February 9, 201412 yr Easier said than done. I gave my kids the green light to handle racial situations however they see fit a long time ago. I'm sure it is and I don't know I'm not black so it's easy for me to say. Point is you know this has happened many many times and this situation of going into the stands has came up only a handful of times. You can understand someone's actions and they can still be in the wrong. Smart has way too much to lose and needs to ignore these troll like people.
February 9, 201412 yr Easier said than done. I gave my kids the green light to handle racial situations however they see fit a long time ago. The more I think about this comment the more ridiculous it is. Reminds me of a time I was playing basketball while in the Marine Corp. it was a diverse group of us playing, I was guarding a black guy and he was guarding me. I was having success on both offense and defense against him and at one point made the comment that I was"owning him"... I thought nothing about the comment at all, but later at a water break he pulled me aside and told me how offensive that was to be said to a black man. Realizing that, cut me deep... I always think about that and how well he handled it, I had a new respect for him and we became quite close and served in combat together... Luckily his parents taught him well, and thus he was able to teach me...
February 9, 201412 yr Obviously I don't condone racial slurs and if the man used it his tickets should be revoked. But Smart's actions were selfish regardless. When you play a team sport you have to do what helps your team win. In this situation OSU was only down two points his actions sealed the fate of the game. Yes we hold athletes to a higher standard because they are some of the most well known figure heads from university's . Their actions reflect right or wrong on more than just themselves.
February 9, 201412 yr Even if it wasn't he still looks like a fool. I doubt he's gonna hold a presser and say here's how immature I am and what I said to a kid. And like I said if his heckling was simple heckling and not racially motivated he could do everybody a world of good by saying whether it was of wasn't. He looks like an old racist white man from Texas right now. That's not a good look. Edited February 9, 201412 yr by PurplePride92
February 9, 201412 yr If this guy said something racial or spit on Smart, then Smart should have knocked his teeth out. Maybe the next idiot fan would think twice about what he says or does. Can't stand fans that think they can say or do anything they want to players and coaches.
February 9, 201412 yr If Orr felt bad, why was he laughing right after while everything was being settled?
February 9, 201412 yr Again' date=' it's a black thing. You wouldn't understand.[/quote'] I'm not buying it... I've got pride in a lot of things nothing more than my religion, family and country... I've faced opposition and inappropriate comments toward all. Where does your race rank in my top three?
February 9, 201412 yr Again, it's a black thing. You wouldn't understand. Going to disagree on this one that's an excuse. You give a green light for violence ? Now people who know me probably think that's hypocritical because I was a hot head . But I can't imagine my father giving me a green light for violence except in self defense . I know I'm white but its still just a word said by ignorant people. Words don't cut kill or hurt. Walk away and know your the better man.
February 9, 201412 yr And like I said if his heckling was simple heckling and not racially motivated he could do everybody a world of good by saying whether it was of wasn't. He looks like an old racist white am from Texas right now. That's not a good look. Agreed. I have a hard time believing a "super fan" of a primarily black team would throw racial slurs at the opposing teams black players. Doesn't make much sense, but I've seen crazier things before. It's a bad look no matter what.
February 9, 201412 yr I've not read the entire thread so if this has been discussed I'm sorry. IMO this will cost Smart Millions as the the NBA will take notice of this as his draft stock will lower. I believe the NBA teams do not want the headache and he will go lower in he draft. Regardless of what the fan said, he hasn't seen anything yet. If the fans know they can get inside his head during the ballgame. He'll see this every away game. Got to control yourself!
February 9, 201412 yr The more I think about this comment the more ridiculous it is. Reminds me of a time I was playing basketball while in the Marine Corp. it was a diverse group of us playing, I was guarding a black guy and he was guarding me. I was having success on both offense and defense against him and at one point made the comment that I was"owning him"... I thought nothing about the comment at all, but later at a water break he pulled me aside and told me how offensive that was to be said to a black man. Realizing that, cut me deep... I always think about that and how well he handled it, I had a new respect for him and we became quite close and served in combat together... Luckily his parents taught him well, and thus he was able to teach me... Everybody is different. My parents loved and followed MLK. They taught me all they knew. I loved and followed Malcolm X. I'm not a turn the other cheek kind of person. If a person calls me a racial slur then I am going to teach them something also. If my kids have to endure that they have the option to handle it how they see fit. If they want to rough them up because their emotions are at an anger level never experienced then so be it. If they want to pull them aside and have an afternoon special with them on why they shouldn't be called the N-word then so be it. That will be their decision and however they choose to handle it is fine with me. I do always love how people who have no idea what it is to be black and endure racial taunts and slurs but feel the blacks should just be cool about it. Your story isn't even a qualifier and I know the difference between a white dude saying he is owning me on the basketball court, or in a game of craps or in a freestyle rap battle to not get all sensitive. Sounds like that dude is a little too politically correct.
February 9, 201412 yr I've not read the entire thread so if this has been discussed I'm sorry. IMO this will cost Smart Millions as the the NBA will take notice of this as his draft stock will lower. I believe the NBA teams do not want the headache and he will go lower in he draft. Regardless of what the fan said, he hasn't seen anything yet. If the fans know they can get inside his head during the ballgame. He'll see this every away game. Got to control yourself! An NBA GM has already publicly stated that Smart's jumper will cost him more money than this incident. Still projected to go top 5.
February 9, 201412 yr Going to disagree on this one that's an excuse. You give a green light for violence ? Now people who know me probably think that's hypocritical because I was a hot head . But I can't imagine my father giving me a green light for violence except in self defense . I know I'm white but its still just a word said by ignorant people. Words don't cut kill or hurt. Walk away and know your the better man. Then we'll just agree to disagree. White people will never understand just how deep that word cuts. Especially when used in a public setting if that is what happened in this situation.
February 9, 201412 yr An NBA GM has already publicly stated that Smart's jumper will cost him more money than this incident. Still projected to go top 5. Just to follow up on that he sent another tweet that said it would from a different GM.
February 9, 201412 yr Just to follow up on that he sent another tweet that said it would from a different GM. So that means nothing changes. :lol2:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.