Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marcus Smart shoves fan

Featured Replies

I just watched the replay again... If you watch when Smart's team mates are pulling him away, and he's pointing back at the fan, it looks like he's saying "Dont call me a (racial slur) again..."

 

I could be totally wrong, but that sure as heck looks like what he said to me...

I couldn't make out anything he was saying. Are you watching the same clip that is posted above or another angle?
  • Replies 469
  • Views 54.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So that means nothing changes. :lol2:

 

Exactly. :lol2:

 

NBA GMs love to throw out useless comments anonymously.

So playing devils advocate here if he called him a homophobic slur (which is what I think happened) does that still justify his actions?

Everybody is different. My parents loved and followed MLK. They taught me all they knew. I loved and followed Malcolm X. I'm not a turn the other cheek kind of person. If a person calls me a racial slur then I am going to teach them something also. If my kids have to endure that they have he option to handle it how they see fit. If they want to rough them up because their emotions are at an anger level never experienced then so be it. If they want to pull them aside and have an afternoon special with them on why they shouldn't be called the N-word then so be it. That will be their decision and however they choose to handle it is fine with me. I do always love how people who have no idea what it is to be black and endure racial taunts and slurs but feel the blacks should just be cool about it. Your story isn't even a qualifier and I know the difference between a white dude saying he is owning me on the basketball court' date=' or in a game of craps or in a freestyle rap battle to not get all sensitive. Sounds like that dude is a little too politically correct.[/quote']

 

Like I said, ridiculous.... I'm Christian and no group throughout history has been more persecuted than us. Walking the streets of Spain in 2001, we walked through a Muslim community or Street, we were heckled and one of our group was spit at, we walked on and showed restraint. My family has also been used as a resource for taunting. I responded poorly to that in fifth grade, since then I've matured enough to not respond with violence. Maybe your problem is the amount of pride you place in being black? If someone called you a "devil worshiper", "baby killer", "infidel" or some other offensive comment how would you respond? How did you teach your children to respond to these type comments? You're right, I'm not black but if I was I don't believe I would place my race higher than my religion, family or country...

Chip Cosby nails the struggle......

 

 

@ChipCosby: Best way 2 combat n word is 2 make racist who used it think it doesn't bother u. But as one who's been there, MUCH easier said than done

So playing devils advocate here if he called him a homophobic slur (which is what I think happened) does that still justify his actions?

 

Not as much for me. The homophobic slur doesn't have centuries of humiliation behind it. That word doesn't invoke the emotion or anger that comes with the N-word and it never will. The N-word or something racially motivated is the only thing that I think can invoke that kind of instant anger that Smart displayed.

 

There are folks all over twitter speculating on what was said to Smart. Some say the N-word, some say Orr told him to go back to Africa. We'll probably never know but for me I can only justify Smart's actions if it was racially motivated.

 

And I still think he should have to serve a suspension. I just feel like that if Orr was being racial then I don't have a problem with Smart's actions at all.

Like I said, ridiculous.... I'm Christian and no group throughout history has been more persecuted than us. Walking the streets of Spain in 2001, we walked through a Muslim community or Street, we were heckled and one of our group was spit at, we walked on and showed restraint. .

 

How do you know you were spat upon because of your Christianity?

Everybody is different. My parents loved and followed MLK. They taught me all they knew. I loved and followed Malcolm X. I'm not a turn the other cheek kind of person. If a person calls me a racial slur then I am going to teach them something also. If my kids have to endure that they have the option to handle it how they see fit. If they want to rough them up because their emotions are at an anger level never experienced then so be it. If they want to pull them aside and have an afternoon special with them on why they shouldn't be called the N-word then so be it. That will be their decision and however they choose to handle it is fine with me.

 

I do always love how people who have no idea what it is to be black and endure racial taunts and slurs but feel the blacks should just be cool about it. Your story isn't even a qualifier and I know the difference between a white dude saying he is owning me on the basketball court, or in a game of craps or in a freestyle rap battle to not get all sensitive. Sounds like that dude is a little too politically correct.

 

In a utopian world we would ALL turn the other cheek. However, we're human.

 

You and I are in complete lockstep on this. Too many people making this an academic exercise vs living in reality.

Calling someone the N word is basically you boasting that the person is not on the same level as you as a human being. Remember at one point in this country slaves were considered to be property. To me, calling a black man the N word is you basically saying that person is not a human being in your eyes, but merely property. That's really the best way I can put it into words. IMO it's way more degrading than any other name mentioned in this thread.

Like I said, ridiculous.... I'm Christian and no group throughout history has been more persecuted than us. Walking the streets of Spain in 2001, we walked through a Muslim community or Street, we were heckled and one of our group was spit at, we walked on and showed restraint. My family has also been used as a resource for taunting. I responded poorly to that in fifth grade, since then I've matured enough to not respond with violence. Maybe your problem is the amount of pride you place in being black? If someone called you a "devil worshiper", "baby killer", "infidel" or some other offensive comment how would you respond? How did you teach your children to respond to these type comments? You're right, I'm not black but if I was I don't believe I would place my race higher than my religion, family or country...

 

 

None of those words or things sting like the N-word. Until you have been called that to your face with someone staring at you with a hate you've never seen or felt before then you wouldn't understand. You can't put yourself in the shoes of a black person and say how you would react when you know nothing of the struggle of a black person so of course it's ridiculous to you. You don't know my life. You don't know my struggle. It's ridiculous that you feel like I should act and feel a certain way when racially insulted.

How do you know you were spat upon because of your Christianity?

 

I wasn't spit on, another member of our group was... Why else would a Muslim group spit and curse a group of non-uniformed marines? Maybe it was because we were white, western or military. The most common reason for Muslim dislike of westerners is because of them being Christian... That was my assumption in the moment and now...

In a utopian world we would ALL turn the other cheek. However, we're human.

 

You and I are in complete lockstep on this. Too many people making this an academic exercise vs living in reality.

 

Thank you.

Calling someone the N word is basically you boasting that the person is not on the same level as you as a human being. Remember at one point in this country slaves were considered to be property. To me, calling a black man the N word is you basically saying that person is not a human being in your eyes, but merely property. That's really the best way I can put it into words. IMO it's way more degrading than any other name mentioned in this thread.

 

Exactly.

None of those words or things sting like the N-word. Until you have been called that to your face with someone staring at you with a hate you've never seen or felt before then you wouldn't understand. You can't put yourself in the shoes of a black person and say how you would react when you know nothing of the struggle of a black person so of course it's ridiculous to you. You don't know my life. You don't know my struggle. It's ridiculous that you feel like I should act and feel a certain way when racially insulted.

 

I can see you or any other black person getting upset at the use of the word... If the word was so offensive you'd think it would be off limits for everyone??? If I'm offended by something, I'm offended across the board...

 

Furthermore, I don't know you or your struggle but have doubts your life has been so bad that you should be so jaded, or "on guard"... I'd honestly be interested to hear what struggles a black man in today's society faces? I'd consider myself well traveled and have only seen one instance of blatant racism.

Like I said, ridiculous.... I'm Christian and no group throughout history has been more persecuted than us. Walking the streets of Spain in 2001, we walked through a Muslim community or Street, we were heckled and one of our group was spit at, we walked on and showed restraint. My family has also been used as a resource for taunting. I responded poorly to that in fifth grade, since then I've matured enough to not respond with violence. Maybe your problem is the amount of pride you place in being black? If someone called you a "devil worshiper", "baby killer", "infidel" or some other offensive comment how would you respond? How did you teach your children to respond to these type comments? You're right, I'm not black but if I was I don't believe I would place my race higher than my religion, family or country...

 

Your religion can change, your race can't. Whether it is "important" to you or not it is impossible to hide and it almost always outwardly defines you as a person. Your insinuation that PP92 is some kind of race-obsessed bigot for explaining the effect a racial slur has on a black person - people who have, in this country especially, been considered subhuman, chattel, legally different than other humans, and largely still prejudiced against solely because of their outward appearance - is misguided and your comparison of racial epithets to more banal insults is, as he explained, ill-informed.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.