. You (and when I say you, I don't mean you, specifically) cannot have it both ways. Either is a bad word; or it's not. I don't absolve the fan for anything; I've already stated my opinion of him and anyone else who confronts players on the court, etc...and I've never stated that Smart was the bad guy.
February 10, 201412 yr You didn't answer the question. Smart felt he was called the n-word at the time. Have you ever tried to calm down a black dude who feels like he has been called the n-word by somebody? I don't know how to answer the question any better. I don't think Smart heard the N word. I believe he used it as his defense for his poor actions... Smarts anger escalated because the situation escalated, with the tech, the impending loss and his continued struggles on the court... If I was Orr I would make him clear the air, either by his own doing or a lawsuit.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.