February 9, 201412 yr Then we'll just agree to disagree. White people will never understand just how deep that word cuts. Especially when used in a public setting if that is what happened in this situation. Then why do some use the word among their peers? I could never understand that. If the word is wrong, it's wrong ALL the time, not when used by certain groups.
February 9, 201412 yr Outside of this issue alone, how often does racial slurs get used during sporting events? It blows my mind that it can be that common. You'd expect the university's to police that stuff, you'd also expect that even your own players wouldn't stand for it and you'd expect that those around the idiots would address it... If it's common, then it needs to be addressed and stopped. I'm in no way saying I think Jeff Orr said anything racial, I believe at this point he did not. If he had a history of that sort of thing Tubby would have already had that addressed by the university IMO.
February 9, 201412 yr I hate that Smart had anything like that said to him, but you have to be a bigger person and just walk away. No reason to turn into the loser of the situation, which is what happened. That Tech fan is branded a racist, but Smart has lost probably some games and most definitely a little bit of money. Hate it because he's a good player, but you can't do that kind of stuff unless it is in self defense.
February 9, 201412 yr On Smart suspension - I see anything more than two games in this situation being too much. I heard them talking on ESPN today and they mentioned a coach shoved a ref in the Big Ten and only got one game. I go with a one game suspension because you can't let anyone shove a fan no matter what. On Smart's NBA stock being affected - I wouldn't say zero impact, but it is pretty close to zero impact IMO. On the fan - If I am Texas Tech, no matter what I make sure his seats are no where near the players. I would make sure he has no ability to interact with opposing players or coaches. The rest of what happens to him will depend on the facts of the incident. On "The Word" - I understand Smart's reaction and can't fault him for it. Use of that word should not happen anywhere, anytime. That includes use of it in a 100% black setting. If a black person uses the word at any time or allows the use of the word at any time, they are minimizing the offensiveness of the word.
February 9, 201412 yr Funny thing is the fan could be kicked out for good, and never see another game there. Smart get suspended, play rest of year get drafted and play. Fan still sits at home while Smart continues playing. That old man caused a lot of problems due to his ignorance. Still wish those 2 women had got what was coming to them.
February 9, 201412 yr Then why do some use the word among their peers? I could never understand that. If the word is wrong, it's wrong ALL the time, not when used by certain groups. You'd have to ask them. When I used to use that word amongst peers it was because I was young and stupid.
February 9, 201412 yr Outside of this issue alone, how often does racial slurs get used during sporting events? It blows my mind that it can be that common. You'd expect the university's to police that stuff, you'd also expect that even your own players wouldn't stand for it and you'd expect that those around the idiots would address it... If it's common, then it needs to be addressed and stopped. I'm in no way saying I think Jeff Orr said anything racial, I believe at this point he did not. If he had a history of that sort of thing Tubby would have already had that addressed by the university IMO. He has a history of cussing out players and giving them the bird. Where is the line drawn?
February 9, 201412 yr I hate that Smart had anything like that said to him, but you have to be a bigger person and just walk away. No reason to turn into the loser of the situation, which is what happened. That Tech fan is branded a racist, but Smart has lost probably some games and most definitely a little bit of money. Hate it because he's a good player, but you can't do that kind of stuff unless it is in self defense. This incident will cost him zero dollars. If you can play they'll draft you and pay you accordingly. Even Royce White got drafted when he told teams straight up he wasn't flying to road games.
February 9, 201412 yr A long time ago when I was coaching, one of our kids was called the n word by an opposing player. Our big post took up for his teammate and plowed the racist kid into the wall. Our kid went crazy. Beat the other kid up pretty bad. Benches cleared. A few fans came onto the floor. When we got our kid to the bench he couldn't calm down. He threw a chair onto the floor. We made it home and the next day I was having lunch with this kid. We talked about the situation for a while. His overall comment was that sometimes it is just worth it. I get that. I don't get that it could be considered "ok" or "justified" but I get how sometimes it is just worth it.
February 9, 201412 yr He has a history of cussing out players and giving them the bird. Where is the line drawn? I haven't seen anything that suggest he has cussed out players? Where have you heard that? I also haven't seen where he flipped anyone the bird. He implied a gesture that is a associated with flipping the bird but didn't go that far. The associate AD for Tech said that Jeff Orr has never crossed the line and they were surprised by the allegations. Until I hear otherwise I consider that defense enough that he didn't make the comments he is accused of. It would have been quite easy for Smart to use that as justification for his lack/lapse of proper judgement. It would have rallied a lot of people to his defense...
February 9, 201412 yr I don't care what the fan said Marcus Smart has to keep his hands to himself. He is wrong and should be suspended at least 3 games. As for the fan Texas Tech should revoke his tickets and tell him he is not welcome back for 1 year. Texas Tech should be fined becuase its obvious not the first time this guy has acted like a jerk.
February 9, 201412 yr Here's my take on this situation and admittedly, I am biased in a sense. I travel around and watch mr. lawildcat ref games because I love basketball and the atmosphere, not to mention the concession stands; I also like supporting him and helping him break down the games afterwards. What I don't like is all the crap I have to hear about him during the game and my kids have to hear about him. I know it's part of the game and I'm a big girl so I can take it. My kids understand and mr. lawildcat doesn't even hear it. It's funny sometimes when the people who don't know what they are talking are the ones yelling but don't get me started on any of that.... In my perfect bball world, if you have someone directly involved in the game, whether it's your kid, your spouse is the coach, your spouse is the ref, you should keep your mouth shut. I bet you most of the kids who argue calls have parents in the stands doing the same thing. You aren't going to change that call; only the other guys dressed the same as that ref are going to do that. Encourage your kids to ask the refs what they did wrong but don't teach them to argue. Now, anyone else who paid money to get in, and I'm talking about adults here, you are free to say whatever you want but only to the refs. Once you start talking trash to the kids, you should be gone. This guy should be gone; never to come back and it should have been a long time ago that it happened. You want to taunt someone, go to the NBA where they are all adults; they all get paid and can afford to listen to that crap. You do not go into a high school or college game and talk smack to the kids. Now, will this guy get banned; of course not. The NCAA does a great job of peeing on your foot and telling you it's raining. They say it's all about the kids and that's why we have all these strict rules and regulations but really, it's all about the money and I'm sure this guy gives his share. I like the trade off now though since everyone in America knows his face and knows what a turd he is. I'm sorry that this young man got caught up in the moment and reacted as he did. He should be suspended, no doubt. I don't blame him though. Serve your suspension, learn from it and move on.
February 9, 201412 yr Now, anyone else who paid money to get in, and I'm talking about adults here, you are free to say whatever you want but only to the refs. Once you start talking trash to the kids, you should be gone. This guy should be gone; never to come back and it should have been a long time ago that it happened. You want to taunt someone, go to the NBA where they are all adults; they all get paid and can afford to listen to that crap. You do not go into a high school or college game and talk smack to the kids. Here is some irony pertaining to this part of your post. Desmond Mason, a 10 year NBA player, was on ESPN this morning. He said he consistently heard crap like what we are talking about here from fans while in college. He never heard any of that type of stuff from NBA fans.
February 9, 201412 yr I couldn't make out anything he was saying. Are you watching the same clip that is posted above or another angle? There's a different angle somewhere. I saw it last night... There is an angle from the baseline when Smart is pointing back at the guy and yelling towards him. That's the angle I'm talking about, but I've yet to see it again.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.